Where is all my water going???

bxmedic

n00b
Just built a new rig and this thing seems to be guzzling down water. It's my first DIY water cooling effort. (had a TT LCS before) Every time I boot the res gets lower and lower and I have refilled it w/ about 50cc three times. Have checked extensively for leaks and have not found any. Have put in about 1.3 liters total so far. I figure it's just filling/ forcing out air gaps in the rads. I was just wondering about how much fluid is needed for this setup?

MCP655> Swiftech MCR320-QP, >Appogee GTZ,> Koolance Vreg block,> Koolance x58 Classified block,> DD Extreme II (2 x 120),> Koolace GTX295 block,> EK 150cc Res. All 1/2"tubing.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

Pics are from leak testing.

if it's not leaking, water is transitioning into the 6th dimension, that's all... I mean this loop is pretty much what a inter-dimensional gate looks like :D

Joking aside, nothing to worry about, if you don't see any leaks, it just means there's still plenty of air trapped inside. You do need to BLEED it completely, and add water until it starts spilling over :D

You want your entire loop to be completely filled with water. Just keep adding water until it can't take any more, than let it cycle for a minute or two and see if you need to add more.

Atlanta.

What is happening is that the trapped air is coming out, also the air dissolved in the fluid you are using is becoming "un-dissolved" as it gets worked by the pump impeller. The tubing also absorbs a tiny bit.

It should stop after about a week.

if it where my system i would have set it up so the fill port to be the highest point in the system.... more pressure tends to push the air out faster.......just be more observant of possible blow out...... and if you don't know what i mean by "blow out" you will know when it happens.......

You will always have some small loss of water - even after you have filled up your system.
This is called permeability (google is your friend)

The hotter environment, long hoses, sharp bends on your hoses, heat generated from the pump is the main things you also should avoid.
I actually always use a fan to blow over the pump - and try to mount the pump on the coldest place in the system (not always possible of course), and I always use adjustable pumps. Higher rotation of the pump means more heat generated - thus increasing water-temperature.

Nice rig u got there :)

I have to add water to mine like every three months or so. Its not alot but it does go down.

Even after a month or two of uptime, I still have little bubbles make their way into my res.

But, as others have stated, the permeability of your hoses can lead to water loss... Although, in this situation, water generally evaporates through the tubing walls - and is not replaced by air, unless you have another pin leak somewhere else. Many times, after a constant year or two uptime, a small vaccuum is created in your loop - I attribute this to evaporation of coolant without any way to displace the pressure differential.

Yep, just bleeding the air out.

So, keep topping this bad boy off.

NOTE: make sure you are topping it off with the balance of glycol to distilled water ratio. Just adding the water will lower your corrosion protection and the lubrication for the D5 Laing pump's ceramic ball on the maglev .

I believe this is a classic case of airpocketing. Do you hear any swishing/bubbly sounds? When you first start your system do you see tiny air bubbles?

If you're able to get your res above the rest of the other components in your loop then your system will bleed very quickly. Right now it seems like both radiators are above your reservoir. From my experience I noticed that the radiator is often the place that I get the most air bubbles. Once I started building my w/c setups with the reservoir on top I noticed that the "dissapearing fluid" problem started going away.

Back