Need gigE, VLANs, rackmount, how about this?

longblock454

2[H]4U
Netgear GS724T

Can't even buy a used Cisco for that price. The VLAN restrictions in the user reviews will not bother me.

What do you guys think? Must have gigE, basic VLANs, rackmount, anything else is a bonus!

That's a pretty good price for such a switch. When you hit the Dell 27xx sale price range, it doesn't tend to get much cheaper. The Dell's a bit cheaper, but the Netgear has a much better warranty.

I suggest considering the HP 1800-24g. It's a bit more, but could be a safer bet.

Doesn't look too bad. We have been putting in Linksys SRW2024's when we need a gigabit switch and don't want to go into the cisco range.

The first one we put in had the issue with the bad serial port. They next 5 or 6 we have installed have worked great.

I'll jump on the HP bandwagon too... Others have mentioned the warranty... For those of you not familiar with HP's Procurve warranty, all their ProCurve products carry a LIFETIME hardware warranty.

Just a couple weeks ago, I had a 8+ year old HP Procurve 4000's power supply die. Called HP, spent less than 10 minutes on the phone... they sent out a new power supply next day with no hassle or fuss. Not only am I happy that they sent out a new power supply on a switch that's over 8 years old, but I'm happy that the switch had been running in production constantly for over 8 years.

Ya, another fan of the HP products here. I'd take them over Cisco any day, and I think most others would agree.

I'll jump on the HP bandwagon too... Others have mentioned the warranty... For those of you not familiar with HP's Procurve warranty, all their ProCurve products carry a LIFETIME hardware warranty.
Does the warranty transfer if the equipment is sold?

Lets say a 5 year old switch has reached end of life for the original company or it's acquired through asset liquidation, then resold on ebay or auctioned off.

Another vote for HP. We're in the process of replacing all of our 3coms with ProCurves.

I just installed a DLink DGS-1216T SmartSwitch this evening. So far, works fine and supports VLAN as required.

$220 at mWave (16 port version). Much cheaper than NewEgg...

Man, I haven't seen a HP switch in years! Researching them now......Thanks for the suggestions.

Just a couple weeks ago, I had a 8+ year old HP Procurve 4000's power supply die. Called HP, spent less than 10 minutes on the phone... they sent out a new power supply next day with no hassle or fuss. Not only am I happy that they sent out a new power supply on a switch that's over 8 years old, but I'm happy that the switch had been running in production constantly for over 8 years.

Not on "all" of their products, but most!

I had a 4000 when they first came out, great chassis.

Which also answers "cyr0n_k0r"'s question
"For as long as you own the product"

How about this TRENDnet?

Way cheaper, 5 year warranty. Never owned one and they have almost no user reviews anywhere.

You know what... I didn't even look at the Netgear you linked to. Out of all the choices, I would go with that one (Netgear GS724T). It doesent look like you want to spend much more money, and the netgear supports SNMP, which most of these cheap "web managed" switches dont. I curently own a dell 2724, and I like it alot, but I wish I had SNMP. That Netgear GS724T does have it.

I do NOT think the TrendNet does support SNMP. I am not seeing any reference to it on their web page, or Newegg's

Edit: I just spotted this on their web page
"Proprietary Windows Based Management/Monitoring Utility (similar to SNMP Trap)"
. I would want real SNMP support not some proprietary stuff. With SNMP you can use your choice of many monitoring tools.

I've found the TRENDnet for $190, thats pretty cheap. But I've never used their equipment, and can't find anything good or bad in terms of reliability?

I have only had 1 or 2 of their products and that was years ago (a 10 Mb hub with BNC and RJ45 connectors is the one I remember). They worked, good, but I would not use that as an indicator of how good or bad they are today.

Not on "all" of their products, but most!

For as long as you own the product, on ALL parts, including fan and power supply (The 9300m, 9400sl, 8100fl and 700wl series products have a 1 year warranty on all parts). Upgrades are available through HP Care Packs at an extra charge. Local country legal terms and conditions apply.

Which also answers "cyr0n_k0r"'s question

Yes, sorry, I forgot about the 9300, 9400, and 8100 series switches... IIRC, HP actually acquired that larger "core switch" technology from another party and rebranded it as their own... It wasn't designed by HP, so maybe support from the third party and logistics of the extended warranty killed their ability to offer the lifetime option. Anyhow, those are a bit bigger than the original poster was looking for. :)

I own a NETGEAR GS724T - it's the "core" switch in my house and has been outstanding. Ghost across the network is incredibly fast and I haven't rebooted the thing since I bought it except when I upgraded the firmware a few months ago. Unfortunately I can't speak to the VLAN features as I haven't really used them.

Unless you can get a GigE Cisco or HP off ebay for the same price, I'd recommend it.

All, Netgear it is! I'll keep you posted as to the performance...Thanks for all the suggestions.

but the Netgear has a much better warranty.

It's trying to get Nutgear to honor their warranty that's the pain in the butt. Couple of experiences with them...I'll never install their stuff again....had to spend absolutely insane amounts of my time trying to get the RMA process going. Clients out of equipment for a long time.

Been doing Linksys/Cisco SRW switches for quite a while..decent stuff for the price. Where I can squeeze more money out of clients...been using HPs ProCurves lately..love those.

Also, I used about 130 or so of their Prosafe switches at my old job at Sony, IIRC we only had one fail in about 5 years.

Yes, sorry, I forgot about the 9300, 9400, and 8100 series switches... IIRC, HP actually acquired that larger "core switch" technology from another party and rebranded it as their own... It wasn't designed by HP, so maybe support from the third party and logistics of the extended warranty killed their ability to offer the lifetime option. Anyhow, those are a bit bigger than the original poster was looking for. :)

Correct. Some of HP's chassis based switches are made by Foundry.

That's a pretty good price for such a switch. When you hit the Dell 27xx sale price range, it doesn't tend to get much cheaper. The Dell's a bit cheaper, but the Netgear has a much better warranty.

I suggest considering the HP 1800-24g. It's a bit more, but could be a safer bet.

Agreed, I like the 1800-24G for it's price range. I've just picked up an 1800G to setup an iSCSI SAN at home. Also picked up 2 of the Intel Quad-Port GigE PCI-E NIC's for the server and workstation.

Back