which opteron is best overclocker?

wooj

Limp Gawd
939 board. dfi lanparty sli-dr expert and a opteron 165
right now its at 2.664mhz fsb at 296 ht 888mhz and memory 9/10(180mhz)@266.5mhz
3-4-4-8 1t

volt on the cpu is 1.440v. this is the sweet spot.
i can up the voltage and get 2.7 but will run very hot and not stable.
was able to get into windows at 2.8mhz but again way to many volts and not stable.

i dont want to whole sale upgrade, and would like to get another opteron cpu to keep me going for another year.
problem is i want to upgrade my video card but at 2.6 it might be a bottleneck, altho i might be able to live with it since im high res at 1920x1080.

so question is which opteron will get me to 3ghz and more?
i see opteron 165/170/175/180/185 still out there for socket 939.
thanks for any info.

on a side note the bios for my dfi lanparty sli-dr expert is 4/2006 is there any other bios i can use thats more stable and gives me more overclockability?

Well, the 185 is essentially the FX-60 with a locked upward multiplier (IIRC). Stepping is more important than model from what I remember. If you have a good week of Opty, you should be fine.

He has one, see the first line. Any idea what stepping ?

CCBWE is not going to oc like CCBBE, even on a DFI.

my original is ccbwe 0551upmw malaysia

a few minutes ago i just bought CCBBE 0616XPMW on ebay for 97dollars.

i went this route cause it seems to be a good stepping even tho a brand new one from newegg would of been 106, i wouldnt know what stepping it was... just crossing my fingers now. if i can get 3ghz ill be happy if not ill be wondering if i should of went the newegg route.

i was playing around with my fsb speeds and tried 311 again to post but now my usb ports in the back do not function... i plug keyboard mouse in and it doesnt light up, actually one side does but it doesnt work in windows, power is going to device.
i have to plug keyboard and mouse into front usb slots for it to work..

did i kill something?

i think by percentage gain, it has to go the 165.

i've got a CCBBE Opty 175 (11x) and i'm @ a stable 2.9Ghz at stock voltage and at 3Ghz during the winter...

i was playing around with my fsb speeds and tried 311 again to post but now my usb ports in the back do not function... i plug keyboard mouse in and it doesnt light up, actually one side does but it doesnt work in windows, power is going to device.
i have to plug keyboard and mouse into front usb slots for it to work..

did i kill something?

reset cmos and fixed the usb issue. weird.

this is just a preliminary, i didnt install dual core optimizer or anything. just windows, motherboard drivers.

memory i left at default which is like 3 3 5 2 1t

right now im at 1.45v to the core @ 322fsb speed giving me 2.9ghz.
will get into windows at 1.45v 323 but not stable, orthos shuts down fast.

@322 orthos fails on one core. the other is rocksteady.

for anything over 323 fsb i tried overvolting all the way up to 1.65v it wont load windows. keeps rebooting after bios post.

i dont know if playing with mem timings will help me overclock anymore or installing dual core optimizer, wouldnt think so.

2.9 isnt bad, its better than the 2.66 i was at with my other opteron, but i'd still like 3.0 or more.

problem still is , more volts makes the cpu unstable, high heat. hmm maybe ill order a new one.

well im at fsb 334 right now. giving me 3ghz on this opteron 165 with 1.52v to the core.

my gskill is running at 273mhzi changed timing to 3 4 4 7 1t

will do more testing and see if its stable.
3ghz.jpg

i was running sisoft cpu arithmatic bench and afterwards computer shut off. figured it was cpu not getting enough juice uped the volts to 1.58 and it seems ok now. heres a couple of benches.

sisoft.jpg

Back