Where to find anti-static bags?

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
So I just put my video card up for sale, and lo and behold - I can't find my anti-static bags! I'm not sure if the video card actually came with one. Do video cards need the bags if I'm shipping it in the original box? I'm going to assume they do since I think all the cards I ever bought in my life came in them (I think). Where can one go to get some?

It depends on the manufacturer. Higher-end ASUS cards generally don't come in an anti-static bag since they have them encased in an ESD padded foam. Try any local computer parts store, I'm sure they'll sell anti-static bags.

Or you could try eBay?

There's one about two hours away. I have to do a computer build for someone soon, so I might just pull the card from the FS/FT forum and just wait until we go there and get the bags while I'm there. Thanks guys. :)

Trustworthy Local computer store. I stopped buying them from mine though. I was happy to help them out for $3 a bag and all but recently the bags They would sell me were sticky or had to be cleaned before i used them. One day i looked when the lady went to the back to get ome for me and she was digging through the trash. Now i just dumpster dive for them there, scored a few odds and ends there parts wise as well.

Trustworthy Local computer store. I stopped buying them from mine though. I was happy to help them out for $3 a bag and all but recently the bags They would sell me were sticky or had to be cleaned before i used them. One day i looked when the lady went to the back to get ome for me and she was digging through the trash. Now i just dumpster dive for them there, scored a few odds and ends there parts wise as well.

Funny story. I might ask around too, I'm sure some of my geek friends have one. :)

It's been said here already, but I use eBay for mine. You can get multi-sized packs for cheap.

It's been said here already, but I use eBay for mine. You can get multi-sized packs for cheap.

Quoted for truth. You can get tons of nice odds and ends like these for extremely low prices. I paid I think $5 for a pack of 25 antistatic 10" by 14" bags recently, shipped.

If you can't find any, paper bags actually work very well and they are free at your local grocery store.

If you can't find any, paper bags actually work very well and they are free at your local grocery store.
While it might work, if I received a graphics card wrapped in a paper grocery bag I'd laugh and roll my eyes. Seems a little ghetto. ;)

5 seconds and google search yielded A LOT of results. Microcenter, eBay, Amazon, McMaster-Carr and plethora of others.

Personally, I just hold on to all of mine from hardware purchases just in case. I like to keep the retail boxes as well, because I rarely hold on to computer hardware for long.

Another technique is to use a cotton sock and PVC bag. The drier the better. Try it. Go on..... try it.

Another technique is to use a cotton sock and PVC bag. The drier the better. Try it. Go on..... try it.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

...I got a whole pile from Uline. You have to buy in quantity, sort of -- they won't sell you just one bag -- but the minimum quantities aren't bad and this stuff doesn't exactly spoil ;) IIRC they have about a zillion sizes, too.

Go to work, go to the IT department or the recycling department, ask if they have any there.

If you're in school, look around in school.

There's no reason to have to buy anti-static bags, they're so common nowadays.

RE: Mcmaster-Carr:
I would recommend to avoid them, unless I'm at fault here. Ordered 1 pack@10 per 12x15" or whatever, shipping was $5-6. From Southern CA (where they are) to Mid/Northern CA. If I'm not at fault, it's a shame because they appear to have everything you could possibly want.

They also do not display shipping costs or tax before you submit your order, so once it gets shipped/charged you can't say "no thanks." I was expecting $2-3 at the most.

We use U-Line at work, however, the modules come in originally from Germany in these very heavy duty bubble anti-static bags, that I've squirreled away personally a giant pile :D

U-Line I believe the minimum quantity though is 100 or so a case?

Back