Which new mouse?

gen3000

n00b
Hey,
basically had a copperhead for the past 2 years and its served me brilliantly until recently where it keeps dying everytime i pick it up and then put it back down so I am in the market for a new one.
I have not thought twice about mouses over the past two years so if anyone could give me some advice on which mouse is worth going for? I guess something in the same vein as the Copperhead would be good for me.
I also own the Razer exactmat and only ever use the speed side but the thing has got quite a bit destroyed as well over the past 2 years so perhaps a new pad is in order as well.
Thanks in advance for help from anyone who gives it.

I never was a fan of Razer, but perhaps you may want to keep on the same track as you have had success with them in the past. Personally, I use a Logitech G9 and a fUnc pad. The fUnc pad is about 2 years old and still looks brand new. The G9 - I absoloutley love it.

The Razer Deathadder and Logitech MX518 and G5 are great mice. The Logitech G9 is also a great fingertip mouse if that's your thing. The Razer Lachesis has massive DPI but it's a bit flaky, so chances are you'd be better off with something else. The Steelseries Ikari laser and optical editions are kickass no-frills mice with excellent ergonomics and high quality. The OCZ Equalizer is a great option if you're looking for something cheap; it's 2500DPI, has a decent driver, is quite comfortable, and is cheap as hell(I got mine for around $20).

That should cover most of the top-tier choices out there. Post back if you have any questions :).

Not to thread jack, more to piggy-back; are there any decent multi button, (5+) mice for us bassardized lefties out there?

Not to thread jack, more to piggy-back; are there any decent multi button, (5+) mice for us bassardized lefties out there?

Logitech makes a left-handed version of the MX610. It's not exactly a gaming mouse, but it'll do the trick and the ergonomics are very good as well.

MS Sidewinder, without a doubt.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1257564

I wrote this review, and nothing has changed since.

Be sure to check out this mouse before you buy it. While it has some nice innovative features it is HONKIN' BIG!! I found it really uncomfortable. However.... Amazon has it for $50 - which is a really good price.

For the lefty: I think that the Razer Cooperhead is symetrical as well.

The Logitech G3 is an ambidextrous mouse. The tracking is really good on it. But...i think its being phased out. So you'll have to hurry if you want one.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've got the copperhead and honestly can't stand it, the side buttons are a pain in the arse to hit no matter what side they are on. Not quite sure which urgo schematic they were looking at when putting the side buttons on a downward facing angle but it just doesn't work for me.

I'll have to check out the Lachesis and the G3, (doesn't the G3's scroll wheel have the tilt access as well?)

Anyone try the MS mouse with the movable side buttons (Habu)?

I can vouch for the Death Adder. Came from the Copperhead myself, and while it is still a great mouse, prefer the feel of the Death Adder much more.

Never was a fan of the logitechs though, but it really is just a matter of personal preference. If you're a razer guy, you can't go wrong with the Death Adder.

I tried a pile before a bought the deathadder.

I hate logicrap input devices, and microshat, the freaky weird one is uncomfortable as shit(slap a TypeR sticker on it and a spoiler).

The only mouse other then the deathadder I really liked was the microsoft one that aliminum. It was nice and big. felt good.

Not being able to flash to the latest firmware on the Deathadder under Vista X64 was a huge turnoff for me. The mouse cord resembled the ones found on those cheap cord retractable laptop mice. I also found that there was too much travel on the mouse 1 and 2 buttons. It reminded me how the original Boomslang was designed. The mouse itself tracks well, although the amount of travel on the mouse 1 & 2 buttons and the odd concave shape made me switch to G9. Which was on sale not too long ago for $35ish .

The general consensus is
if you're a high sens user go laser
If you're a low sens user go optical

Not being able to flash to the latest firmware on the Deathadder under Vista X64 was a huge turnoff for me.

D'oh! Running the same OS, anyone else have both that can verify if its working now or is it still a problem?

Is the Razer software still as bloaty as it used to be? I'm personally not a fan of a ton of drivers loading at startup.

+ 1 for the sidewinder. Yes it's big, but you will get used to it. I love the side buttons the way they are one on top of the other. Don't know why no one thought of this sooner.

+1 for Death Adder. (Came from a Diamondback which is still a really good mouse). I also like the way the mouse clicks with Razer mice.

G5's are great if you like the feel of it. It wasn't my cup of tea.

I've had a logitech MX1000 laser mouse for a few years now and love it. The battery's still hold a good charge and last about 24 hours of use before I need to recharge which equal to about 2-3 days of my computer usage. I've knocked it off my desk probably 15 times and it still works great. I've heard the newer logitech gaming mouses have very poor battery power and have to be recharged every 5 hours but I would double check that.

I personally don't like corded mouses because the cord always will rub on the corner of the desk.

Razer was a big disappointment.

Few years ago I picked copperhead over G5, then after a bunch of driver problem and XP not reconizing or froze with the mouse, the mouse finally broke after 1 year of use. At the end I ended up buying the updated version of G5, couldn't be happier. If anything happen to G5 I will probably get the G9, never buy another razer product again.

+ 1 for the G9. I loved the ergonomics of the MS Explorer and more recently MX Revolution. But from a gaming perspective, G9 has my vote.

Have to vote G5 rev. 2.
  • Looks cool.
  • Texture accomodates sweaty palms.
  • Two thumb buttons - I use for sprinting, melee, flashlight, or grenades.
  • On the fly resolution control - 3 resolution settings so you can easily and quickly adjust sensitivity.
  • Weights - has an ejectable tray to attach weights to your comfort level.
  • Very accurate.
  • Fairly inexpensive.

Perfect upgrade to my old MX-510.

I like the deathadder but the scroll wheel sucks.

Really? I absolutely hated my G5 scroll wheel. It was basically unusable in games since you had to press it fairly hard in order to activate it. It had like 2 depths it seemed. Part of why I replaced it with a deathadder which I love.

I use a G5 at work and a DA at home. If anything happens to my DA, I'll be getting another one. The G5 seems to suit the office tasks i do (yes, i've even tried a MX Revo). The DPI buttons seem like a distraction though. I have my DA set up the way i like it and leave it there. The scroll wheel is more "positive" with the Razer mouse than my G5, which is what i like. The feet could be a bit better, i guess they were going for "less surface, less resistance". But I think the DA is in fact more "slippery"

Scroll wheel on the g5 is pretty terrible as said before due to the side-scroll.

It's pretty easy to circumvent though, if you map the middle mouse button to the "scroll left" and anything else you want to the "scroll right" which enables you to avoid trying to click the mouse wheel and be annoyed when it goes to either side instead. I personally mapped ctrl-w to one side so I could close tabs without moving the mouse or using the keyboard which is nice sometimes.

No other mouse has a better shape than the tried and true model used on the g5 and many other of logitech's mice.

Deathadder, MX518, IE 3.0 or the Steelseries Ikari Optical are all good choices.

Try to stick with optical.

Have to vote G5 rev. 2.
  • Looks cool.
  • Texture accomodates sweaty palms.
  • Two thumb buttons - I use for sprinting, melee, flashlight, or grenades.
  • On the fly resolution control - 3 resolution settings so you can easily and quickly adjust sensitivity.
  • Weights - has an ejectable tray to attach weights to your comfort level.
  • Very accurate.
  • Fairly inexpensive.

Perfect upgrade to my old MX-510.

Another vote for G5 Rev 2

The original G5 was inexcusable, one side thumb button these days is just a big no-no.
Rev 2 redeems the G5 however.

My only issue with it however is purely an aesthetical one, the blue-skin paint job...

Back