Which AMD cpu is the equivalent of my Q6600 G0 SLACR

Mike2007x86

Weaksauce
Which AMD CPU is the equivalent of my current Q6600 G0 SLACR for a base line to start at.
Which AMD CPU is the equivalent of a i7 930 and i5 760 in terms of gaming performance?
Which AMD CPU's are best for overlocking and gaming?
Which is the best option specificly for a gaming pc build with some encoding in sony vegas pro 9.0e? dual core, four core, or six core.

thanks

Last edited:
1) Phenom II X4 940 is close
2) The 1090T at stock, or either X6 at OC speeds. Or any X4 at OC speeds...in gaming there is a 1-5 FPS difference, it is mainly the video card
3) The 1055T is a great chip, will hit 4.0 or close to it on air, games like a champ, the 1090T if you can afford it is a champion. Cant forget the 1075T either...
4) Honestly if you have the money to spare the 1055T is a great chip. Since it seems you will watercool(based on your sig) i would suggest this and OC with it up to 4.0 or higher. You should be seeing the price drop. However if it is out of your price range a 955 c3 stepping is the best bet(the 965 has the same OC ceiling for a higher price..).

Thank you feather

I won't be watercooling, that signature is old.
I am planning on using a coolermaster hyper 212 or a Scythe Mugen v2 in my next build. (Toms Hardware review recommends it for x58's and AM3's even over the noctua NH-D14)

I just need assurance that an AMD cpu can run my games that I like just like my Q6600 can now at the native res of 1680x1050 fully maxed.
Examples would be Splinter Cell Series, ARMA Series, Rainbowsix Series, Dragon Age Series, Mass Effect Series, F.E.A.R. Series, COD Series, and Need For Speed/Test Drive Series.
I have always been an intel guy, so I just want to make sure these cpu's can do it. Intel is just too pricey for me thesedays. Suprisingly the only game my GTX 260 can't run at max is alpha protocol.

Last edited:
ahh, in that case, well using a Mugen v2 you will get pretty far on the hex's. They OC better than the x4's and are cooler too boot (pun intended). You might not get 4.0 on air(For that they love volts), but 3.8/3.9 is very do able (i got my 1090T at 3.8, 1.35v with 48c load, in a 86f environment)....that last little push needed alot more volts than i would ever do on air.

Which AMD CPU is the equivalent of my current Q6600 G0 SLACR for a base line to start at.
If you mean your overclocked Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, then a similarly clocked Phenom II would be about equal, so about a Phenom II 955.

Which AMD CPU is the equivalent of a i7 930 and i5 760 in terms of gaming performance?
None really, the Phenom II X4 970 probably comes closest, followed by the X6 1090T. In general Core i5/i7 are faster at gaming, especially if you compare max O/C vs max O/C (~4GHz for both camps). It should be mentioned that some games are more CPU bound than others, while some are prodominantly GPU bound and CPU speed has little effect on framerates.

Which is the best option specificly for a gaming pc build with some encoding in sony vegas pro 9.0e? dual core, four core, or six core.

Any 'Black Edition' chip would be ideal. 6 cores is overkill for games, you're better off with a faster clocked quad. However, like I said earlier, Core i5/i7s are the faster chips for gaming...

Thank you harpoon | feather

I currently run my system bone stock at 2.4Ghz, but 3.2 Ghz to 3.6Ghz has always been my dream overclock. I used to run 3.2Ghz, but my 680i is currently completely unstable to run 3.2Ghz solid even with watercooling and a toughpower 800w PSU. If I run it stable for 2-3 days on 3.2 I shut it off, wake up the next day and it completely resets the bios, eventhough it was running fine for two days and it passed 24 hours of prime 95. I will never buy another nforce board again, it doesn't oc properly. Nvidia video cards yes, but nforce based boards... No way! I just wanted to explain why I run my Q6600 @ default speeds, but once I dump this board for a new system I will take full advantage of overclocking with a good air cooler.

1) Actually I've seen a few benchmarks showing the $100 Athlon X4 640 providing pretty much the same performance asthe Q6600
2) None as others have said
3) Phenom II 1055T or the 955 BE
4) Core i5 750. It actually outperforms the Phenom II 1055T in Sony Vegas Pro 8. Not sure about 9.0e

lol, good thing AMD doesnt have any good nvidia chipsets ;) the 980a is just a slightly tweaked 780a so some CPU's and DDR3 was supported....the ATI/AMD chipsets are very good performers

Thanks I will look into the black editions

One more question, does AM3 socket support my current ram and video card or am I still gonna have to make the jump to costly DDR3? Can I plug a GTX 260 into an AM3 board? I would rather not have to add a new video card and DDR3 to the cost for upgrades.

One more question, does AM3 socket support my current ram and video card or am I still gonna have to make the jump to costly DDR3? Can I plug a GTX 260 into an AM3 board? I would rather not have to add a new video card and DDR3 to the cost for upgrades.

You're gonna have to go with socket AM2+ for DDR2 RAM support. But many socket AM3 CPUs will work just fine with socket AM2+ motherboards and DDR2 RAM. And there's no noticeable performance difference between AM2+ + DDR2 RAM and AM3 + DDR3 RAM.

Do note that DDR3 RAM prices have dropped over the past few months. Now you can get 4GB of DDR3 RAM for only $70.

Yes you can plug in ANY video card, regardless of AMD or NVidia, into an AMD motherboard.

AM3 is DDR3. You will need an AM2+ mobo to continue running your DDR2. A GTX260 will run fine on an AM3 mobo.

Edit - Darn... beaten by Danny by 1 minute. :p

I decided on a X4 955/965/970

many socket AM3 CPUs will work just fine with socket AM2+ motherboards and DDR2 RAM
Since I have finally decided on a 955/965/970 I need to know which one of these will work in a AM2+ MB with my ram. Every review that I have read comparing the 955/965/970 says to save the cash and overclock a 955 to 3.8/3.9Ghz. They also state that the 955 is for experienced overclockers while the 970 is for people who fear overclocking that can use the ATI overdrive tool to safely overclock as a beginner.

So my question has to be, how hard is it to overclock a 955 vs getting a 970 and using ATI override for 3.8Ghz to 4.0Ghz?
Also I know its outside of the topic itself, but what cooler should I pair with those specific cpu's assuming I am going for 4 ghz as my max? (Forget I said mugen v2, I just want to know what you recommend)

Since I have finally decided on a 955/965/970 I need to know which one of these will work in a AM2+ MB with my ram.
All of them will work with your RAM.

However IMO the Phenom II 970 is a stupid buy. It's only 100Mhz faster than the Phenom II 965 and 300Mhz faster than the 955. Yet it costs $20 and $40 more than those CPUs respectively. It would not be intelligent idea to buy the 970. Especially since it's so close in price to the faster Core i5 750 CPU.
So my question has to be, how hard is it to overclock a 955 vs getting a 970 and using ATI override for 3.8Ghz to 4.0Ghz?
It's AMD Overdrive, not Override. Unless you're extremely incompetent or have bad luck and got a not so good overclocking 955, it's not that hard to OC a 955 to 3.8Ghz.
Also I know its outside of the topic itself, but what cooler should I pair with those specific cpu's assuming I am going for 4 ghz as my max? (Forget I said mugen v2, I just want to know what you recommend)
My recommendation:
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

Back