Which Burning Program supports HD-DVD writing

I have an LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L, which is My Blu-ray/HD-DVD writer combo drive. However, I'm not sure if it can write to HD-DVD though and if it can what software supports it. If I can't use this drive to burn to HD-DVD or find software that supports my OS or drive and/or both then the two 15 GB 1x speed HD-DVD disc's I bought are useless as I have not found anything I currently have that supports them. Please let me know all solutions for the following: Mac, Windows, and Linux. Do not recommend Image Burn if you can help it because it tries to hide asking if it can install spyware and bloatware. Also please try not to recommend CD Burner XP even though it doesn't have the problems that Image burn has because it's buggy sometimes.

I could make a long post here but to put it short and sweet:

The LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L is an HD DVD-ROM drive (ROM meaning Read Only Media, in the case of optical media) which means it can read HD DVD media (hard to find nowadays but it's out there in some places) but it cannot burn such media because as far as I can tell no HD DVD blank media ever really came to market.

I owned the same drive years ago and while it can burn Blu-ray (hence it being called a "Blu-ray Disc Rewriter") it cannot burn HD DVD media so you can move along on that idea. HD DVD was actually a damned good media format but the big blue Blu-ray beast just trounced over it in the market and it never stood a chance - it was just the VHS (Blu-ray) vs Beta (HD DVD) wars all over again. HD DVD was superior in several respects but that's history now so it's not relevant anymore.

For burning software that can work with the Blu-ray blank media, there's Nero and maybe a few others on the Windows platform, probably Toast on OSX if it's still around, and on Linux you'd have many to choose from like Brasero, Brrrn, and others.

tl;dr - your drive burns CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD +/-R/RW, and DVD-RAM media - it won't burn HD DVD and no such blank media exists anyway.

As for ImgBurn, there's two checkboxes during the installation, uncheck them and voila, no bloatware/spyware. I use it frequently and caught that the first time they started adding it to the installer - it's a free program so they're fine with trying to earn something in the development of it in my opinion.

Edit:

Well it does appear that a few HD DVD+R blank media did exist, Memorex made some (although they didn't manufacture it directly, Ritek made the media for them with Memorex branding), and Verbatim had some HD DVD-R media. Either way your drive is an HD DVD reader, not burner, so that's that and those discs are useless unless you managed to locate an actual HD DVD+R burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same reader in my media center PC. I eventually ended up dumping all my HD-DVD's to MKV's via MakeMKV.

Back