Which 24 port "smart" gigabit switch?

Stereodude

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a 24 port "smart" / quasi-managed gigabit Layer 2 switch (10/100/1000 on all 24 ports). Noise is not an issue. If it matters, this is for my home network. I need VLAN support and jumbo frame support also. I would like the ability to mirror ports as well.

I'd like to stay under $500. The further under the better. I've seen at least one review praise the Linksys SRW family, but the reviews on Newegg (SRW2016 review) seem far less enthusiastic.

Does anyone have any opinions about the 3com Baseline Plus series of smart switches? Specifically the 2924-SFP?

Any other suggestions?

You're the 2nd person to suggest that model to me... Or maybe you're not... :p

ProCurves are great switches. You're not going to find a better 24 port qusi managed no fan switch anywhere (and they're cheaper than cisco gear).

ProCurves are great switches. You're not going to find a better 24 port quasi managed no fan switch anywhere (and they're cheaper than cisco gear).
Ok, But I don't need a no fan switch. So, if I can accept a fan is there a better choice?

Ok, But I don't need a no fan switch. So, if I can accept a fan is there a better choice?

No fan == quiet. You might be able to find crappier switches with fans for cheaper than the procurve, but really, especially for edge switches, procurves are arguably the best.

For your price range, the ProCurve will be about the best. In a cheaper price range, you've got the Dell PowerConnect 2724 though. It's about $260.

Procurves are awesome switches. I manage about 23 of them at work as closet switches. You can't go wrong with them.

Procurves are awesome switches. I manage about 23 of them at work as closet switches. You can't go wrong with them.
Any suggestions on where to buy one for not a lot of coin. Feeding the part number into pricegrabber.com doesn't exactly return gobs of reputable retailers with good pricing.

Odd, this review has the reviewer complaining of fan whine on the 1800-24G, which according to you folks and HP doesn't have a fan... :confused: If that's wrong, I wonder if the rest of his review is worth anything.

Odd, this review has the reviewer complaining of fan whine on the 1800-24G, which according to you folks and HP doesn't have a fan... :confused: If that's wrong, I wonder if the rest of his review is worth anything.

I don't use the 1800 so I can't comment on whether it has a fan or not. I know that the switch it replaced (the 1700) does not have a fan if I remember correctly. Mostly I use the 2650's and 3400's. Take my comments as a recommendation for the Procurve line of switchs overall.

I've got an HP ProCurve 1800-24G sitting 2 feet away from me right now. Trust me, it doesn't have a fan.

i have the dell powerconnect line, so far so good, im not using the managed portion but they are deff cheap and been working great

I would take a look at Adtran's Netvanta switches. The NetVanta 1524ST might be able to suit your needs.

Does anyone have any opinions about the 3com Baseline Plus series of smart switches? Specifically the 2924-SFP?

At work we're finishing up replacing all of our 3com's with ProCurves. Despite the fact that all of the 3com's were still working it was decided that the ProCurves would offer better uptime and would be worth the cost.

Well...

It looks like the Linksys SRW2024 and 3com 2924-SFP have the most comprehensive feature set. They're the only two with ACL However, I'm not sure if ACL is remotely useful in a home network. However, the 3com does have the shortest warranty at only 3 years, but it is one of the cheapest.

Choices... Choices...

Ok, well this thread comes to it's end. I ended up buying a HP Procurve 1800-24G like so many of you suggested. :eek:

Not bad, i would have got a Cisco:cool::rolleyes:

Why? It's for a home network..and he only needs the basic managed features he mentioned. Combined with his limited budget...would not a Catalyst be a bit overkill?

I think too many people get caught up in dropping the "Cisco" name just because they think it sounds cool.

Well, apparently I spoke too soon. The craptacular vendor I ordered it from is busy doing Lord knows what with my order. It's been 5 days and they've basically done nothing. They have two listings on their site for the switch and the price is always changing and they two listings are not the same price. When I ordered the cheaper of the two listings was "in stock", now magically, only the more expensive one is listed as "in stock". :rolleyes:

I guess the moral of the story is don't buy anything from www.alwayslowest.com I should have known better, but I decided to risk it to save a few buck. Now I can begin the calling and yelling. :mad:

Hence the nickname...."Always SLOWEST"
You got that right. Yesterday I get an e-mail telling me there was an unexpected delay with my order and they won't be able to ship it before an estimated ship date of 1/11/08. What a bunch of clowns. :mad:

Back