Which heatsink does hardocp love?

They're both "Extreme."

TRUE = Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme.

The one you refer to as 'extreme' is exactly the same, but for the same price, comes with a decent fan.

So the choice is obvious.

However.. I would skip the TRUE. Sure, price/performance it's a crowd favorite, but there are better coolers today.

Mostly so I know what to get next time I need one. Friend is building a compy soon. It's just been itching at the back of my head for a while because I can't find the exact article describing their loves for the heatsink.

Mostly so I know what to get next time I need one. Friend is building a compy soon. It's just been itching at the back of my head for a while because I can't find the exact article describing their loves for the heatsink.

Forget what [H] love. Everyone always knows what the best is.

I'm convinced the NH-14 is best, as a mech E., from a design standpoint it would make sense. Also every benchmark on the internet rates it number 1 expect for the one here. I think that one went wrong for some reason, could have a been change in ambient temps, bad installation, or faulty unit among other things.

All of them when installed on a board that has been properly prepped for high performance use and the case and fans carefully chosen for airflow and modded if needed.

The [H]ard review is available, read it.

I like mine :D

I also have a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 awaiting a future build.

I'm convinced the NH-14 is best, as a mech E., from a design standpoint it would make sense. Also every benchmark on the internet rates it number 1 expect for the one here. I think that one went wrong for some reason, could have a been change in ambient temps, bad installation, or faulty unit among other things.

If you read a wide cross section of heatsink reviews you see they differ a lot. One site may have a certain cooler in the top 3 performers when another site only gives it mid ranged performance.

I think its very dependant on case layout, airflow, fans used, heat released from the CPU and also physical size of the CPU (the two outer heatpipes on my Thor's Hammer barely even contacted my LGA 1156 CPU). Then optimal TIM type and set up will vary from one cooler to the next as well.

With that many variables and seeing as many reviews use an open test bench which is nothing like the environment inside a case, its hard to see which cooler is "the best". I think if you have a case where you have a 120/140mm side fan blowing directly onto the CPU, something like a C12P would actually perform very well compared to running it on an open test bench or in a case which only has front/rear fans.

Back