Where is all this "untapped raw power" PS3?

Simple, Developers are used to the 360 architecture while this is their first stab at programming for the PS3.

From that article, this sums it up:

"If your game starts on Xbox 360 you will have to re-engineer aspects of the game to run properly on PS3. This means additional effort. Some developers have been complaining about this but I don't believe we can solve that. Xbox 360 is a different machine with good, but lower powered hardware in a different architecture. Developers have to view them as two different machines not as a common platform."

is the 360 version native 1080P or locked at 60fps?
not stated in the article.

not that it matters, we all lose when madden football is the comparison.

Simple, Developers are used to the 360 architecture while this is their first stab at programming for the PS3.

From that article, this sums it up:

"If your game starts on Xbox 360 you will have to re-engineer aspects of the game to run properly on PS3. This means additional effort. Some developers have been complaining about this but I don't believe we can solve that. Xbox 360 is a different machine with good, but lower powered hardware in a different architecture. Developers have to view them as two different machines not as a common platform."

That quote is actually from Sony's Playstation blog, so I am not sure how much value I would place on the assertion that the 360 has lower powered hardware. I do agree completely that the PS3 is just as capable as the 360 (and probably more capable in some areas) and that developers are just too lazy to take the time to optimize the games for the platform. With all the innovations that EA comes up with every year for Madden, can you really blame them for not having the time. ;)

That quote is actually from Sony's Playstation blog, so I am not sure how much value I would place on the assertion that the 360 has lower powered hardware. I do agree completely that the PS3 is just as capable as the 360 (and probably more capable in some areas) and that developers are just too lazy to take the time to optimize the games for the platform.

QFT.
I'd add that in addition to the laziness factor (which I guess is debatable), there also is the problem of experience and available knowledge about the Cell architecture so early in its lifespan, and the limiting factors of time and money that it would cost the developers to engineer their code from the ground-up for Cell.

With all the innovations that EA comes up with every year for Madden, can you really blame them for not having the time. ;)
:D

I can't wait for All-Pro 2K8...time to finally give Madden the heave-ho.:cool: Oh and...the PS3 may have more "raw power" (as far as the processor goes) but the 360 actually has the better gpu. Also from what I understand...Sony's multi-core cpu was probably not the best choice for a gaming machine.

the problem i had with those arguments was last gen the ps2 was the more dificult to program for in comparison to the xbox, but multiplatform games (where the ps2 was the lead platform every time) played and looked better on the xbox.

now the xbox in most cases is the lead platform with lesser powered hardware (supposedly) and sony games still are underperforming in comparison. the blame is solely on sony for 1) using a architecture that was different than anything else and 2) for not providing developers with the proper tools and support they need. there was even a quote by a sony official saying that ps3 can do 1080p games because theyve done it already with nba 07, if anything blame the devs. but when the same devs can make more happen on less hardware, i cant believe its the devs fault at that point. Sony's arrogance is what's making the PS3 what it is today.

i think its nothing more than sony marketting wanting people to believe the ps3 is so much more powerful than the 360 when from everything thats been showed so far its not.

Developer laziness, its not that the console can't do it but rather that EA spends most of their time developing the engine for the X360 rather then an engine that is middleware/balanced.

Too say that the PS3 can't handle 60FPS and 1080p is foolish considering Ninja Gaiden, NBA 2007 and NBA 2008 all are capable of it. LAIR supposly is also 1080p...

If you want to see the system's power have a look at some of the in game exclusives that each manufacturer has coming out. Too bad Sony lost a lot of that stuff

QFT...I think though that the PS3 will get exclusive titles again once it has a bigger install base. That is why they lost so many exclusives is because the developers want to have their game on as many consoles available thus increasing profits. I can't say I blame them it is economics 101.

i stopped reading once I came across Madden. Players still play this slop?

Yeah i have no idea why. When i first got my 360 me and my friends were all excited, ready to play gears and dead rising and whatnot, one of my friends cousin was over. All he would talk about is madden and kept trying to get us to go to blockbuster and rent it. cmon! you can play that on ps2! we just got a new system here no need to play the yearly rehash of madden that gets released on all platforms...

the problem i had with those arguments was last gen the ps2 was the more dificult to program for in comparison to the xbox, but multiplatform games (where the ps2 was the lead platform every time) played and looked better on the xbox.

Dude what the hell are you talking about, multiplatform games almost always looked and played better on the xbox.

Isn't Madden one of the top 5 selling games year after year? I think a lot of people still play it.
The game hasn't been good since the 2D days. It's nothing but pass, pass, pass because the defense is so harebrained. The "make the safety come to the line trick" has been in the game for 6-7 years with no fix. You just keep sending your halfback in motion over and over again until the computer automatically brings either or both safeties to the line. That opens up receiver #1 every time. It's a free 25-30 yards on every play. Unless you're controlling both safeties yourself...you can't stop it from happening. It's fun to see those tournament players toggling between the safeties quickly so it won't happen. When they do that - halfback draw gains a few 6 on the ground.

If PS3 owners don't appreciate the 30fps then don't buy it. If you buy it, all you'll get are more 30fsp games. The devs do this because they can get away with it. As long as they keep getting away with it, they'll keep doing it. If you wants 60fps demand it; easy as that.

"We have confirmed the Xbox 360 versions of Madden NFL 08 (August), All-Pro Football 2K8 (July), and NCAA Football 08 (July) will run at 60 frames per second, whereas the PS3 editions are locked at just 30fps."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160709

I really don't mean to start flames or anything, but I think i'm entitled to a opinion. I have the 360, PS3, and the Wii. I love them all, but one thing I can guarantee is that the PS3 is capable of far greater things than the 360. Just the fact that they were released a year apart from each other would be a good hint. The Cell by itself is such a revolutionary processor, that everybody is only saying "it's too hard to program for, etc" is b/c everybody wants to make a quick buck. Nobody wants to step up to the plate and revolutionize. This year, we will see some excellent games that will turn everybody's head. I mean, if you look at PS2 games now, compared to what they were a year after the system was launched, they look amazing. A good example would be Shadow of the Colossus. The PS3 IS a "untapped resource" because nobody wants to "tap" it. lol. I love my 360, and I play it more than my PS3, but just by everything I i've researched into the PS3, and pretty much seeing what's in for the future, Sony's track record, and the addition of Blu-Ray, it's going to be awesome.

Besides, if I understand it correctly, the original post was about Madden. Fuck Madden. ALL football games are the same. If developers were smart (and we diffidently know EA is not one of them), then they would spend some good amount of time on a single Football game, and just release content packs for it. And release a football game maybe every other year. Not only do you not have to buy a better looking version of the game you bought last year, but it'll save developer's money which they can spend on better games. All of this shit is possible with the inclusions of built in hard drives in all consoles (minus the Wii's flash memory).

Fuck Madden.
QFT.

It's ridiculous to base your entire opinion of a console on some cheap ports. It's almost, almost as if some people want to hate said console. But no, of course that would never happen.

I've bought all 3 next generation consoles. Microsoft's has the head start and currently the best games, but the Playstation 3 will end up kicking ass in the end. The games that were developed from the ground up for PS3 are already looking as good as anything on the 360, and if you look at any videos of upcoming games, you can't deny this "untapped raw power."

That said, if you want the best gaming experience, buy all three consoles and a nice computer. :p

I am just a moron i saw that he had written that the ps2 was the "lead" platform and yeah.. im retarded.

18261_w.jpg

Madden 07 for PS3 was nothing short of awful. I seriously think there was a memory leak in the game, because the framerate got progressively worse as I played it (which is something I've NEVER experienced in a console game). Needless to say, I told myself I'm never buying another Madden game again unless EA gets their act together on the PS3 versions...
...looks like I'm going to be skipping on '08.

Are you folks who are saying the PS3 is going to end up kicking ass and being the best with the most games the same people who said the same things about the original xbox?

The thing about the original Xbox and its short comings were the fact it was WAY late to the game and even later getting out dev tools, it was a really good way to get their place in the line of consoles on the market but it didn't take a psychic to tell you it had no chance in hell to lead

Hell if you can take anything from it, it was a way to get a good start on their Xbox Live! content and structure, which anyone can see is going nuts on popularity right now.

The thing about the PS3 is, yea it was late, Sony is still making alot of money off of the PS2, but I don't think they even have good dev tool kits out yet, which would delay alot of their top end games mainly due to poor performance.

Either way, lots of good games coming out for both consoles soon, can't wait to pick up a PS3 (too bad I'm in Europe :( )

I have both systems and so far from i have played there isn't a HUGE difference. But i am sure the PS3 we probably have better graphics in certain games.

Which games?

All Gears of War for one... if you honestly believe thats only running on a single core then your a blind fanboy. Most games released in the last year have been using all the cores, maybe not to their full potential but they all have been multicore. Hell HD-DVD playback on the addon uses all three cores to the max...

All Gears of War for one... if you honestly believe thats only running on a single core then your a blind fanboy. Most games released in the last year have been using all the cores, maybe not to their full potential but they all have been multicore. Hell HD-DVD playback on the addon uses all three cores to the max...

Yes GoW is one but what other ones? (Sorry I guess things get lost over the internet, because we're talking about games - plural - right?) The HD-DVD part is sort of irrelevant (but true), unless you enjoy 'playing' movies and such :D

QFT. They've been using multiple cores for a while, but hardly to their full potential. On the ps3, however, its a completely different architecture. The ps3's cpu is being utilized far less than the 360's. Neither are 100% tapped out, but the ps3 is still lower. The reasons for that are complicated, to be sure, but to say that the same principle applies to the 360 as the ps3 isn't really a fair assessment.

Didnt EA buy the rights to the NFL franchise so only EA can release nfl games? Reason why madden has sucked ass for the past 4-5yrs

Yes GoW is one but what other ones? (Sorry I guess things get lost over the internet, because we're talking about games - plural - right?) The HD-DVD part is sort of irrelevant (but true), unless you enjoy 'playing' movies and such :D

Are you suggesting that the 360's cpu is just as under-utilized as the ps3's?

Sony has the power locked inside the Cell processor because humanity is not ready for it yet. The world as we know it would end if the power of the Cell is fully tapped.

Didnt EA buy the rights to the NFL franchise so only EA can release nfl games? Reason why madden has sucked ass for the past 4-5yrs

NFL sold the rights, EA was only happy to oblige.
that's only one of the many reasons.

Thw PS3 is suffering the same thing the PS2 did, it is difficult to program for so games that truely take advantage of the hardware will come out later. Right now we are seeing the first year of the PS3, were on the Second year of the X360.

The PS2 in its 2nd and 3rd year really started to shine, look at GT3 on the PS2. Hell look at FFX and MGS2. Mind you that MGS2 performed worse on the Xbox because it was coded originally with the PS2 in mind, this is whats going on now with these ports due to them being coded for the X360 originally and then being brought over to the PS3.

The Darkness is a prime example of the developer thinking about both platforms. Both versions are almost identical.

Back