Where did the 25GB go?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
So I bought a new drive a Samsung 840 250GB drive. Formatted it has 232GB which is normal. My C: Drive contains 19GB of data so all the folders tell me. However looking at my drives under "Computer" Local Disk C only has 188 of 232. Sooooo 232 - 19GB = 213. But there is only 188GB left. Where did those 25 extra GB go? System restore is disabled so not GB being saved their.

Could be your pagefile and hibernate files.

Did you count those? Those are usually hidden and are stored directly in C:\

Could be your pagefile and hibernate files.

Did you count those? Those are usually hidden and are stored directly in C:\

There be the answer.

Pagefile and hibernate can take up a fair amount of space depending on how much ram you have and what your pagefile is set to.

You can disable and delete the hibernate stash if you dont use hibernate and get some space back and you can adjust your pagefile manually to lower the amount used.

Yes, disable hibernation unless you know you want to use it; I think (but am not entirely sure) that those using laptops, virtual machines and RAMdisks find it most useful.

As far as the pagefile goes, you shouldn't disable it entirely, but reduce it to the minimum that Windows lets you without a warning; for me on Win7 64bit it was 800MB, this may be a bit different for you. If you've got WinXP just set it to 500MB or so. And you should definitely leave the pagefile on the SSD because SSDs excel at pagefile behavior.

I will try this thanks, Hibernation after reading about it sounds quite pointless.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Disabling hibernation doesnt free up space, you have to open a command prompt and type in a command which then disables and deletes the space that hibernate was taking up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

That link will tell you what to do for win 7 and 8

Just get rid of the page file on your SSD, it causes a lot of unnecessary read/writes, reducing the lifespan of your SSD, and can take up quite a bit of space as you've noticed. Unless you are RAM deprived it is really not necessary to use. I run my Win 7 desktop with 8GB of RAM and no page file, and I've noticed no difference in performance including gaming.

Just get rid of the page file on your SSD, it causes a lot of unnecessary read/writes, reducing the lifespan of your SSD, and can take up quite a bit of space as you've noticed. Unless you are RAM deprived it is really not necessary to use. I run my Win 7 desktop with 8GB of RAM and no page file, and I've noticed no difference in performance including gaming.

Does it? I have had a swap file on intel x25 g2 since that ssd first came out and it stills reports 100% health.

Even if it doesn't cause a lot of writes, SSDs are now cheap enough you do not need to worry about durability as a replacement would be relatively cheap.

I don't know for sure, but yes I've heard SSD lifespan is not as much of a concern any more - but why test that if you don't need to? Page files are completely unnecessary if you have enough memory.

An SSD is the absolute best place to put your pagefile. Let your OS manage it...

Yes, writes reduce the lifespan of a SSD, but I don't agree to move the swap onto a HDD. The pagefile is one of the biggest benefits of a SSD. Just make sure to buy a SSD with enough write cycles compared to how much you write to the drive. And don't let Windows decide you need a uselessly large 19GB swap file. Set the size manually to something reasonably small depending on your workload and how much RAM you have. I've successfully disabled it on some PCs with a LOT of RAM, though supposedly some programs like Photoshop do, or at leased used to, have trouble without a swapfile (regardless of RAM).

Yes, writes reduce the lifespan of a SSD, but I don't agree to move the swap onto a HDD. The pagefile is one of the biggest benefits of a SSD. Just make sure to buy a SSD with enough write cycles compared to how much you write to the drive. And don't let Windows decide you need a uselessly large 19GB swap file. Set the size manually to something reasonably small depending on your workload and how much RAM you have. I've successfully disabled it on some PCs with a LOT of RAM, though supposedly some programs like Photoshop do, or at leased used to, have trouble without a swapfile (regardless of RAM).

He is not saying to move the pagefile to a regular HDD. He is saying to DISABLE the pagefile completely. If you have enough RAM, you don't need a pagefile at all. Sure an SSD is a good place to put a pagefile, but you know what is even faster? Just using your RAM for everything!!

He is not saying to move the pagefile to a regular HDD. He is saying to DISABLE the pagefile completely. If you have enough RAM, you don't need a pagefile at all. Sure an SSD is a good place to put a pagefile, but you know what is even faster? Just using your RAM for everything!!

+1 I haven't used a pagefile in 5 years. The only time it caused a problem was when I loaned half my ram out for two weeks and was playing a game with 30+ IE tabs open.

**One caveat to completely removing a page file is that some programs (ie Photoshop) do not like it when no page file exists.

disabling hibernation freed up 12GB so definitely worth doing.

+1 I haven't used a pagefile in 5 years. The only time it caused a problem was when I loaned half my ram out for two weeks and was playing a game with 30+ IE tabs open.

**One caveat to completely removing a page file is that some programs (ie Photoshop) do not like it when no page file exists.

also when you stream music, i know i'd get BSOD with no pagefile

I use Photoshop CS6 all the time with no pagefile at all, and I have never had a problem. In fact, I have never had a problem with anything not having a pagefile, and I only have 8GB of ram. I regularly run 10 programs at a time, with 30-40 open tabs in firefox, and I have never once used up all my RAM or had any issues with no pagefile. I have definitely noticed an increase in the speed of my system after disabling the pagefile however. This is all on Windows 7 Pro btw.

Back