Which physics engine can do a holodeck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
twoeyes said:
Yeah and all we need is more fossil fuels polluting the atmosphere. How about use the thing to create super cheap and CLEAN running cars by scrapping the old gas automobiles? We have enough gas as it is anyway its just the oil companies keeping prices high and demand high by stifling research, bring those prices down and then you'll loose support of the consumer for such a hydrogen infrastructure (which they will probably do as a last ditch effort while they switch to alternative fuel productions with their saved capitol), then the whole thing just wastes.

Yeah, I totally agree. I was commenting on what would be done in the case of a breakthrough, not what should be done. What should be done is a hydrogen infrastructure should be in construction right now, before there is a major oil shortage.

Luckily, we're nearing the "bailout point", as I like to call it, where oil will become more expensive than alternatives and oil companies will bail out and start using alternative fuels to save money.

Anyway, to get back on topic, a piece of consumer hardware can never be considered a supercomputer. The defenition of supercomputer is a computer that is among the highest in the world for processing power. If everyone with a desktop equals that processing power, one of them cannot be a supercomputer as it isn't above the others in processing power.

yeah ..that's all fine and dandy ..but the real question is .."Will we be able to fold on it?!"

Forget folding! We'd be able to run real-time atomic-level simulations of the entire human body on it!

SuperGee said:
Would be nice a
livingRoom
BAthRoom
HoloRoom :)
StudyRoom
etc

Not in my live time :(

Why bother? You only need one room, the holo-room. It can be a living room, bath room, study, garden, anything you wanted.

splashtech said:
Why bother? You only need one room, the holo-room. It can be a living room, bath room, study, garden, anything you wanted.

Yeah. Instead of going to the office to do your work, let your office come to you while you stay seated in your comfy chair.

Though it would be strange living in a world where nothing you see really exists.

HOCP4ME said:
Though it would be strange living in a world where nothing you see really exists.

And how is it that you know you're not already living in such a place? ;)

splashtech said:

Or a room that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Brent_Justice said:
The holodeck system on Voyager..........

I freakin LOVED Voyager!!! TNG and DS9 wern't bad either. I wish they would make a new series already. It's been forever. :)

HOCP4ME said:
What should be done is a hydrogen infrastructure should be in construction right now, before there is a major oil shortage.
Hydrogen falls short for a number of reasons. It's just not viable right now. That's not to say it won't be in the future, but until then it's going to be a bit hard to justify trillions of dollars worth of infrastructure.

SuperGee said:
There isn't hardware out with that computational power and the technology gaps to make a interactive virtual world where you are in it interacting.

Speak for yourself. I intend to create the holodeck....and I'm not that far off. Conceptually the idea is different than the startrek version but it's a start. Now if only I had some money to actually take it out of the conceptual phase and into design phase we could all have fun in my virtual world.

This thread is rediculous. We are all dumber for having read it. I award the posters who don't have a grip on reality no points and may God have mercy on their souls.

And how is it that you know you're not already living in such a place? ;)

I don't. I could very well be part of a study being performed by aliens in which I am a guinea pig and they are simply projecting everything that I see in front of me to study my reactions to them. ;)

But what's all this talk about the world's existence? The less you know, the better. Now, get back to work, comrade! ;)

Speak for yourself. I intend to create the holodeck....and I'm not that far off. Conceptually the idea is different than the startrek version but it's a start. Now if only I had some money to actually take it out of the conceptual phase and into design phase we could all have fun in my virtual world.

Some company (Samsung, I believe) has a patent a "device which can beam sensory information directly into the brain", you know. Sorry, I guess they beat you to it.

Hydrogen falls short for a number of reasons. It's just not viable right now. That's not to say it won't be in the future, but until then it's going to be a bit hard to justify trillions of dollars worth of infrastructure.

The only alternatives are ethanol and microwave. Microwave is even more far-fetched than hydrogen and ethanol still requires the use of fossil fuels. It could, however, tide us over until a hydrogen system is feasible.

This thread is rediculous. We are all dumber for having read it. I award the posters who don't have a grip on reality no points and may God have mercy on their souls.

We like to do this occasionally. Why, I have no idea. But talking about Star Trek is always fun.

Some company (Samsung, I believe) has a patent a "device which can beam sensory information directly into the brain", you know. Sorry, I guess they beat you to it.

Nope, not how mine works.

We like to do this occasionally. Why, I have no idea. But talking about Star Trek is always fun.

Don't get me wrong; I love Star Trek. In college we would arrange the chairs and couches like the Enterprise D brigde whenever we watch TNG. I had the 12' theater banner for Generations hanging in my bedroom.

But stuff like this a crazy:
Wang191 said:
I intend to create the holodeck....and I'm not that far off... Now if only I had some money...

Wang, if you're "not that far off" creating a physical, fully immersive, interactive virtual reality, you'd have money pouring in. Submit a grant proposal to the DoD or NSF. They'd probably fund the whole thing without thinking twice about it. I call BS.

HOCP4ME said:
The only alternatives are ethanol and microwave.
There are numerous alternatives. Wikipedia lists a bunch on their Hydrogen Economy page. And as LuminaryJanitor said, hydrogen has numerous problems, even if the infrastructure is built and paid for.

But stuff like this a crazy:

Wang, if you're "not that far off" creating a physical, fully immersive, interactive virtual reality, you'd have money pouring in. Submit a grant proposal to the DoD or NSF. They'd probably fund the whole thing without thinking twice about it. I call BS.

I don't have the expertise to create the software and for some reason programmers just don't want to work for free. The hardware for the environment is not all that complicated. It's not a true holodeck in the sense that I can create any object anywhere but I can create an immersive intereactive environemnt that you can walk around and interact with, and if I can get it programmed right I can do it in a 20 x 20 ft room.

If I could quit my job and pay programmers and other hardware engineers then sure i can be rich when this is done. Until then it's just me and I have to learn as I go.

holy crap I think I can project any item anywhere and I think I can give users the ability to interact with those items. It's so simple (minus all the engineering behind it)

freakin amazing.

^You should start a donation drive on this forum. I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble raising enough money to buy a patent - then you could tell us how it works. :p

But if you're really serious, you should buy a patent and then get some big company to buy it for millions of dollars (and they would, if you can prove that it works).

Heck, a holodeck-like thing has such a high chance of success, I would take out a loan on everything I own as funding to build a prototype. It's not like you wouldn't make more than enough money to pay it back.

Although I know you aren't serious, so let's get back to reality. :p

The holodeck system on Voyager uses molecule size magnetic "bubbles" that the computer can operate on in any dimension. It can literally make up any form it needs to. Don't forget that the transporters and replicators are also tied into the systems, it is based on the same principals. For example when you create a meal on the holodeck it is a real replicated meal that you can eat and it stays with you when you leave the holodeck. More detail on how they work is I believe explained in the episode "The Phage".

Voyager used the Federation's latest holography technology at the time of its creation, superior to what the Enterprise NCC-1701D had, though I'm not sure how sophisticated the 1701E is in terms of holography, but I would venture to guess just as updated as Voyager. I am sure by the time Voyager got home 7 years later the technology has improved even further. We do know holograms such as the Mark I are used to scrub warp plasma conduits and mine for dilithium in space, I am sure they have created other specific holograms for specific tasks.

Have you been watching Voyager on spike TV? Lord knows I have every day :) <3 Star Trek.

Anyway, I wonder if something like "The Doctor" from voyager is conceivable. A walking talking, learning hologram

I thank you all sincerely for this totally, beautifully, OT thread.

there is no suck thing of a super computer.. lol

Ha ha ha.........what? Ow! :confused:

I'm reading this thread, not knowing a crapping thing about API, hydrogen infrastructures, atomic-level simulations or even licking paper. I do know a little about Star Trek and it's holodecks. However, this post right here totally hurt my head and made me laugh at the same time.

i just finished reading all of this thread... the only thing I can say is...

WTF!?!?!?

good stuff guys... good stuff.

I think they had one in Star-Trek, so they at least had to get one working to film that. I also wonder about the Hoverboard from back to the future, how come it aint no one has come out wit one of them? There would be loads of people who would want to buy that, no doubt.

Okay, to everyone who says this topic has gone too far, I'm now officially on your side...

When the Power Mac G4 was introduced back in 1999 (I think), it wasn't available in a few certain countries at first, because it was classed as a "supercomputer." Supposedly, it was the first personal computer to exceed 1 gigaflops, which was the limit for "supercomputers" back then, and you weren't allowed to sell supercomputers to shady countries. Obviously, they changed that soon afterwards.

Just to keep things in perspective.

So in the Holodeck can you replicate another holodeck?

Is that thing in startrek that generates food like the holodeck?
How exactly can one eat a computer generated hamburgers?
Do they taste like hamburgers,yet have no fat content?

Did they ever eat the tribbles?
Is it possible for Klingons and Vulcans to have interspecies kids?

So in the Holodeck can you replicate another holodeck?

Is that thing in startrek that generates food like the holodeck?
How exactly can one eat a computer generated hamburgers?
Do they taste like hamburgers,yet have no fat content?

Did they ever eat the tribbles?
Is it possible for Klingons and Vulcans to have interspecies kids?

1) The replicator uses the same energy/matter conversion technology used by the transporter and, to a lesser degree, on the holodeck. The holodeck uses both solid holograms and replicated items in its simulations.

2) The same way they eat a regular one.

3a) Some claim they can taste the difference between replicated food and the real thing, but no defining evidence has been given.

3b) They can have as much fat content as you tell the computer you want.

4) No.

5) This isn't known. However, it is possible for Klingons and Romulans to interbreed, and since the Vulcans and Romulans are essentially the same race that split due to ideological differences, it seems likely that a Vulcan/Klingon hybrid is possible.

6) Dear God, don't let anyone I know outside of the Internet see this post.

5) This isn't known. However, it is possible for Klingons and Romulans to interbreed, and since the Vulcans and Romulans are essentially the same race that split due to ideological differences, it seems likely that a Vulcan/Klingon hybrid is possible.

Actually, It is. In STNG Episode Birthright, We see a Klingon/Romulan Hybrid;

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/TNG/detail/68592.html

240x320.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back