Where's the best place to buy a 360?

Phimp

Gawd
I haven't played Halo3 in several months and I'm going through withdrawals.
I'm wanting to pick up a 360 (with 20GB HD), Halo3, CoD4 (never played it but looks awesome), and a VGA cable for my 2007WFP.
My instinct tells me to check online for the cheapest used/refurbished 360 I can find, but with them dropping like flies due to the RRoD issues, I'd be pretty hesitant to purchase a used/refurbished 360 from anywhere... especially online since on eBay people can be pretty scandalous - selling their 360 as soon as they see the RRoD because it usually starts out as an occasional thing and then after a month it doesn't work at all. And there's no guarantee that they'll have a warranty if you buy on eBay or something.

The cheapest I can find is at TigerDirect, $250 for a refurb. plus the cost of halo3+cod4...

any suggestions?

I'm hoping to get my bro to sell me his since he hasn't turned it on in over 6 months. premium console w/ hard drive, 2 wireless controllers, Guitar Hero 2, halo3, burnout revenge, GRAW... he doesn't even play it. what a waste.

I'd say ransack your brother's place and straight up steal that biz.

Get a brand new one.

RROD has a 3 year warraty now. But the DVD drives are fairly shitty as well, which are NOT covered under the 3 year warranty, they are only covered for one year.

My launch 360 quit spinning the discs up. My brothers old box would scratch discs or decide to not read them sometimes.

I would never buy a used one...

eBay actually isn't a bad place to look - you can often find new, unopened 360s for under retail, even including shipping.

Check your local craigslist, call the seller, ask for the manufacture date, negotiate a deal. I scored an elite that was 6 months old with 5 games for $275.00.

ya, I've been keeping an eye on eBay for 360's that are sealed.
I wouldn't buy an used 360 on ebay...

haven't thought to check craigslist, I'll search around
I'm just super paranoid that it's gonna be on the fritz and about to start RRoD'ing all the time and they know that so they are selling it.

meanwhile, I'm workin on talking my bro into selling me his stuff for ~$200... brother discount. lol
he's still being lame. he hasn't turned the damn thing on in months but he insists that he wants it.
i miss halo3 :( lol

Geometry Wars for Wii is holding me off till I buy the 360 w/ Halo3 & CoD4.

Go new. My buddy's about to buy a brand new elite from ebay for $399. $35 shipping and no tax.

Now, now, we're going to have plenty of threads about That Game without hijacking this one. :)

As generally said, though: unless your brother gives you a smoking deal on his 360, Phimp, it's definitely safer to get a new one. eBay, craigslist, brick-and-mortars, wherever...

Ya, I think I'm gonna go new.

Premium system for $350 + Halo3 + CoD4 + VGA Cable = more money that I was hoping to spend... but oh well, I'll be on the hunt for a new system on eBay/Craigslist w/ a couple games with it or something I guess.

But ya, my bro is still being a queef-cookie so I'm giving up on that angle.

Ya, I think I'm gonna go new.

Premium system for $350 + Halo3 + CoD4 + VGA Cable = more money that I was hoping to spend... but oh well, I'll be on the hunt for a new system on eBay/Craigslist w/ a couple games with it or something I guess.

But ya, my bro is still being a queef-cookie so I'm giving up on that angle.

Haven't heard that word since junior high. ;)

You might want to add a particular game to that cost equation (hint: releases at midnight).

Ya I think it'll be a while until I pick up GTA IV.
The game is going to be so ridiculously massive that it'll take up way too much time to complete. :p
GTA III and Vice City took long enough if you were aiming for 100%, so IV will probably take about a year and a half haha

I'll probably just buy the premium system w/ VGA cable and grab Halo3 from my bro's next time I'm up there and just buy it whenever he notices it's gone (should be a couple months), and then pick up CoD4 or GTA IV in a month or so after I've had my fill of Halo3 and start to yearn for something new.

Ya I think it'll be a while until I pick up GTA IV.
The game is going to be so ridiculously massive that it'll take up way too much time to complete. :p
GTA III and Vice City took long enough if you were aiming for 100%, so IV will probably take about a year and a half haha

I'll probably just buy the premium system w/ VGA cable and grab Halo3 from my bro's next time I'm up there and just buy it whenever he notices it's gone (should be a couple months), and then pick up CoD4 or GTA IV in a month or so after I've had my fill of Halo3 and start to yearn for something new.

Just curious, why the need for a vga cable? Why not just stick with the components or even go DVI cable?

FWIW, Best Buy is offering a $50 gift card for buying a 360 + GTAIV.
Circuit City is offering a wireless controller and a Gamer's Savings Club membership.

Just curious, why the need for a vga cable? Why not just stick with the components or even go DVI cable?

because, at least in my experience (I have a 2407), VGA quality is much better than component.

because, at least in my experience (I have a 2407), VGA quality is much better than component.

Wouldn't DVI be better than VGA though? If you're going to go out of your way to get a second cable, why not just go digital?

Wouldn't DVI be better than VGA though? If you're going to go out of your way to get a second cable, why not just go digital?

I'm thinking he's possibly using the DVI connection for his computer. I know that's how my setup was.
PC->DVI
360->VGA

If it isn't, then I would definitely just order a DVI->HDMI cable/converter off of monoprice.com.

The BestBuy deal is the best one I've seen so far. $50 gift card when you buy a 360 + GTA:IV. That's the route I'd take if I didn't have a 360 yet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat149900050010&type=category

As Smititty suggested, I'll be using it with a Dell 2007WFP. PC using DVI and 360 using VGA. And I can't see any benefit to using something like HDMI-->DVI to the LCD anyways, because the display can only go up to 1680x1050, so I'll be setting the 360 to use 1280x768 anyways. From what I've read, the VGA cable looks flawless at that resolution and under but suffers at full 1920x1080.
I also noticed that any brand of VGA cable for the 360 other than the official MS one has shit reviews and have poor video quality so I found a MS VGA cable for cheap, ordering tonight.

FWIW, Best Buy is offering a $50 gift card for buying a 360 + GTAIV.
Circuit City is offering a wireless controller and a Gamer's Savings Club membership.
I love best buy :) thanks for the tip.

& Smititty, thanks for the link.

Well, my other bro is big on the GTA games and has a 360 also, so I'll see if he wants to buy GTA IV, I'll pick the console and game up at best buy, and use the $50 gift card towards CoD4 or marketplace points for the Halo3 map packs (forgot I have to buy those for the console... lame) and just borrow halo3 from one of my bros. Then play through GTA IV after my bro is done with it.
sounds like a plan :)

As Smititty suggested, I'll be using it with a Dell 2007WFP. PC using DVI and 360 using VGA. And I can't see any benefit to using something like HDMI-->DVI to the LCD anyways, because the display can only go up to 1680x1050, so I'll be setting the 360 to use 1280x768 anyways. From what I've read, the VGA cable looks flawless at that resolution and under but suffers at full 1920x1080.

I'm still using the VGA cables hooked up to my new 40" at 1920x1080 and it still looks awesome. Only problem is that at the higher res, I can see the jagged edges a little more. No big problem though, everything I've played on it has looked damn good.

Hmm.. well the cable I had found online that was only like $20 isn't a Microsoft made cable, thought it was.

so ya. is it really necessary to spend $40 for a MS VGA cable? Because everywhere I've looked people say 3rd party VGA cables look like shiznit.
Granted, if I use the best buy deal to get the free $50 gift card it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I'd like to be able to throw that towards a $60 game...

So, Smititty, what brand cable are you using?

-UPDATED-

I've ordered the Play&Charge Kit and Burnout Paradise for a total of $59 through Buy.com.

In the next few days I'm gonna order the Premium 360 Console, GTA IV, MS VGA cable, and the free $50 gift card from Best Buy online, then pick up the Console and hopefully the VGA cable in store same day. (GTA IV is out of stock in my area, so is the microsoft vga cable for now, and the $50 gift card has to be shipped.)

Question: on my bro's 360 I have a bajillion game saves and all that jazz from living in his house for the past year. I know I could use a memory card to transfer game saves and whatnot, but I don't currently have access to one, I know the 360 can read usb drives, can I use a small Fat32 usb drive to transfer gamesaves? probably not.. that would be way too easy lol
Any recommendations on this?
Also, things like Halo3 saved game replays/clips/screenshots, can you transfer those between consoles without having to upload/download them through bungie's servers?

Picked up the Xbox 360, GTA IV, and the Microsoft VGA Cable at Best Buy today, and I have Burnout Paradise and a Play&Charge kit coming from Buy.com, should ship today.

Wow! Everything looks amazing with the VGA cable on my Dell 2007WFP!
Using 1280x768 since it's the closest to the native resolution's aspect ratio (1680x1050 = about 16:10).
And GTA IV is pretty fun, slightly annoying to have to be able to operate a cell phone while driving though lol and getting phone calls every 20 seconds when you aren't on missions gets annoying. But that aside, awesome game! Looks phenomenal on my setup and I'm loving the physics engine.

But ya, one thing I had forgotten about was that when I first created my XBLive account/Gamertag a few years back, I was under 18, so it was a child account. So I can't download any Game Demos that are rated Mature... even though I'm 19.
I need to "Promote the Child Account" to fix this. simple enough?
I don't have a credit card (i know, i know, it's on my to-do list. lol). And you need to change the credit card on file for your account in order to do this.

Anyways, now I just have to decide what I want to buy with the $50 Best Buy gift card that's headed my way in the mail... hmm... maybe put it towards a wireless racing wheel?

Back