Where to buy hardware in Boston/New York?

[TW]Fox

n00b
Hi all,

I'm from the UK and will be visiting the States next month for a holiday - cannot wait!

I thought I'd take the opportunity to use the favourable exchange rate to buy my next upgrade while I'm over - Going for a DFI Lanparty, 2Gb of DDR, an Athlon64 3200+ and possibly a PCI-E 6800GT.

I've been looking at the prices on Newegg and, well, they are great. But the problem is I cannot buy from Newegg as although I'm renting a house for a week in Boston (Then 4 days in NY), my credit card is at my UK address so I cannot order from them.

So, does anyone know of any retailers in either Boston or New York where I can pick up what I need at decent prices? I've no idea how it works over in the States, are Newegg super-cheap and I wont find prices anywhere near at normal retailers? Do you guys have any advice?

Cheers!

[TW]Fox said:
So, does anyone know of any retailers in either Boston or New York where I can pick up what I need at decent prices? I've no idea how it works over in the States, are Newegg super-cheap and I wont find prices anywhere near at normal retailers? Do you guys have any advice?

Cheers!

The reason (As I understand it) that newegg and other online sites are so cheap is because they don't charge as much markup on their products.

You might try finding a place like Best Buy or another electronics retailer, a lot of times they can have really nice sales.

You should be shot for sending a friend from across the Big Pond to Best Buy on his first trip to the colonies! Talk about a bad first impression! ;) :D

I'd bet if you called Newegg and told them you're from the UK, they'd have no problem working with you to get what you want shipped where you want.

Reading the address verication page http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/AddressVerification.asp it doesn't say you have to be in the US...just that your shipping address matches your credit card address.

Oh and enjoy your visit!

Wanna hang out with me in New York City? :D

While Best Buy may have nice sales...

They are for the most part, very expensive.

My friend wasted over $250 dollars for a SD400 Camera at Best Buy when she could've bought it online and bought other extra stuff as well...

-J.

Microcenter is probably the best one here in Boston, better than CompUSA or Best Buy.

Up in New York I think they have The Wiz or something. I haven't really been around Manhattan that much though.

Microcenter is the only place. I go there from time to time myself. Its over on memorial drive in cambrigde (Its the street that follows along the charles river on the cambrigde side). They also have a web page with pricing. www.microcenter.com

Peach said:
theres PCs For Everyone in cambridge too, and don't forget my work :)

So if I head up to IHP and I ask for Peach, will people stare at me?

I have not heard of PCs for Everyone though, I should look it up.

edit: Hmm, it looks like they're just builders, or do they also sell parts?

BillLeeLee said:
So if I head up to IHP and I ask for Peach, will people stare at me?

I have not heard of PCs for Everyone though, I should look it up.

edit: Hmm, it looks like they're just builders, or do they also sell parts?

No, i'm known everywhere as peach heheh, PCs for everyone sells parts i believe, and so do we, but most of our stuff we have to order from our warehouses. We'll have it to in 2 days tops most of the time

Back