Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by LaAaZ, Feb 15, 2018.
I want cash and hookers...
So I am seeing Gigabyte and EVGA cards the 1080 for $530 and the 1070ti for $470. Both are 30 bucks over suggested retail. Do you think prices will come down any more? If the 1100 series makes it out this year. I can't imagine that they will sell at this price. Also I might be able to get $125 or $150 for my 960.
I am thinking hard about it. Upgrade now or wait?
I would definitely wait. Prices are only going down. If you must have one now, wait until the next 10-20% off deal that eBay has, or pick up something like this with 20% off using an AMEX credit card:
Right now I can get a MSI GTX 1080 DUKE for 495. on Amazon. That is $5 below MSRP.
Should I buy it or wait?
Read some more and think I can wait a but longer.
there was a 1080 yesterday for 450. Just watch slickdeals and /r/buildapcsales
you can do better than MSRP.
looks like its still up
sold by EVGA official ebay.
Thanks. I will keep looking. That deal is gone (now selling for 569). I want a card badly, don't need one - my 960 is still working well and I play everything at 1920 x 1080. Sounds like we will hear info about the 1180's soon. So I think I can hold out a bit longer.
What do you think is a fair price to ask for my 960?
Considering that I paid little more than half that for mine (new), it's a crappy deal - especially since it is unfit for etherium or any other sort of mining. (April of 2018 - which I pointed out here on [H].) Worse, the RTX 2050 will launch with similar - if not identical - pricing - and this year. RTX 2060 may well be not much above - if not below - that $275 price tag you just referred to, and thus be a better buy - even if you are NOT upgrading. In my case, I am well aware that I have to replace everything, being in Dead Socket Turf; therefore, it is best that I do that before purchasing a "technical" upgrade (which either RTX 2050 OR RTX 2060 would be), so start working on that first.
We can agree that NVIDIA has set forward a strategy that maximizes profits.
I suspect that the high prices of 20XX are due to two factors:
1) overstock of 10XX. It makes sense to delay the release of the new cards at a high jacked price. This will motivate consumers with a budget to favor the current generation (at least until the 2070 is released in October) and the most enthusiastic ones will pay the asked price anyway for the 2080 ti .
2) early production level cannot keep up with the demand with is compounded due to mining
I predict that take that the price of the 20XX serie will decrease after current generation runs out and production level has ramped up. It is hard to tell but early 2019 seems possible.
I do not see data mining having a long-term significant impact on pricing given that NVIDIA will adjust production level to meet the demand. One caveat is that beefed up pricing will remain as long as the economics of mining allow for a substantial premium over the gaming crowd... but this cannot go on forever.
Conclusion.. a bit of patience will be rewarded financially.
All I know is if we see firesale 1080tis, I'm talking like $350 or less a card, I'm buying a dozen.
Won't happen for a long time. Nvidia is keeping price high on new cards to clear out stock older Pascal series.
He proabably talking about the used market.
You can get a new evga 1080 for ~$440 right now and used ones going for about $100 less than that (~$340). 1070 TIs used are going for a little over $300. I'm sitting on a 970 but was hoping to upgrade to the 20xx, but after seeing the flop im looking to get a 10xx. Anyone have advice on how to proceed? Buy now cuz this is the cheapest they'll be for a while? Wait a week or so for a sale from a retailer clearing 10xx stock? Wait a month until current 10xx owners sell off their old card to switch to the 20xx?
I guess i'm sorta worried that if 20xx have disappointing benchmarks that the demand and pricing on the 10xx might go up again.
The new RTX cards are based an absolutely massive dies. They can't be cheap to make, even as Quadro rejects. I sort of expect that NVIDIA won't release anything below the RTX 2070, except as a rebadge until 7nm. Sorry, but I don't expect prices to come down more than they are currently. There may be the odd sale, but that's it.
Finally, I feel like the timing is changing on the video cards. If the 2080's have great benchmarks, the 1080's will be cheap. I will wait a bit and see how this plays out over the next few weeks. Maybe I'll pick up a 1070ti and wait for the smaller die (3080's or whatever Nvidia may call them). Or if the prices are great maybe I'll snag a 1080ti. If the benchmarks are fantastic maybe I'll pickup a 2070 near Christmas.
We know one undeniable fact.
There are loads of 1080's on the shelves.
At some point, there is gonna be a fire sale.
Price drop soon please.
From monitoring Newegg and Slickdeals it appears AMD card prices are coming down significantly. nVidia, not so much.
Right now nVidia prices are holding fast, or maybe even creeping up a bit. Demand may be up after the 2080/Ti performance leaks (legitimate or not). Could it be part of a coordinated strategy to clear stock? Conspiracy theorists seem to think so...
If I needed a card today and was planning to get the most bang for my buck to be ready for an upgrade from 1080p 60Hz to something like 1440p, or entry level 4k (but not considering RT), then the 1080Ti would be my solid choice. There are some good used deals out there.