Which defragmenter to use?

aquaragia

n00b
I have diskeeper 2007 installed and it works great,however I had to buy it(a bit expensive)and was wondering if I should try the free IObit defragmenter for my family's computers.It has the set it and forfet it type feature.
Is IObit a good enough program or should we buy more diskeepers?

If you want a freebie that gets the job done in a basic way and is pretty quick, get the Auslogics free Defragger. If you want probably the best retail product for defragging and offering a bit more options including scheduling and whole slew of others, then my recommendation has always been and always will be PerfectDisk by Raxco. Nothing can touch it...

A really cool extra free tool is Defraggler.
http://www.defraggler.com
It tells you every file thats fragmented and allows you to just defragment that (those) file(s) you want so you dont necessarily need to wait for the whole drive.

As a standalone defragmenter, its pretty good, very quick and doesnt require a large amount of free space to work optimally.
Its downsides are that it wont defrag the swap file or free space.

im sorry i've never looked at third party defraggers because I always thought the stock windows guy always got the job done. Am i wrong? or all you people linux doods?

Even Linux distros need defragmenting on occasion - every disk file system fragments regardless of what propaganda the "geek brigade" might have the world at large believe. No file system is immune to fragmentation, none of them.

And yes, by using a third party defragger you can get better performance, faster defrag times if you're that concerned with it going on, and other features like scheduling (the built in one can be scheduled with Task Scheduler, actually), and, well... people just want more info going on, they want to see more going on, have more options to do "schtuffz" so, the built in one is lackluster and plain.

People want glitz... I mean, look at Vista's defragger. It doesn't tell you Jack Shit, but it works 24/7 and keeps Vista defragged automagically at about 2% fragmentation or less constantly, and people still bitch because of the fact that it doesn't tell them what's going on. Go figure...

I have a question regarding JkDefrag. I just decided to give it a whirl but it's my first time using something that actually gives me...options? for lack of a better word, on how I want my hard drives defragmented. Are there any recommended settings anyone here could suggest?

People want glitz... I mean, look at Vista's defragger. It doesn't tell you Jack Shit, but it works 24/7 and keeps Vista defragged automagically at about 2% fragmentation or less constantly, and people still bitch because of the fact that it doesn't tell them what's going on. Go figure...

Right on, and they will spend $50 on something that does the same exact thing, but has some glitz to it. They will then have the placebo effect that <insert favorite fanboy defragger> is the best defragger in the world and post it in a thread.

Back