Which Gpu and 27 inch monitor?

Neonplanet

n00b
Current build:
Asus P8P67-M, Intel 2500k ,Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus PSU cooler, 8GB (2x4gb)Corsair XMS3, 256GB Crucial MX SSD and 500GB Samsung F3, Sapphire R280 , OCZ ZT750W Modular PSU, Akasa Eclipse-32, Sony DVD-rw, Windows 10 Professional

Hi folks. I was going to upgrade my entire computer but after recommendations I have decided to overclock the cpu and instead upgrade my graphics card and monitor.

I am looking for a 27 inch monitor with a 2k resolution. Not 4k.i can't afford that new 1200 quid gpu to run it.

Monitor will be used for games, productivity and movies.

Budget for both is 800 - £900.

Can you guys help me out?

Thank you.

rx480
dell 2715h IPS

dell 2716DG TN - gaming

Last edited:
C

I am looking for a 27 inch monitor with a 2k resolution. Not 4k.i can't afford that new 1200 quid gpu to run it.

I currently own two monitors. An Apple Cinema Display (27" 1440p) and an LG 27UD68 (27", 4k). Both are LG IPS panels. When cloned at 1440p, there's an indiscernible difference despite the scaling that is happening. Also, the LG is cheaper and higher quality than many 1440p IPS panels today. It also has FreeSync, just in case AMD decides to rejoin the GPU market.

Give the 4k panel a try if it's in your budget. The one that I got has an MSRP of $500 but usually sells for $400.

Okay well happy to get a 4k screen if it fits in budget and has better picture quality

I currently own two monitors. An Apple Cinema Display (27" 1440p) and an LG 27UD68 (27", 4k). Both are LG IPS panels. When cloned at 1440p, there's an indiscernible difference despite the scaling that is happening. Also, the LG is cheaper and higher quality than many 1440p IPS panels today. It also has FreeSync, just in case AMD decides to rejoin the GPU market.

Give the 4k panel a try if it's in your budget. The one that I got has an MSRP of $500 but usually sells for $400.
The LG did an excellent scaling job when displaying non-native resolution? That's good news. I wonder if the same can be said about other monitors.

I would get the new benq 2730z they have it on amazon on sale now.

The LG did an excellent scaling job when displaying non-native resolution? That's good news. I wonder if the same can be said about other monitors.

It's acceptable in gaming at 1080p1440p. Scaling still occures, it's just not as noticeble. You have to clone the displays against a native monitor to see it, and it's not easy to see.

For desktop usage, it's noticeable and ugly.

I own the Dell S2716DG and an EVGA 980 SC ATM. For all of those TN haters, this monitor actually looks pretty good compared to my Dell U2515H. Sure the blacks aren't as true but for a TN, it's damn good. Playing Overwatch lately at 1440p/100(ish) and loving it.

OP - I say go for a 1070 for the GPU, depending on your budget, or a used/discounted 980 Ti.

Current build:
Asus P8P67-M, Intel 2500k ,Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus PSU cooler, 8GB (2x4gb)Corsair XMS3, 256GB Crucial MX SSD and 500GB Samsung F3, Sapphire R280 , OCZ ZT750W Modular PSU, Akasa Eclipse-32, Sony DVD-rw, Windows 10 Professional

Hi folks. I was going to upgrade my entire computer but after recommendations I have decided to overclock the cpu and instead upgrade my graphics card and monitor.

Monitor will be used for games, productivity and movies.

Budget for both is 800 - £900.

Can you guys help me out?

Thank you.

I just picked up the Acer XF270HU 27" IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor 144 Hz 4ms Response Time for 399 on a special on new egg. The monitor is AWESOME! I don't have AMD cards to take advantage of freesync but I don't have tearing anyway the way I set up my games. Highly recommended monitor for the money I'd say can't be beat.

Then get as good a video card as you can afford, plain and simple. I would say 1070 or greater.

As you can see from my sig, I have one of each. GPU performance aside, I prefer the XL2730Z (TN) over the XB270HU (IPS). That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either setup. Just depends on what you are willing to shell out for.

Do enlighten us.

When playing, I get a better feel as far as response times are concerned with the BenQ over the Acer. And this was back when I had a 980 Ti in that machine, so GPU performance was nearly on par. The Witcher 3, The Division, Fallout 4 and Elite Dangerous were my main games at the time (January through early May). Color reproduction was practically a wash. Granted, I'm not doing any professional photo/video work either. If I didn't have both setups side by side, I positive that I wouldn't have known the difference.

GTX 1070
ASUS PG279Q

Thirded.

Great monitor. The 1070 matches nicely with it.

Edited to remove erroneous statement about freesync. Thanks to KickAssCop for pointing that out. (Got my "M" and "P" suffixes crossed.)

Last edited:
If you go for a 1070 I would get the Dell S2716DG. I currently just got it and with a color profile from OC UK forums, it looks great. You don't even need a profile if you don't want to load one, just turn the gamma to 0.8 and lower the brightness. Definately sharp and despite being a TN panel, its one of the better TN panel's I have seen. If you don't want Gsync go with an IPS 1440p monitor. I hear the BenQ models are decent too.

Asus PG279Q is a GSync monitor. What do you mean it is freesync capable?

Oops. You are correct. Thanks for spotting my error. (Asus uses "P" for Gsync and "M" for freesync. I crossed 'em up.) I've fixed my post.

I have to agree with the Dell S2716DG Great TN. Been watching Bluray movies from my XboxOne on it and it looks really good!

Is Gsync really worth it?

Yes, absolutely it is. Same goes for Freesync. Once you have used these, you'll never want to go back. Freesync/GSync plus a high hertz IPS panel equals FPS nirvana.

Yes, absolutely it is. Same goes for Freesync. Once you have used these, you'll never want to go back. Freesync/GSync plus a high hertz IPS panel equals FPS nirvana.

So it's basically vsync without locking the frames?

Currently looking at the Asus MG279Q 27-Inch FreeSync Monitor. Would prefer freesync over gsync. And a r480

So it's basically vsync without locking the frames?

Plus it is way smoother frames than Vsync. I always hated the stutter of Vsync, but without it you have tearing. Freesync and Gsync eliminate this. You have to see it in action for yourself.

Currently looking at the Asus MG279Q 27-Inch FreeSync Monitor. Would prefer freesync over gsync. And a r480

That was the best of all the freesync monitors initially. I am not 100% sure if it still is. It is basically the same panel as the IPS Rog Swift PG279Q, but without Gsync.

Well I might stretch to a 1070 but I have no intentions of paying an extra 100 pounds for a gsync screen.

Well I might stretch to a 1070 but I have no intentions of paying an extra 100 pounds for a gsync screen.

Makes perfect sense, but you're in a bind. If you buy an rx480 you'll be below 60 in many games at 1440p, with free sync it should look fine though.

Whereas with a 1070 you can probably get away with normal vsync at 60 in most games

Well I'm wanting the best 27 inch monitor I can get for £450 sterling. This includes the Asus MG279Q and the Dell 2715h plus others. I am not willing the pay extra money for gsync. It's ridiculous that nvidia are charging extra for it. But yes I agree, I'm in a bind.

Well I'm wanting the best 27 inch monitor I can get for £450 sterling. This includes the Asus MG279Q and the Dell 2715h plus others. I am not willing the pay extra money for gsync. It's ridiculous that nvidia are charging extra for it. But yes I agree, I'm in a bind.

I guess as a sort of middle ground you can buy a cheaper 1440p IPS monitor, and put the money you save towards a 1070. If variable refresh is a hard requirement then this idea is moot.

Would the Asus be a waste of money then? How does its picture quality compare to the Dell which has no freesync etc?

Would the Asus be a waste of money then? How does its picture quality compare to the Dell which has no freesync etc?

The only variable vsync (gsync/freesync) has no effect on picture quality, it has an effect on the fluidity of the frame pacing you effectively perceive, the refresh rate of the monitor is synchronized with the framerate. So if in the next second your computer only renders 40 frames, the refresh rate will be 40hz for the duration of those 40 frames; it's great for demanding games that don't hit the refresh rate of your monitor, whatever it may be.

As for picture quality, generally speaking TN have better response times but worse color reproduction, IPS the opposite. There are also monitors will ULMB style tech which basically reduces the switching latency of the pixels themselves so you don't have motion artifacts like blur

Back