When will you buy a Quad Core processor???

hmmm.. Q3, I really dont know if I can hold out tell then, though this does look interesting

For the match up with the X38 chipset, which supports 1333MHz FSB, Intel also plans to release Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 running at 1333MHx FSB in the third quarter. Running at 3 GHz, QX6850 features 4MBx2 L2 Cache and 130W TDP. The processor is set at a cost of US$999. At the time QX6850 is released, QX6800 is set at a lowered cost at US$999 as well.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=772180&starttime=0&endtime=0

Very Soon.. a jump from a p4 3.2 northy and 6800GT to a Q6600 and 8800GTX is going to be feel nice!

Then I again ride the obsolescence roller coaster straight down over the next 3 years!

I'm most definitely going quad when I can afford it, probably Q3. Has anybody here had any experience with the x3210 (server version Q6400) vs the Q6600? Or has anyone even tried a x3210 cpu yet?

April 22nd, 2008? ;)

J/k, over the next 4 years I will acquire tens of thousands of dollars in school loans that will likely prevent me from making any significant purchases. :(

Luckily I'll get a sweet laptop from the school in 2 years...
This year's students got top end XPS laptops with 7950GT cards/C2D/2gb ddr-2. :D

haha, "tens"? at the Guildhall?

Underneath the art and level design are the game engine, code, scripting, and custom AI that make it possible to realize the vision for the game. The Software Development specialization prepares students to design, develop, document, and implement software for digital games. Participants complete individual and team assignments to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to produce 2D and 3D game code, including data structures, scripting, AI, and physics programming for digital games. Students gain proficiency using a variety of software development tools.

The master's degree is $42,000 and includes a laptop and software. Please follow this link to access the semester schedule https://guildhall.smu.edu/program/TermCalendar.htm

We are still accepting applications for our term that begins in January if you are interested. Just an FYI :)

Rene' Archambault
Director of Recruitment
The Guildhall at SMU
972/473-3539

When cores become 8 ghz and have 8 cores then I will think about it. But until there is a major advance in cpu's I'll stick with my oc Barton at 62deg C.:eek:

I wouldn't buy any processor for over $200. Don't know if octicores will be out by the time I do my next update or not...

But until there is a major advance in cpu's I'll stick with my oc Barton at 62deg C.:eek:

You & me both are causing global warming with our Barton OC's lol...

I am going quad core any time after the 22nd. I have too much video to re-encode. Plus I am sure I can sell my 6400 pretty easily to soak up a little of the cost of going to the quad core.

I don't think I will see as big of a gain going from a X2 3800+ to a 6400@3ghz in encoding, but I am sure it will make a difference.

I'll be at the Guildhall @ SMU, and they give all entering students pimped out XPS laptops that they get to keep after the 2 year program is finished.

LOL, I'm in Plano, TX and knew it was going to be Guildhall before you even said it. Awesome :D

Well, I was in the same situation last we with dual vs single core that we're in today with dual vs quad. I think it was better to buy the single core like I did because I'm only just now seeing the need for dual core and it's about time to redo the system with a new motherboard+cpu+ram anyways.

Man, I really want a Q6600 now but I can't justify paying $520 when it will be under $270 soon :(

When? I already have. The reason I have one already is because I was able to just drop one into the existing system I already had.

CPU upgrades are so much easier when you don't have to buy new ram or a new motherboard. :cool:

I REALLY want to see how the Q6600s OC before I spring for one...

Unless they hit 3.4 easily, I'm NOT grabbing one.

I'll be buying a Q6600 in Q3 for 3dsmax and Photoshop, unless AMD comes along and says, "hay guyz we have a cheap procesor coming out 2 that can do all that and moar"

mm 3.4ghz
i don't know about that

but atleast on mine is running at 3.1ghz 1.35v ( in bios/window vista showing 1.28-1.3v)

it is stable..
i am thinking about a better heatsink ( using a zelman 9500 now.)
then i may increase the voltage and go up to 3.2-3.4 range..
will see..

but even the Q6600 at stock( or any c2d ) will be faster then thsoe athlon x2 anyway...

I will most likely get mine with the q3 price cuts and the fact that their is an upgrade path is pretty cool

Back