Which hard drives for raid array?

HardyOne

Limp Gawd
I will be adding an Areca ARC-1882ix-12 in a few weeks and want to use four each 500GB drives with it. Any suggestions as to which drives will work well with the raid card? I have heard that some WD drives will stop working, killing the array. I was actually thinking of using WD 1TB Black drives, but am not sure that is a good idea, so any suggestions?

Not if you run in a hardware RAID array. Go with a drive that supports TLER.

Last edited:
^ RE4 drives are nearline-class drives, that's why they are so expensive, they are not desktop-class drives.

Unless that amount of hardware reliability and uptime insurance is needed, I would recommend you go with the Hitachi drives as well.

I will be adding an Areca ARC-1882ix-12 in a few weeks and want to use four each 500GB drives with it. Any suggestions as to which drives will work well with the raid card? I have heard that some WD drives will stop working, killing the array. I was actually thinking of using WD 1TB Black drives, but am not sure that is a good idea, so any suggestions?

The answer you're looking for is HITACHI.

And pull one out of the array every few days just to make sure the recovery routines on the array work good.

I have actually been running 5, 1 TB WD green drives in my Thecus N5200 for 3 years now with no problems. I did have to enable TLER on them though. I did buy 2 spares, just in case though. Oh yea, I run Raid 6 too.

They were dirt cheap, and I never really trusted them fully. But they work.

Don

^ You bought the models that still supported TLER though, the newer models no longer support that function unfortunately.

You bought the models that still supported TLER though, the newer models no longer support that function unfortunately.

Oh, OK. My Thecus only supported 1 TB drives, so I never looked into upgrading.

WDC removed TLER from the most if not all of their desktop dives a few years ago. 2010?

Exactly, which doesn't make WD a very good candidate for hardware RAID, at least with their desktop-class drives.

^ That actually looks like a decent drive, especially for the price.

Back