Where to get Pre-crimped 100+ ft cat6 Cables?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So, Monoprice doesn't have them.

Can't seem to find them on Amazon.

Newegg has only one, and its 200ft (too long) $50 and blue (need something that cna blend against a white wall)

Cable4pc.com seems defunct.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

Can you just use a surface mount and run the cable back to a patch panel? Then you'd just need a much smaller patch cable from the surface mount to device.

why not buy a box of cable and crimp it? patch panel on one side, this way you can make it whatever length you need/

Can you just use a surface mount and run the cable back to a patch panel? Then you'd just need a much smaller patch cable from the surface mount to device.

This. For something that long I'd make it a permanent install with a jack at each end. Whether it's a patch panel and jack, or just two jacks. Better than a single patch cable.

Hmmm, maybe get a 100ft cable, something like this(coupler) and then however much more you need? Sorry, only suggestion I could think of. :(

I would just go to the basement and find some white Cat5e and run exactly the length I needed. Like Nocturnal and Red Squirrel said, I would put jacks on both ends.

I would just go to the basement and find some white Cat5e and run exactly the length I needed. Like Nocturnal and Red Squirrel said, I would put jacks on both ends.

I guess I have a little bit of crimping anxiety.

If I go this route I'd have to buy a 1000ft reel of cat 6 cable, connectors AND a crimping tool, right?

Are there any good guides?

I do not like putting plugs on wire unless I have to (especially with solid wire) which is why I suggest putting jacks on both ends (punchdown) then use premade patch cords at both ends.
HD and Lowe's do sell Cat 6 cable by the foot.

I do not like putting plugs on wire unless I have to, which is why I suggest putting jacks on both ends (punchdown) then use premade patch cords at both ends.
HD and Lowe's do sell Cat 6 cable by the foot.

Good to know.

I can't put jacks in the wall though. I'm in an apartment, and the owner is VERY protective of the walls (I can't even put pinholes in them). My plan is to use those small white plastic raceways to run the cable along the baseboard.

What is your concern when it comes to plugs on wires?

I have plenty of short patch cables I could use though.

Would one of those female jacks on the end of a cable be any better than a plug?

It's just not worth my time to crimp plugs on cables when I can buy solid wire in bulk for permanent installs, and use premade patch cords to go from the wall to the computer, and patch panel to switch.
I would say that yes, jacks on both ends would be better than a plug.

Time to move, I'd hate to live in a place where I cant do anything to it. That's why I own. :D

Time to move, I'd hate to live in a place where I cant do anything to it. That's why I own. :D

Yeah, I had my own place. I routed cat 6 cabling through the walls.

Then my wife and I split up.

This is a temporary arrangement until I can save up for a down payment on a new place.

It's not bad for a furnished rental though :p

(I can understand why the landlord is picky about damage and holes and stuff)

Holy crap that IS nice. Since it's temp I would just run multiple cat6 cables with a bunch of couplers.

There has to be someone in this forum with a box of cat6 laying around that you could make a deal with.

You don't have to buy a whole 1000ft box.

Either:

1. Go to home depot or lowes and see if they have cat6, if not cat5e could probably suffice, they sell it by the foot.

2. Electrical supply places (graybar etc) will sometime sell the stuff by the foot too.

Throwing a couple jacks on the end is much easier than crimping, the jacks you'd find at home depot or lowest sometime come with a little plastic pusher you can use in lieu of a good punchdown tool and then just trim the excess by hand.

The adhesive used in many cable raceways will do far more damage to a wall during removal than any nail would do.

Be careful!

Also, love the place!

Zarathustra[H];1039360623 said:
***snip***

My plan is to use those small white plastic raceways to run the cable along the baseboard.

***snip***

Yeah the sticky ones will rip the paint and sometimes even the drywall paper right off. I know from experience. :D You could use some of those removable Command hooks though. I don't know how well they actually work but apparently they don't leave any marks. I think they partially work on the concept of suction.

Yeah the sticky ones will rip the paint and sometimes even the drywall paper right off. I know from experience. :D You could use some of those removable Command hooks though. I don't know how well they actually work but apparently they don't leave any marks. I think they partially work on the concept of suction.

Hmm.

I plan on running them along the floor anyway, so I may just use a little bit of removeable sticky putty or something, just to keep them from sliding around.

Thanks for the heads up though. No desire to pull paint off the walls here...

Back