Where do you keep your monster storage server?

Where is your monster storage server?

• Basement

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Living room or other nonsleeping area

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Bedroom

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
Reading this forum, I have noticed that a lot of people are concerned about noise from their servers. Personally, I don't have a problem with noise because my servers sit in the basement and always have. Even when I was in college and living at home (back in the good 'ol Athlon XP days), I always had a little server corner in my parents' basement and never had more than one PC in my bedroom.

So how many of you run your servers in your bedrooms, other living areas, or just in the basement?

My web dev server and my NAS are both under my desk in my office. Really want to build a mATX/ITX box and upgrade to server 2008 to take up even less space, but we'll see.

In the basement in a rack, along with my UPS, switch, router, firewall, IPS, cable modem, etc. All cat6 cable is home-run to the basement, so it doesn't make sense to put it anywhere else.

Garage, FTW. Of course I've gone to the trouble of carpeting the place, so its really just another room of the house.

mine is in my office... which is a bedroom in the house... but a non-sleeping bedroom.

My server was originally in my room, then the guest room for the longest time, but I finally moved it to the basement 2 weeks ago.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

my storage rig is my only computer so I keep it in my bedroom
its not too loud and I cant sleep in a dead silent room so it works well

In the basement, rack mounted, along with all my Cat 5e, telephone, cable TV terminations, UPS, router, switch, satellite receiver, phone and TV distribution hubs, etc etc. Everything is home run to that location, so it didn't make sense to put it anywhere else.

mine is in a spare room in my rack... but who cares. i wanna know more about the underground room...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Repurposed root cellar, perhaps?

I don't know how to describe it. I guess it's a glorified basement. My property has a detached garage, and a tunnel leads to the basement of it. Has it's own ventilation system, bathroom, kitchen, and water pump. It's coldddd there in the winter. The hallway to it leads from the room where my home theater set up is, and we can't hear the din of the fans through the double fire doors, so I'm happy with it.

The house itself is a Cape. The guy who built the house in the 60's built it to last. Plaster walls, slate roof. There's even slate on the garage roof. o_O The only bad part is the plaster makes running wiring nigh impossible :(

I don't know how to describe it. I guess it's a glorified basement. My property has a detached garage, and a tunnel leads to the basement of it. Has it's own ventilation system, bathroom, kitchen, and water pump. It's coldddd there in the winter. The hallway to it leads from the room where my home theater set up is, and we can't hear the din of the fans through the double fire doors, so I'm happy with it.

The house itself is a Cape. The guy who built the house in the 60's built it to last. Plaster walls, slate roof. There's even slate on the garage roof. o_O The only bad part is the plaster makes running wiring nigh impossible :(

Then I guess it used to be a high-end, Cold War era bomb shelter then, huh? :cool:

Then I guess it used to be a high-end, Cold War era bomb shelter then, huh? :cool:

There are a few houses with shelters I've looked at around here too, but the problems with the houses and even the shelters themselves outweighed the bomb shelter's cool-factor. They're definitely quiet and good for storing servers if you find one without water leakage problems.

Mine sits right next to me in my basement office.

I really do need to move it farther away from me.

Office closet for me. Since I live on the Gulf Coast, basements are foreign to me. My office closet is the central point of the house, so it's also the safest room in the house, and where all my wiring is home-run to.

in the basement. its a pentium D 940 that doesnt seem to ramp down the multiplier, so it screams along at 3200mhz 24/7. has 4 harddrives in it, all crammed into an HP mATX mini tower case. it weights about 45lbs, and most likely would overheat in 10min if brought upstairs. it likes it little hole down there though, there is nothing better then having a server that offloads so much crap from your daily pc's its crazy...

I use a PIII 933 as my fileserver. When first got it, I never thought it'd be stuffed with 4TB. It's currently in my bedroom.

In the basement in a rack, along with my UPS, switch, router, firewall, IPS, cable modem, etc. All cat6 cable is home-run to the basement, so it doesn't make sense to put it anywhere else.

In the basement, rack mounted, along with all my Cat 5e, telephone, cable TV terminations, UPS, router, switch, satellite receiver, phone and TV distribution hubs, etc etc. Everything is home run to that location, so it didn't make sense to put it anywhere else.

Exactly the same here...

Back