Which is easier on WHS?

nodle

[H]ard|Gawd
Should I leave my WHS running 24/7? Or should i just turn it on when i need it? Which is easier on the system and drives?

I've always heard various things with computers, if you turn it off you are just making the computer parts lives shorter, leaving it on and you won't have that problem due to electricity always running through it.
I always leave my computer up and running and just my computer alone without monitors pulls 300watts of power, but if you absolutely have to turn it off due to noise or worrying about your power bill then don't see a reason not to turn it off. Unless you don't want say automatic backups to not run at night.

Will WHS go into a power-saving sleep mode like Vista? If so, you can set it to come on with the NIC and you'll just have a delay when first awakened.

which is easier on you? I keep my WHS on 24/7, always have access to everything no matter where i am, got a few sites hosted with the whiist add-in, always can get to my shares instantly, etc........

I always just feel weird leaving it on like I am going to wear it out of something (even though I know it won't). Guess i just need to overcome this and force myself too.

I run all my systems 24/7/365 at 100% CPU load and overclocked. I've had some of the same parts for years and they keep going. I don't worry one bit about leaving a system up and running. That said, I don't use bottom of the barrel cheap low end parts either.

The first things in my systems that seem to die are optical drives and that's usually after a few years. The next components to die are hard drives and that's usually after at least 5 years. The rest of my components are usually badly outdated and either get sold or thrown away because they aren't worth the electricity for me to run them anymore. That said, I still have a 1Ghz P3 up and running.

The only component I remotely worry about is the PSU and since I always spend a little extra and get a quality PSU (or hit up sales on quality PSUs) it's not a problem. The only reason I even worry about the PSU is because it has the capability of frying everything in the system if it goes out. Luckily, I have never had a PSU take out a single component when it started going bad or just died. Most quality PSUs will show signs of instability or shut themselves off before causing any harm to other components.

Basically, leave the system up and running 24/7 unless it's going to double your electric bill. Otherwise, you're losing one of the main advantages of having a server.

Leave it running. Its not gonna hurt, and it will prob make things easier.

Back