Which cooler to pair up with the 8700k?

pencea

Weaksauce
Thinking about upgrading to the 8700k and hoping to clock it to 5ghz to make it even more worthwhile.

In the past I’ve used air coolers exclusively for every build and hesitated going AIO solutions mainly due to being a little unfamiliar with them, but this time I might actually switch over to one.

Which decent AIO cooler would you guys recommend to use for the 8700k running at 5ghz or will the Noctua air coolers still suffice?

I have an old case NZXT Phantom 820 so I’m not too sure which one will fit/compatible with my case.

I suggest a Zalmen Cooper Flower with good 80mm Tornado.

Seriously though AIOs are pretty easy to use, though you'll be fine with a big Noctua heatsink. So long as you have either one or two 120mm fan spots, you can mount the AIO.

If it's anything like my 7700K I had to delid because of temp spikes to run 5.0 at 1.257vcore. All thermal issue disappeared after the delidding. To be clear my 7700k was on a dual rad custom loop and could handle the heat but not the spikes and 1.257 is low vcore for a 5GHz oc. The good news is 5.0 should be easily doable like the 7700k if not better.

I was going to go with a Noctua NH-D15S, then decided a Corsair h100iv2 would work, but then screw it and went with a NZXT Kraken x62. For how much the CPU and motherboard are costing me I’ll spend the extra $20 and get a 280mm.

If a 280mm AIO cannot cool a 5ghz 8700K that would be absurd.

280 should be quite sufficient for just a CPU even at 5.0. I only caution that it could suffer from the same spikes witnessed with the 7700k. As for the case it can take a 280 up top and or bottom and a great case for custom loops as well.

From NZXT web site
Bo85QL.png

I was going to go with a Noctua NH-D15S, then decided a Corsair h100iv2 would work, but then screw it and went with a NZXT Kraken x62. For how much the CPU and motherboard are costing me I’ll spend the extra $20 and get a 280mm.

If a 280mm AIO cannot cool a 5ghz 8700K that would be absurd.

I had the same thought process with the exact same 3 coolers. Ive built hundreds of pcs for family/friends over the years, but this will be the 1st for personal use in about 10 years. And like you said, with the price of the 8700k+mobo even with a combo 'discount', spending extra for the kraken x62 doesn't seem like much in the long run.

IMHO bare minimum an EK Extreme Kit and skip the AIO. Just the ability to expand/upgrade at a latter date with is worth the extra and that not to mention the better performance.

Back