Which 8800 GTX to buy?

skunkmunkey

Limp Gawd
Ok im now about to buy my new card but ive noticed a large diffference in price with cards from different manufacturers. Can anyone give me a good reason to purchase this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=495286

instead of this

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=491975

for all intents and purposes they seem to be the exact same specs so im at a loss as to which one to go for, previous experience tells me to go for the expensive one, but then that could be money spent elsewhere on my rig!!!!

8800GTX factory pre overclocking has been banned, and for the first run of chips, Nvidia basically just sends the company the entire card, the company sticks their sticker on the cooler and puts it in a box.
There are 3 cards out there which are different, but in no way overclocked or anything:
1) Foxcon = same cooler, but with blue LEDs under the hood
2) BFG = Watercooled version (i.e. comes with a waterblock)
3) Cant remember which manufacturer, but has a peltier cooled system.

Go for the cheaper one, as they are exactly the same card. The more expensive one means nothing, they are exactly the same. Save the cash and buy a few pints!

f

Well check out the warranty as well. XFX has lifetime warranty but I have no idea what the other company has. If they have a one year I'd go for the XFX, but if it's 3 or something get the cheaper one.

Okay just checked out the website. If you're in the UK getting warranty service would be a *****. You gotta send it to Honk Kong and it only comes with a year. Thats why the price difference is so great and if I were you I'd search around a little more and try to find an evga/xfx/bfg for around 400-425

MrSuge said:
Okay just checked out the website. If you're in the UK getting warranty service would be a *****. You gotta send it to Honk Kong and it only comes with a year. Thats why the price difference is so great and if I were you I'd search around a little more and try to find an evga/xfx/bfg for around 400-425

Based on that alone i would say screw the palit and get the XFX. 1 year warranty what a freakin joke. :rolleyes:

eVga,

Great support and StepUp window of 90 days to a better product if one is released. StepUp = full credit for the card you buy towards a better one within 90 days of purchase. If you do get the eVga be sure to register it @ the site within 30 days.

I'd buy eVga even without StepUp based on the way they have treated me in the past.

Blacklash said:
eVga,

Great support and StepUp window of 90 days to a better product if one is released. StepUp = full credit for the card you buy towards a better one within 90 days of purchase. If you do get the eVga be sure to register it @ the site within 30 days.

I'd buy eVga even without StepUp based on the way they have treated me in the past.

I agree with eVGA. Their warranty and step-up program can't be beat. Great products.

FYI....I see that you are interested in our cards, but I did want to let you know that today we do launch our Factory Overclocked 8800GTX and GTS. Our website will reflect this information shortly.

XFX Support

XFX has treated me well, and I have had 3 cards from them now.....no problems. Got to throw in my vote for them....

eVGA has given me personally better support.

XFX is my runner up, I normally buy from them (cheaper in bulk) for customer builds.

BFG lost my vote when they refused to ship an RMA to me without declaring it as a new item to customs (IE, I paid taxes AGAIN on a 500$ RMA'd card).

I've used eVGA, XFX, and BFG all without issues.

Any of those would be a good choice. Though all the 8800GTS/8800GTX cards are the same, there is a difference between the warranty and support you recieve from various companies.

Think im gonna wait for the oc'ed versions of the xfx, my trusty XFX 7800 gtx has served me well, oc'ed for over a year now. Any idea when the Clocked 8800gtx will be released in uk?

Back