When will we see ATI's refresh? No FUD please.

ebeattie

Limp Gawd
So its certainly been more than 6 months since the Radeon 5XXX launch. Are we likely to see an ATI refresh soon? Or should those of us in the market for a new card just buy whats available today? No FUD please but i expect that to be ignored in 3, 2, 1....... :D

if im not mistaken there was an official announcement saying there would be a refresh in Q3 of this year.. i just cant remember where it was posted at but i think it was in an interview some one did with one of the ATI programers or something..

Wasn't the 2GB card the 'refresh' ?

Also, from a market standpoint I don't think ATI needs a refresh. Each 5 series card holds a pretty specific price point for their performance with the lower-mid range cards being uncontested right now.

Wasn't the 2GB card the 'refresh' ?

Also, from a market standpoint I don't think ATI needs a refresh. Each 5 series card holds a pretty specific price point for their performance with the lower-mid range cards being uncontested right now.

nope the 2GB cards arent the refresh.. my guess is we will see a 5890 and 5990 released sometime in Q3.. maybe a 5790.. i dont know.. we'll just have to wait and see i guess..

Hopefully its gonna be the Southern Isles or whatever which is supposed to be a hybrid of 5xxx series and their true next-gen architecture.
a higher clocked 58xx (5890) would be pretty meh @ that late of a release.

I've been searching information on Southern Islands. Some sites are speculating that there could be a sample shown at Computex (hopefully).

I am personally waiting...mainly to see what kind of specs Crysis 2 will need :).

imagine if it was 30% faster than 5870 (and equivelent for 5850 too) and crossfire was improved another 20%

:cool:

As having owned both ATI and Nvidia cards in the past, I am just going to take a "Wait and See" approach. I kept my 8800 GTX's for 3 years until I went with a GTX 275 to tide me over until I got my 5870's. I usually keep my high end cards for a minimum of 2 years. But I might bite on an updated card if the wow factor is really there.

late september thru november, in time to supply the holiday seasons with new cards.

theres certainly no urgency.

evergreen is wicked lean at 40nm as is, and yields should be excellent by now. little, if any, unit cost savings to be had for AMD in a 40nm refresh and no need to push a refresh unless the competition is burning down their profit margins and they need to up the price/performance equation .. not much happening there for the time being.

right now evergreen is a cash cow for AMD, and then there's that cancelled processes they had been planning to refresh on thing.

if they have the time doing another stepping before volume production couldn't hurt either.

imagine if it was 30% faster than 5870 (and equivelent for 5850 too) and crossfire was improved another 20%

:cool:

would be nice, but it won't be at the same die sizes if they're using the same 40nm process = it ain't gonna happen without costing more $$.

would be nice, but it won't be at the same die sizes if they're using the same 40nm process = it ain't gonna happen without costing more $$.

if they adapet even further to TSMC's 40nm failings in a newer stepping/refresh, then yield rates will improve thus, incleasing profits :D <-- just speculation :p

Because manufacturing process experience seems to be the defining difference between nVidia's and ATi's strategies, right now.

Good to hear that there is SOMETHING in the works. i was definitely planning on getting a 5970 at the end of the month, but I think i may just save up and see when the release dates are supposed to be for the new stuff. I honestly dont mind paying $700 for a 5970; actually think ATI kinda lowballed the MSRP on them. But if there is something new on the horizon thats faster than a 5970, Ill wait. The 8800 GTX in my box has been keeping up, but shes looking forward to retirement. :D

Back