Where is everyone ?

RedShred

2[H]4U
I pop in to see what the latest and greatest is as I bought a (smoking deal with a Dell) dual core AMD for folding and the place seems remarkably quiet.

2 teams? History has this not such as a good idea. One united front is far better, UD proved this.
Where's the old timers?

I'll set up the new box for F@H until I hear otherwise...

Honestly, since when did HardFolding need a united front? UD never kept HF from smoking out OCAU or OC and leaving them in the dust.

Let's not confuse the way the idea of a 2nd project was handled way back when UD first came on the scene, with the way it COULD have been handled.

Some of the more outspoken folks with a somewhat over developed sense of competition, saw it as a threat to their domination and made it known in no uncertain terms. Of course, time and experience proved this was not the case, and that we can support two projects without tearing ourselves apart, if we wish to. It is all about keeping things on a moderate/civil tone, and not letting the few extreme opinons dictate the direction or the attitude of the many.

There is nothing wrong with being competitive. This team thrives on it, and it is one of the things that brings us all here, instead of somewhere else. But when that same competitive drive brings out our intolerance for others (on our own team for the love of Mike!), and their views, perhaps it has gone too far, and we need to reign it in. Part of the problem was that, most saw us as two distinct teams, instead of one team doing two projects. That is one of the things that needs to change. King has been saying it for years, and yet somehow, when folks talk about a 2nd project, they speak as if anyone participating in anything other than F@H is on a different team. I don't think that is the way it is supposed to be.

Hopefully, in this new era of our DC efforts, we will all learn a little more tolerance, and perhaps think it over before hastily posting something negative towards a fellow [H]orde member. I have some personal experience with this, as I was one of those who faced this kind of treatment back then, and I would not like to see that atmosphere return here, ever.

Anderu, as a hardcore UD'er as yourself, I would expect as much. I dont mean that negatively, as much as it sounds... honestly. You've always been a positive spokesman for UD.

I just read a thread where folks are speaking about a F@H team and organizing it along with a poll on WCG. I know I've been away for awhile, but it appears that [H]'s effort in F@H has collapsed (?).

As for distributed Computing, I'm definately OG, but what the hell is going on... Can I have the cliff notes, or shall I just read through 3 months of posts...

Cliff notes:
1) Things are a lot better around here.
2) We need two teams.
3) We are still the #1 folding team in the world and that won't change.
4) Don't do drugs.

That sums it up.

I'm here Huckleberry :) (sorry I love that scene)

Not going anywhere AND I am also on medication (not court appointed...or at least yet :) )

Still here. Just super busy with other stuff. And out of town a lot for the next several months.

^ Maybe he was metaphorically referring to the team's unified spirit...? :confused:

Alot of us are here... just lurking... the events of the last few weeks were kind of a punch in the gut for many of us... Basically, I think the majority were happy with the way things were, the way things were ran, and happy with the contests, the growing interest,etc... But the rug was pulled out from under that, and old problems surfaced that many were unaware of or (like me), thought that the problem(s) had been solved.... Because of that, many got banned or stepped down or stepped back... And many others, (like me), have stepped back to see where things were heading....

I think it's safe to say that many aren't happy about what has happened recently, be it because of UD closing it's doors (rather suddenly, I might add) or due to bannings or demodding or infighting or which project to choose or whatever... I think that the last few weeks have thrown everyone for a loop, and in turn, the overall morale of the team has suffered.... There is no fix... there is no perfect solution... we all just have to keep doing what we've always done, and things will work out....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Alot of us are here... just lurking... the events of the last few weeks were kind of a punch in the gut for many of us... Basically, I think the majority were happy with the way things were, the way things were ran, and happy with the contests, the growing interest,etc...
Seconded.

There is no fix... there is no perfect solution... we all just have to keep doing what we've always done, and things will work out....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

That's what I did, I installed and started to run another client for the [H]orde. I just get back to work and do the most important thing: not letting my idle cycles go to waste!

Alot of us are here... just lurking... the events of the last few weeks were kind of a punch in the gut for many of us... Basically, I think the majority were happy with the way things were, the way things were ran, and happy with the contests, the growing interest,etc... But the rug was pulled out from under that, and old problems surfaced that many were unaware of or (like me), thought that the problem(s) had been solved.... Because of that, many got banned or stepped down or stepped back... And many others, (like me), have stepped back to see where things were heading....

I think it's safe to say that many aren't happy about what has happened recently, be it because of UD closing it's doors (rather suddenly, I might add) or due to bannings or demodding or infighting or which project to choose or whatever... I think that the last few weeks have thrown everyone for a loop, and in turn, the overall morale of the team has suffered.... There is no fix... there is no perfect solution... we all just have to keep doing what we've always done, and things will work out....

I concur, what really did it for me was when I felt the entire team was treated like a bunch of misbehaving children...but I'll continue to fold and offer my advice and assistance to others.

/waves

My 3 little machines are folding like PCs possessed!

The only solution - by no means perfect - is time. We have a lot of folders who continue to stick it out. It's just morale, in time it will improve - as someone who has worked in the tech industry for over two decades, "gut-punches" happen. You get over it because you have a job to do, and people are counting on you. With F@H it's important to just keep going. This exogenous shock the team has experienced is a temporary malady.

F@H Team 33 never downsizes when they outsource - in fact if there is an Indian call center that wants to run F@H for team 33, I'll let then use my name.

The only solution - by no means perfect - is time. We have a lot of folders who continue to stick it out.
I'm in that group. I'm not particularly disturbed or thrown for a loop, but rather keeping my head down a bit more than normal until things cool down here. Letting the emotions simmer down so we can get back to what we really are here to do.

Hey Red, welcome back! We've been through a lot in the last few years, eh? Didn't you start out folding in the desert with a dust filled Dell? (I hope I'm remembering that correctly) I'm still here chugging along like I always have been. I've learned to stay out of the silly fighting and just keep folding. After the fighting's done, it all comes back to folding!

Hey Red, welcome back! We've been through a lot in the last few years, eh? Didn't you start out folding in the desert with a dust filled Dell? (I hope I'm remembering that correctly) I'm still here chugging along like I always have been. I've learned to stay out of the silly fighting and just keep folding. After the fighting's done, it all comes back to folding!

Yup, I'm still in the desert with dust choked machines. hehe. Good to see you again!!

Back