With HDMI you can run 1 cable for audio that carries 8 channels of high resolution PCM audio to a receiver. It's a digital connection too which has several benefits. I know most sound cards today support Coax/Optical digital output, but it's only for 2 channel PCM, or as a pass-through for pre-recorded AC-3 / DTS from DVD's.
I remember Nvidia use to have a chipset that would encode AC-3 on the fly do you could output 5.1 channels digitally, but that's also less than optimal because AC-3 is a lossy compression scheme.
PCI vs PCIe doesn't make a difference, but how about upgrading the digital connection used for output? Sound cards have supported 6 - 8 channels of sound for almost 10 years, but the whole time we've only had a maximum of 2 channels of PCM supported over the digital outputs. I would really like to see soundcard's digital outputs upgraded to support 8 channels of high resolution PCM. HDMI is the de facto industry standard, meaning most new audio gear will support the connection as input... we just need sound card manufactuers to offer the output.
I remember Nvidia use to have a chipset that would encode AC-3 on the fly do you could output 5.1 channels digitally, but that's also less than optimal because AC-3 is a lossy compression scheme.
PCI vs PCIe doesn't make a difference, but how about upgrading the digital connection used for output? Sound cards have supported 6 - 8 channels of sound for almost 10 years, but the whole time we've only had a maximum of 2 channels of PCM supported over the digital outputs. I would really like to see soundcard's digital outputs upgraded to support 8 channels of high resolution PCM. HDMI is the de facto industry standard, meaning most new audio gear will support the connection as input... we just need sound card manufactuers to offer the output.