When will Solid State Drives make it to the PC?(affordably)

HardLiner

Gawd
Joined
Nov 22, 2006
Messages
746
How long until affordable Solid State Drives make it into the PC ? and how much of an improvement will they be over regular hard drives?

When I say affordable I mean ,say a 200Gb for about $250.00 bucks .
 
Call it 2020 for that price range. Assuming no inflation.

Why do you need 200GB of solid-state storage?
 
I recently ordered (2) 6GB XioTech RAM drives, at $11,700 each :eek:

These are a bit different, they are basic DRAM with a laptop HD and small internal batteries. If you lose power or remove the drive it writes the contents from RAM to the laptop drive!

They are capable of 20,000 IOs a sec per Xiotech.
 
A 16 Gig SSD from HyperOsSystems will set me back just under £3,000 if I want to get one.
May get the 8 Gig version as I already have the memory.

So they are getting bigger & cheaper.

Luck ........... :D
 
How long until affordable Solid State Drives make it into the PC ? and how much of an improvement will they be over regular hard drives?

The debate about SSD vs HD goes back a long time. I remember suggesting SSD as a way around the 64k addressing limits of 8bit processors back in the '70s and the professor in the course told me I was nuts - it would be way too expensive (at a time when a 5MB Shugart HD was still a future item that would be something like $5000).

Every time memory chip costs drop, the HD guys come up with something to improve their products. Every time the pundits claim that HD will reach limits, they find a way around them. Memory has always lagged significantly. I have a feeling that the HD guys are going to maintain an edge for quite some time.

IOW, I don't think that SSD will be cheap compared to HD until memory chips are practically given away. While flash memory looks like it's nearly that cheap, it is slow. Fast chips are still pricey.
 
Theres a company with a 120gb 2.5in SSD that is supposed to arive this year. No idea on price, but I would assume it will be consumer level pricing.
 
Theres a company with a 120gb 2.5in SSD that is supposed to arive this year. No idea on price, but I would assume it will be consumer level pricing.

I was reading about that,that's why I asked the question.I was wondering how this 120Gb drive stands up against the average PC hard drive??
 
I was reading about that,that's why I asked the question.I was wondering how this 120Gb drive stands up against the average PC hard drive??

Gigabyte sells a SSD card with no memory for about $150. You can add DDR2 RAM to it. With that info, you can figure out the price.

If that 120GB SSD is fast, it will be $$$$.
 
who needs 320gb? I would be happy with a reasonable priced, say 32gb For the OS and operations. Probably 16gb would be fine too, really. Just load apps on a HD, wanting the SSD just for OS ... that will be sweet when say, under $1500 for 16Gb fast SSD
 
Well, you can buy 1 GB chips pretty cheap, $70 ea.

$150 (I-Ram Card) + 4x70 (4 1gb modules) = $430 per 4 GB x 4 = $1700 for 16 GB of solid state storage.

Im sure you could get discoutns by aggressively pricing it out, especially the RAM.

So $1500 for 16 GB of SSD is here already. Hmmmm, <1ms seek times...

Of course, what Gigabyte shoudl do is make it work with DDR2 for cheap larger modules and make it work with SATA 2. I recall reading the tests of the system and its pretty close to max burst rate on one unit; chaining additional units in a RAID array would be more than SATA I can handle. Shame they seem to ahve stopped development on this product; I really feel they were close to a good, useful product.
 
128gb for £500 mid 2008.

200gb for $250 2010 mabey?

i personally think in about a year, laptop companys will want to be shipping some form of ssd as a standard option, so my advice is buy some shares in sandisk or another ssd producing company.
 
Well, the throughput is the limiting factor on transfer rates, that was the problem with the I-RAM because it just used SATA1. A SATA2 version would have been awesome.

The negligible seek times are what makes SSDs attractive.
 
Half of you guys are talking about continuously powered volatile memory SSD's and half of you are talking about non-volatile flash based SSD's. I'm pretty sure the OP was inquiring about the non-volatile variety.
 
who needs 320gb? I would be happy with a reasonable priced, say 32gb For the OS and operations. Probably 16gb would be fine too, really. Just load apps on a HD, wanting the SSD just for OS ... that will be sweet when say, under $1500 for 16Gb fast SSD

This is funny. What was it... like 20 years ago people were asking "who needs 1mb anyway!" :eek:

I can't wait for SSD. I'm still stoked to see that I have a microsd card, the size of my pinky nail, that holds 2GB!
 
Back
Top