Where do you buy your computer parts?

rich121

n00b
I already did a "search" but, this search function isn't the best...

Other than NewEgg, Amazon, and Tigerdirect...what are some other well regarded online computer stores?

Rick

Mwave has been running some pretty good deals recently. Zipzoomfly and Ewiz are other solid online retailers.

Zipzoomfly is very solid. I use newegg a lot as well but usually hard drives will come from zipzoomfly with better packaging than from newegg.

buy.com

a good place to see prices all over the country: pricegrabber.com

what my purchases will include:

i7 930 CPU
1366 slot motherboard w/memory
ATI 5870 video card
Intel X25-v SSD drive
WD Caviar Black 640Gb SATA 6
Pioneer Blue-Ray burner
power supply
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I can get most at NewEgg, but they don't have the video card I want and I'm nervous about buying CPU from them, also won't buy Pioneer Blue-ray burner from them as they are not a Pioneer dealer, even though they want you to think they are by calling the burner "OEM".
Rick

Search through slickdeals.com and create alerts for when these parts are posted.

Sure you wont find them at once, but it'll save you $ if you're not in a hurry.

I buy a lot of parts from a lot of different sources. Forums, Fry's, Microcenter, Newegg, Amazon, ZipZoomFly, TigerDirect....

Basically, whatever that has the cheapest price.

I've bought from Amazon Newegg and ZZF. I know Newegg and Amazon have great return policies/customer service, but I have heard some horror stories about ZZF.

Forums most recently, CompUSA a lot for this current system, and Newegg every once in a while and mostly for everything in the past. I also remember when mWave was the best e-tailer.

And I used to go to computer shows when I lived in MD.

For my current primary system, a mixture of retail brick-and-mortar stores. Microcenter for the CPU, mobo and PSU; Fry's for the memory; Busted Buy for much of the rest of that system.

cheap is not always good. the things you buy might come with missing stuff, like boxes, support, warranty, etc.

There's a list of etailers in the sticky.

Has anyone ever used Directron? I never have I'm seeking opinion.

Yup. They've been around for a while. The only thing I don't like is how long it takes to get my stuff, since they're in TX and I'm in CA. I usually order from them if no closer store has what I need or their prices are much lower.

I use Directron and didn't have a very happy experience. Others though had better.

the site i like the most is newegg.com, lots of pictures. and return something is very easy!

Amazon
Tiger Direct
Newegg
Buy.com

My favorite is Amazon because they have the best return policy.

Just be sure to come back here click through an ad if the retailer has one, check the main site too. Bandwidth is not free.

I do my shopping on NewEgg because their web interface is fantastic, but I buy everything at NCIX (unless they don't have it). They will price-match any Canadian web retailer and I can go in to the store and pick up the parts so I don't pay any shipping, though even if you do have to get shipping it's generally a bit cheaper than NewEgg Canada and since they price match anyone you can usually save quite a bit of money. And they're great to deal with.

NCIX.com FTW
PROvantage
Buy
Dell (yes, sometimes they have amazing sales/deals on computer parts there)

and...

Newegg ofc

Newegg
Amazon
Lenovo
TigerDirect
HP
Dell
Buy

Basically any place that is reputable and has them on sale.

I do my shopping on NewEgg because their web interface is fantastic, but I buy everything at NCIX (unless they don't have it). They will price-match any Canadian web retailer and I can go in to the store and pick up the parts so I don't pay any shipping, though even if you do have to get shipping it's generally a bit cheaper than NewEgg Canada and since they price match anyone you can usually save quite a bit of money. And they're great to deal with.

I live in Washington State, not Canada :)

j
Rick

You asked where people buy their stuff, not for recommendations where you should buy yours...

Back