Which audio rack?

Which audio rack?

  • VTI 304 (3 legged)

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • VTI 404 (4 legged)

    Votes: 16 66.7%

  • Total voters
    24

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
1,742
Need some opinions here....

These are $300 each, but I'm not sure which is better. The tripod one or the quad legged one?

Thanks for the help!

The VTI 304
vti304.jpg

or
The VTI 404
vti404.jpg

BTW, I'm getting the black rack with silver frame.... just focus on the design... thanks!
 
More support vs less support is one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that a tripod is ALWAYS more stable than a four legged table. Notice how a lot of the tables either in your dining room or at lunchrooms/restaurants are wobbly?

The only thing that has me rethinking the 4 legged rack is future stability.
 
I wish all of my equipment would fit on a rack that small.

I'd go for the 3-legged rack.
 
What in the hell makes these $300, and what exactly makes them an audio "rack"? That's fucking nuts. Build one dude, rofl. :eek:

I vote 4 legs.
 
mdameron said:
What in the hell makes these $300, and what exactly makes them an audio "rack"? That's fucking nuts. Build one dude, rofl. :eek:

I vote 4 legs.

They hold over 150lbs per shelf. They are completely modular meanign you can stack them in any combo you want or you can leave them unstacked.

I guess you havent seen some real racks, have you? There are some that cost over $2K, $5K, and $15K.

Here are others that costs quite a bit more than mine....
Lovan:
LV1094_l.jpg

LV1088_l.jpg

Bello:
BB0059_a.jpg

Rix Rax:
$2K for the amp stand:
ParthenonCutWeb.gif

$5K for the Hoodoo stand:
attachment.jpg

Custom Isolation Racks:
$2K
tri-rack-11A.jpg

$3K
ultraaa.jpg


Before you say anything about price, these are niche products and arent marketed to the average consumer (us), so they maybe expensive, but the rich will get what they paid for.

Sure I can build my own, but I have $11K worth of preamp, amps, powerplants, and source that for me to ask from my GF a rack that costs $230 on ebay (for Christmas) isnt too much of a stretch, is it?

Take this rack from Best Buy for example... at $400, it cant even handle anything beyond 50lbs per shelf! You think that's better than spending less on the REAL audio rack I have on poll?
7871289_ra.jpg


I dont exactly know how you reason out prices, but last time I checked, furniture isnt like your dollar menu at mcdonalds. Your couch and your bed probably cost more than you would've liked to spend, but that's the reality of it all.

So before you suggest for me to build my own, when the rack I have chosen is awesome "value-wise" relative to other racks on the market, do a little research and take a step back and look at it from different angles, per se.
 
So far the 4 legged one is winning.... thanks for the votes, guys!

Few more days and I'll let my gf know which one I want... thanks again!

;)
 
Thanks Koolance... but thats the reason why I cant go Bello.

My amp is 100lbs and the PowerPlant I'm getting is another 100lbs.

Thanks though.... if anyone has ideas, shoot!

:)
 
Thanks for the info pinipig, I actually had no idea those existed or what their purpose is.

I guess I don't really like the idea of the completely open back on those. Especially on audio equipment, with SO many wires. You must be awesome at wire management!

Would a deep bookshelf not work just as well? I really have never felt truly high end audio equipment, just some mid grade receivers and such. Probably only weigh 20 pounds or so.

Anywho, I think that the 4 legged one looks better, design wise. I'd think it'd be harder to knock over in case of an accidental bump too. :cool:
 
I built my own rack with red oak and 3/8th inch tempered glass. It can support about 75lb, but that is due to the fact that each shelf is rather large. I built it because I could not find one I liked. Here is a pic from a few years ago when I was in my old house. It is now in my theaterroom at my new house.

rack1small.jpg


What I like is the holes in the back for pushing the wires through.
 
mdameron said:
I guess I don't really like the idea of the completely open back on those. Especially on audio equipment, with SO many wires. You must be awesome at wire management!
Them audiophile folks display their wires with pride!
 
Ahriman4891 said:
Them audiophile folks display their wires with pride!

only because they need to justify spending ungodly amounts of money on them ;)

my rack currently consists of three ikea tv tables screwed together giving me 6 shelves which easily support my weight and costing me all of $60 leaving me that much more money for other goodies
 
MoxMonkey said:
my rack currently consists of three ikea tv tables screwed together giving me 6 shelves which easily support my weight and costing me all of $60 leaving me that much more money for other goodies
Well, pinipig's NICE equipment justifies an expensive-looking $300 rack, imho.

BTW, isn't the stability advantage of 3 legs only realized on uneven surface? Although I guess most floors are not even enough to give perfect 4-legged stability, but those racks look like they have adjustable "feet" anyway.
 
Pinipig523 said:
Good lord man.... I need some extra moolah for that guy!

I think it's like $600. LOL... too much! :D

how much is your gear worth? :p :D

pffft.. what's another $600?







seriously tho.. I agree $600 is way too much for something you don't get to plug in and turn on. :)
 
Thanks everyone... I'll make my decision within a day and let the GF know which I prefer. Of course, I could get something completely unrelated to the rack.. like a sweater.

Ick.

;)
 
Just and update guys.... thanks again for helping me out!

My lovely gf bought me the VTI 4 legged rack for my gear! Thanks again!

Merry Christmas, belated!
 
Back
Top