• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which mobo and RAM for a e6300?

JRT

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
427
Hello pipiles, :D
I got a free e6300 so I need a new setup to go with it.
So which motherboard and ram for a e6300.

I do want to overclock but I want sability.
I don't realy care about SLI but I will consider it.
What can I expect a typical 6300 to OC to?
What kinda boost would I see over my current setup, so is it worth spending the money on a new mobo and RAM?
I do some gaming with COD4, COH, AA, and I will check out Crysis.

Right now I have:
Manchester @ 2500MHZ
2GB DDR500 ballistix
650W BFG PSU.

Thanks a bunch. :cool:
 
Mine does 3.4Ghz @ 1.375V on water almost 24x7 3.2GHz should not be a problem but here is the rub. Your max cpu mulitplier is 7. The cpu speed is the cpu mulitplier x the FSB. So with a fairly high FSB of 400 you are only doing 2.8GHz. At a very high FSB of 450 you are only doing 3.0GHz.

So you need a board that will do very high FSB's, I run 477MHz . Some boards do this fine, but all should have the cooling (thermal paste) reworked on the MCH/Northbridge and a fan hot melt glued on it if you are going much above 400.

Also on intel boards there is no memory dividers. The slowest you can run the memory is 2 x the FSB. So for 2.8GHz 400 x 7 your memory will be running at 800MHz (400 x 2) which is perfect for DDR2 PC6400 (800MHz memory) but you will rapidly start OCing your memory and need to loosen timings to go higher with the cpu. So with an 6300 higer speed memory is almost a must. Good news is that it is cheap as dirt now. PC8500 would be the slowest I would consider if you do intend to push the cpu hard.


so because that cpu have a max mulit of 7 your need a high FSB motherboard and high speed memory to be able to top out the cpu and I highly recommend redoing the boards thermals after you verify its ok but before you finally install it in the case.

Gigabyte DS3
Abit IP35
ASUS - dont know them well, will let someone else recommend one.

I cannot stress how important it is to cool the MCH/Northbridge, it will be just as overclocked as the cpu.

I think it would be a large performace increase if you can run it at 3.0GHz or more. throw a 8800GT in there with it and you are good to go.
 
This is a excellent motherboard for the price, but it has no fiirewire ports and no raid. So make sure you look at the specs before you buy it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

If the e6300 is a B2 revision you should be able to hit 3.2GHz with good ram.
If the e6300 is a L2 Revision you should be able to hit 2.8Ghz - 3.0Ghz with out to much trouble. Beyond 3.0GHz with L2 steppings is hit and miss.

Edit: I am to slow, By the time I hit reply I see Bill made a much more informative post than I did.
 
Sorry I forgot to mention that I have a 8800GT now.
I was planning on getting DDR1066 so i can clock the shit outta this thing, but what brand?
This is weird the chip I have is a SLA5E, but intel doesnt reconize the S-spec.

The chip has:
6300 SLA5E
1.86/2M/1066/06
0720A317

I know it is a e6300 / 2M L2 cache / 1066FSB.
So why doesnt Intel see the S-Spec.
Google it and get weird info.
Thanks guys.
 
Just don't get the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, I can't even get my e6300 to 2.8Ghz (nevermind the sig it was supposed to be simple o/c). The board is a pain in the ass.
 
Back
Top