Which DotA clone is best?

I've been trying out a few of them lately. Right now I'm trying to start playing League of Legends, Bloodline Champions, and Avalon Heroes. And I plan on purchasing Demigod and Heroes of Newerth. I know Valve is currently making DotA 2. What other ones are out there? Also, which is your favorite and why?

There is a huge League of Legends thread in the PC Gaming section, there's next to nothing on Heroes of Newerth, the consensus is clear, people on this forum like League of Legends a lot more, we have a channel that we all join and most of the time you can find a couple of forum members in it to play with

channel [H]ard

usually we have a late night crew that groups up and has fun together, me, chesty, and squint are regulars there

If you want a straight up clone go with Heroes of Newerth. If you want a similar game but also a bit different try out League of Legends.

Why not play the original? I tried the clones but none compare to the original.

I have both HoN and LoL. HoN is a lot closer to Dota, but both games are fun in their respective ways. Let it be known though, that HoN is a brutal brutal game. If you are not super competitive, or lack a thick skin, it might not be the game for you. You have been warned.

Personally I prefer HoN over LoL, but am looking forward to Dota 2.

I have both HoN and LoL. HoN is a lot closer to Dota, but both games are fun in their respective ways. Let it be known though, that HoN is a brutal brutal game. If you are not super competitive, or lack a thick skin, it might not be the game for you. You have been warned.

QFT, LoL players aren't as rash though? I only play HoN so don't know but have been cussed out numerous times and told I should die a lot.

Ive been playing LoL since it was in beta, I love it. Just wish the new map would hurry up and be released!

I enjoy League of Legends.. Im really bad at it though so I get raged on a lot.

This pretty much sums it up. HoN is brutal.

I play LoL because I know way more people playing that game than I do HoN. I think the most important aspect when deciding upon one of these games is seeing which ones your friends play. Having a team or 3-5 of your friends with everyone on Mumble or Vent makes the game fun and worthwhile. I really dislike playing on teams when I don't know anyone.

It is fun to play with your friends, and if you are new they can teach you the ins and outs of the game, characters, items, and builds.

League of Legends! HON is very much a copy of Dota so might as well just play Dota then. If you want to try something new, then LOL it is.

LoL is great, I've not tried HoN but I don't think I'm competitive enough to enjoy it. LoL does have it's jerks and flamers, but as a whole I think the community is pretty forgiving.

There is a huge League of Legends thread in the PC Gaming section, there's next to nothing on Heroes of Newerth, the consensus is clear, people on this forum like League of Legends a lot more, we have a channel that we all join and most of the time you can find a couple of forum members in it to play with

channel [H]ard

usually we have a late night crew that groups up and has fun together, me, chesty, and squint are regulars there

I would not say that is exactly true. There are plenty of us here that play HoN just no reason to write about it.

I've been trying out a few of them lately. Right now I'm trying to start playing League of Legends, Bloodline Champions, and Avalon Heroes. And I plan on purchasing Demigod and Heroes of Newerth. I know Valve is currently making DotA 2. What other ones are out there? Also, which is your favorite and why?

Dont waste your time on Demigod, not sure who even plays it anymore. They failed hard at launch.

Honestly, the best 2 options are LoL and HoN. I enjoy HoN over LoL just because there are more small details that matter. For me LoL got boring quick but mostly because I play HoN and enjoy HoN's tedious gameplay. My recommendation would be to skip the rest, play both HoN and LoL and pick which one you enjoy the most.

HoN was too difficult for me to get into. I played elite clans in DOTA and I still couldn't get used to HoN enough to enjoy it. I will be reinstalling WC3 until the new one is released. Did not try LoL but it sound like that's the better bet.

HoN is the better game, in my opinion. Better engine, better latency, all matches are recorded for public viewing, far better balance, and more depth.

The downside to HoN is that yeah, people are far more ruthless. Also, a lot of people like playing LoL for the Riot Points as unlocking is a motivation that keeps them playing.

It's up to your tastes.

In addition to LoL and HoN.

There's also a couple of popular SC2 DotA clones

Storm of the Imperial Sanctum (SotIS)

and Star Battle (I think? Never played it)

In addition to LoL and HoN.

There's also a couple of popular SC2 DotA clones

Storm of the Imperial Sanctum (SotIS)

and Star Battle (I think? Never played it)

Worth mentioning but I dont think its even worth messing with. Just not enough support/player base. HoN right now has 34k online playing.

Worth mentioning but I dont think its even worth messing with. Just not enough support/player base. HoN right now has 34k online playing.

SotIS has solid support (it's on it's 4th major revision) and is one of the most popular custom maps in SC2, finding a game isn't difficult, I'll say that much in it's defense.

I don't know about Star Battle other than it's existence.

Personally I just play LoL these days.

SotIS has solid support (it's on it's 4th major revision) and is one of the most popular custom maps in SC2, finding a game isn't difficult, I'll say that much in it's defense.

I don't know about Star Battle other than it's existence.

Personally I just play LoL these days.

I mean more along the lines of matchmaking, competitions, and a ~50-60k playerbase.

HoN has a much steeper learning curve but is a far more rewarding game because of it.

I would say if you want to play very casually then LoL is the way to go. I play HoN almost exclusively but found that when I do play LoL with friends it's extremely easy to pretty much destroy everyone taking the skills I have learned from HoN.

Hon gameplay is just like DotA, so if you like dota you should get HoN, its pretty fun.

Both times I tried HoN I could not stand the community. Easily the worst in PC gaming , almost everyone is a grade A fucking asshole that strictly cares about nothing but there own gain. The least helpful group of PC gamers as well.

I'm thick skinned as well , I played WoW (and well) for over 5 years and even at the worst point and even with the biggest assholes you could imagine going after the same loot you were .. nothing holds a candle to the majority of HoN players. On top of that the learning curve is huge and I don't feel personally that its rewarding nearly as much as it should be for giant curve to overcome. If the community wasn't so horrible it would be a much more doable game.

LoL is far more base line and the community is pretty great. People expect you to practice a lot and understand the game mechanics before you enter live competition. So I advise you don't go into live matches until you have a setup/spec you enjoy and understand how to best fit into the mix of players/teams you'll get. You'll make friends fast if you learn support classes and back up other players , making yourself an important part of any team. If you run around and solo everything and ignore your team strictly to kill hound .. you probably won't get much praise.

LoL is a great DOTA clone and it will be around for a while to come. You don't have to spend a ton of money (or any at all if you choose) to level up and start building a great hero that you feel comfortable with.

But avoid HoN unless you're a masochist that loves to be called a fag or moron every 10 seconds.

Last edited:
League of Legends! HON is very much a copy of Dota so might as well just play Dota then. If you want to try something new, then LOL it is.

Might as well play dota...

minus the comprehensive stats systems, replay systems, reconnect features, pause features, etc....

New != better. But in the end this is all a moot point, DOTA2 on its way quite soon. People who has gotten noobified from LoL will stay with LoL, everyone else will migrate over to DOTA2.

I got HON when they had a $10 sale. I would probably play LoL if they had a mac version... but really I like HON because I don't have to relearn a new game, since I played DOTA.

My main gripe is the the heroes in HON are very ugly and unimaginative. I plan on quitting HON as soon as DOTA2 comes out.

I haven't played HoN but I really enjoy LoL. Before I was playing LoL I really liked Demigod a lot, bought it on release and played quite a bit. Then the community vanished shortly after, there was too many problems they couldnt fix fast enough. I try to login once in awhile, but there's usually only been like 100-200 people on.

I got HON when they had a $10 sale. I would probably play LoL if they had a mac version... but really I like HON because I don't have to relearn a new game, since I played DOTA.

My main gripe is the the heroes in HON are very ugly and unimaginative. I plan on quitting HON as soon as DOTA2 comes out.

There is a Mac beta that can be installed that works fine. Takes a little tweaking but it works.

http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=48154

QFT, LoL players aren't as rash though? I only play HoN so don't know but have been cussed out numerous times and told I should die a lot.

Actually its kind of weird on LOL, noobs in normal games are total assholes, but if you do ranked solo queue generally most players will try to give you advice or tips if your messing something up. Having played both I can say that both games have their fair share of jerks but over all lol is a bit more relaxed, I think it has something to do with the sort of cartoonish setting the game has just puts people in the mood to laugh.

Thats not to say the game isnt competitive though because it is, and it has an enormous learning curve just like HON and dota before them ive been playing the game for a year now and im still learning new things and interesting ways to build champions that I had never thought of before. I would recommend lol not because the community or any thing but just on the sheer fact that it is a fantastic game and you can play it with out spending a dime on it. Its not a pay for an advantage f2p game either, nothing you can spend money on will effect your in game performance.

I love Demigod, but they really screwed the pooch at launch and the game is pretty much dead now (and has been for quite some time). It'd probably worth picking up on sale for five bucks or something, but I wouldn't pay more since the community is just so damn small. It was way fun when it was more active though, much better than LoL imho.

Another ex-DG player here, I loved the game, loved the heroes and graphics. But as the community shrank, so did the quality of the community. Last times I played it was pretty much a whole bunch of elitist douchebags. The matchmaking was absolutely horrible too, and custom games were just full of arranged teams, there was no way for any noobies to come in and learn the game, without getting stomped, insulted and pushed away from the experience.

HoN has a ridiculous learning curve for those who haven't played DotA but is a much richer and more rewarding experience than LoL. I would say if you are a more casual gamer who hasn't played DotA then go with LoL. If you have played DotA before you might be put off on how dumbed-down LoL is compared to HoN/DotA.

If you tend to be a more serious/competitive gamer HoN is a better game for you.

If you're going to play Demigods I recommend you install this http://forums.demigodthegame.com/399399 it makes the game far better, and the AI becomes very brutal, especially on harder difficulty settings where they get far more cash than you, in addition to playing extremely well.

Back