• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

which psu's are better than the modstream

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
1,262
for the same price? im currently looking at getting a modstream when i get a new comp, but i was wondering if there were any better psu's for the same or cheaper price (the 420W version ~$80 i think)

also, are there any recommendable PSU's around the $50 area? I'm not going to be running SLI, but i'll have a high end video card, so im thinking somewhere around 400W.
 
What? You want to be talked out of the Modstream?

You want modular or no?
 
this is going to b for a qpack. not necessarily want to be "talked out" of the modstream, i was just asking if there are any better ones for that price, cuz obviously i want my money to be well spent :p

specs are going to b along the lines of:

ati's new vid card when it comes out
one ide hard drive
a64 3200+ venice
2x512mb ram
ill probably get a lite-on dvd burner
motherboard = whatever the best one is in a month or so when the ATI card comes out, hopefully there'll b more options by then

i dont really care too much about modular or not modular, more along the lines of the quality of the psu itself. the modstream looks good, wanted to make sure its one of the best for its price, and there isn't a cheaper/better one.
 
The qpack is one of the small form factors right? If the modstream will fit then it will be pretty good for you and if it is a SFF finding PSU's that fit is going to be tough.

As for 50 dollar PSU's again have to know the system.....or is it the one above?
 
I don't know that I would suggest anything modular for a qpack... methinks there may be clearance issues behind the PSU when trying to put optical drives in afterwards. My suggestions would be the Fortron AX500-A or Seasonic S12 500w.
 
I've heard people say that as long as you use the really short Lite-On made drives that the clearance is a non-issue.
 
yeah, the modstream will fit. the seasonic is a little pricey for me, though. someone said that aspire is shipping the qpacks with a new model of psu though, ill check that out to see if its actually better or he just got a lucky one. and the specs would b the system in my earlier post, i think the biggest power hog would b ATI's new card. so i should probably wait till that comes out, and then ask again, cuz who knows, maybe they'll go nuts and make a uber power eater that takes more power than nvidia cards >.>
 
I'd love to see the specs on the new Aspire Q-Pack PSU. The old PSU wasn't really "that bad," but the specs were so "Thermaltakesque" with nada on the 12V rail and buttloads on the 5V. :(
 
jonnyGURU said:
I'd love to see the specs on the new Aspire Q-Pack PSU. The old PSU wasn't really "that bad," but the specs were so "Thermaltakesque" with nada on the 12V rail and buttloads on the 5V. :(
Not that bad? Weren't these Aspire PSU's made by Youngyear?

I recommend either the ModStream or the Fortron Blue Storm 500W.
 
davidhammock200 said:
Not that bad? Weren't these Aspire PSU's made by Youngyear?

I recommend either the ModStream or the Fortron Blue Storm 500W.

Obviously, the purchase of a better PSU would be a better decision, but also a more expensive one. A Modstream would clearly be a better choice for providing strong power and probably having some longevity (I've had Topower's that were five years old still putting out stable rails,) but if the newer Aspire is still a Youngyear (a company that, although has failed to make a "superior" product, I have had no qualms with) but with more balls on the 12V rail, why not leave it in there if it works with his rig?

It's not like I'm suggesting he puts a Deer/Allied, Powmax or one of those Came-With-The-Case Raidmax's in there. ;)
 
A bit OT, but yes.

http://www.slcentral.com/dual-12v-psu-shootout/

Whats funny is that Thermaltake only broke their decidedly defective mold for just this one model.

They're back to their shens with this sewer brick:

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049atx12v/w0049atx12v.htm

50A on the 5V rail? And somewhere I saw the actual combined 12V rail wattage and it WASN'T impressive AT ALL (like: I'd RATHER have the 500W, if you know what I mean.)

I don't get where TT comes from. They have a quality product by using Sirtec and some fairly decent components, but the specs are always so out of whack. Who needs 50A of 5V power if they're someone that's going to appreciate quad rails?

Of course, they'll probaby sell ass-loads because it's a "680W." :rolleyes:
 
davidhammock200 said:
Well I'm glad to see TT at least knows how to design a good PSU.

Your Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF review is EXCELLENT! ;)

http://www.slcentral.com/silverstone-zeus-st65zf/

Thanks! Couldn't have been as detailed as I was without your input. :D

Speaking of quad-rails; why did you recommend against the AMS 550W over at DFI Street? I can understand not recommending something you have no personal experience with (stick with what you know) but I personally prefer a "no comment" approach. ;)

Is there something about the PSU you think would not fair well that I'm not seeing?
 
jonnyGURU said:
Thanks! Couldn't have been as detailed as I was without your input. :D

Speaking of quad-rails; why did you recommend against the AMS 550W over at DFI Street? I can understand not recommending something you have no personal experience with (stick with what you know) but I personally prefer a "no comment" approach. ;)

Is there something about the PSU you think would not fair well that I'm not seeing?
AG & company want to simplify life & there will now be an "A" list with the following.
SLI PSU's:

PC P&C 510 Express/SLI

OCZ PowerStream 520W (1A less than nVidia recommends) or 600W

Enermax 535W (2A less than nVidia recommends) or 600W

Fortron/Sparkle 550W

nVidia recommends +12V@34A for SLI.
I know that the OCZ PowerStream 520W runs just about any SLI rig without problems &
if fact Anandtech used the OCZ PS 520W for their SLI testing!
IMO the Enermax 535W with a combined +12V@32A shouldn't have any problems either.
Non-SLI PSU's:

Enermax 485W or 495W

Frotron Blue Storm 500W

OCZ ModStream 520W
The a "B" list of "known-good" brands

As you can see, I didn't recommend "against" this PSU, but I can't recommend it for this application either.
.
Doom5 said:
Okay, I understand that you recommend those power supplies, but you ignored my question completely. Why don't you consider these power supplies acceptable for the DFI? Because they're priced so low? What's your reasoning? I'm not trying to be a dick, I just want to understand your point of view.
Because I do not know how well they will work with the DFI N4 mobos,
as neither I nor anyone I know of has used these with DFI N4's.

There are a great many PSU's that may work,
but I'm only going to recommend what I KNOW works & works well. :nod:
 
Back
Top