Which external drive would you buy?

Samury

Limp Gawd
I'm currently leaning towards one of the following:

Fantom 1 TB

Cavalry 1 TB

Any thoughts or concerns about the two? Newegg gives them better scores than a WD external (at least with eSATA).

Warranty sucks on the first one and there is no indication of what it is like on the second. I would stay away from both personally and stick with the major brands (Seagate/WD). Newegg reviews are also usually rather useless, so you can ignore them.

Newegg reviews are good for general information, which I look for when searching, but not when it comes down to deciding just based off ratings. I'd stick with Seagate or Western Digital since they can be had for the same price or less. I'm guessing both use WD drives (The second one does at least, according to reviews) so they should perform the same, given the enclosure and ac adapter aren't crap, but I'd rather have a name brand when it comes time to RMA. The Fantom at least has an enclosure that looks like it cools efficiently however, of course it is $120 for 1TB which puts it in the same price range as the Seagate/WD externals.

I would do WD green drives to be sure I know what I'm getting and then pick up a couple of cheap external enclosures. I really like my Vantec ones.

Back