When will AMD announce the price drops?

wow that is nuts...for some reason i thought there was a 512k version and 1mb version...they are selling the 512k version for $819 WTF WTF WTF WTF

I guess because the 5000+ isn't out everywhere yet? I see the ETA for it at MonarchPC is July 14th.

got haggis? said:
wow that is nuts...for some reason i thought there was a 512k version and 1mb version...they are selling the 512k version for $819 WTF WTF WTF WTF

I guess because the 5000+ isn't out everywhere yet? I see the ETA for it at MonarchPC is July 14th.
Chock it up to poor supply on the 5000+, it's well over MSRP right now. There will be a 5200+ but it will come after the X2 price drops.

I'm still deciding whether to jump to an AM-2 or wait for AM-3. Anyone know the release date for the AM-3? I just know that It supports DDR3

Has AMD announced any of thsi officialy becuase my brother is going to get a computer soon but is now waiting till the 24th for the price drops, are they going to happen?

-(Xyphox)- said:
sweet, guess i'll wait another month to build another pc :D
thats exactly what i thought. but now that i'm thinking about it more, i'm contemplating a core 2...

not overly expensive for the introductory model of Core2 but if you have the money to change from a AMD mobo then go for it

From what I've seen it's both S939 and AM2, but only the 512k Cache models, which annoys the piss out of me because I really wanted one of the 1MB cache models

I wish they did the price drop now :( i need that new x3800x2 so i can throw my 3500 in to a second pc

I don't see that the FX prices are dropping at all. At least according to the links I've seen so far.

And maybe I'm a bit greedy, but the price drops weren't quite as much as I was expecting considering the performance to price of the Conroe.

I read a very interesting article over at Hardware Secrets some time ago (Link) that reviewed the X2 5000+ and found out that on the AM2 platform, any processor that uses a odd CPU multiplier (ie. 11x, 13x) has funky memory bus #'s:

The problem is when the CPU clock multiplier is an odd number. For an AM2 CPU with a clock multiplier of 13x, theoretically its memory bus divider would be of 6.5. Since the AMD64 memory bus doesn’t work with “broken” dividers, it is rounded up to the next higher number, seven in this case. So while this CPU will work at 2.6 GHz (200 MHz x 13), its memory bus will work at 371 MHz (742 MHz DDR) and not at 400 MHz (800 MHz DDR), making the CPU to not achieve the maximum bandwidth the DDR2 memory can provide.

This is the case of Athlon 64 X2 5000+. As it works internally at 2.6 GHz multiplying its HTT clock by 13x, it can access memory only up to 742 MHz and not 800 MHz.

I read something earlier today that said AMD would announce the price drops as soon as Conroe was released. So, I expect the drops more toward the end of this month. Probably not at the same time the NDA expires.

visaris said:
I read something earlier today that said AMD would announce the price drops as soon as Conroe was released. So, I expect the drops more toward the end of this month. Probably not at the same time the NDA expires.

Yeah, I heard the same, and toms is not really to be taken seriously anyways. Call it wishfull thinking.

Ravynmagi said:
I don't see that the FX prices are dropping at all. At least according to the links I've seen so far.

And maybe I'm a bit greedy, but the price drops weren't quite as much as I was expecting considering the performance to price of the Conroe.

The FX CPUs must come down in price. A E6700 outperforms the top end FX-62 it in every area. The E6700 retails for £411, a FX-62 retails for £690. On a performance to cost ratio hopefully the FX-62 will retail for around £350 max. If it doesn't who will buy a FX? AMD must be cursing the Conroe's very existence.

Viper87227 said:
Yeah, I heard the same, and toms is not really to be taken seriously anyways. Call it wishfull thinking.

Whoops quoted the wrong quote

Isn't a Pentium D 930 on par with an X2 3800+? The 930 D is already $178, so even without Conroe Intel it seems to have the price/performance crown.

spicey said:
The FX CPUs must come down in price. A E6700 outperforms the top end FX-62 it in every area. The E6700 retails for £411, a FX-62 retails for £690. On a performance to cost ratio hopefully the FX-62 will retail for around £350 max. If it doesn't who will buy a FX? AMD must be cursing the Conroe's very existence.
No this is not how it works, there is no "must" the flagship of AMD will remain exactly where they are, if they do reduce the FX-62 down to 500US or so, they would basically confirm that they are inferior. This way they can at least wing it with the people not "in the know".

Look at the Extreme Edition of Intel, they are always 999US, irregardless of how they perform in comparison to the competition.

luke51087 said:
up until the 3800x2 drops to 160 or less
Yes by the time the X2 3800+ drops to 169US, people stop exagerating the price difference and assuming it will go lower "somehow" then Intel will have the Pentium D 945 for 163US. So they will be pretty damn competitive.

coldpower27 said:
Yes by the time the X2 3800+ drops to 169US, people stop exagerating the price difference and assuming it will go lower "somehow" then Intel will have the Pentium D 945 for 163US. So they will be pretty damn competitive.

sorry i was 9 dollars off :eek:

coldpower27 said:
No this is not how it works, there is no "must" the flagship of AMD will remain exactly where they are, if they do reduce the FX-62 down to 500US or so, they would basically confirm that they are inferior. This way they can at least wing it with the people not "in the know".

I would hope people throwing $1000 at a CPU would do 10 minutes of homework. That and I seriously doubt a non-enthusiast will spend $1000.00 on a CPU to begin with.

The FX has to drop in price significantly. Otherwise AMD simply won't sell any.

I'm not a fan boy from either side, I don't take sides. I currently run a 3500+ @ 2.6. If I can't buy a FX-57 for $150-180US, my next purchase will be a Conroe. I hope AMD realizes they'll go nowhere with the current pricing.

squishy said:
I would hope people throwing $1000 at a CPU would do 10 minutes of homework. That and I seriously doubt a non-enthusiast will spend $1000.00 on a CPU to begin with.

The FX has to drop in price significantly. Otherwise AMD simply won't sell any.

I'm not a fan boy from either side, I don't take sides. I currently run a 3500+ @ 2.6. If I can't buy a FX-57 for $150-180US, my next purchase will be a Conroe. I hope AMD realizes they'll go nowhere with the current pricing.
Don't be so sure man, there is always the power of loyalty to consider. People bought eh Pentium EE 955/965 despite AMD having an advantage.

AMD to me doesn't have any redeeming qualities, with their Windsor FX vs Conroe XE, but that won't stop some people buying their processors.

Back in the day AMD priced their Athlon XP 3200+ above what the Pentium 4 2.8C costed which was it's equivalent. AMD just can't afford to have a price/performance ratio everywhere across the lineup. They will have it at certain points, but overall the price/performance leader will very likely be Intel.

If AMD can have at least 1 point where they have a good price/performance ratio like the Socket 939/AM2 X2 3800+ vs Pentium D 945 then they will do ok.

Yeah im for one gonna buy that 3800 and oc it 200 mhz so it runs the same single core speed as my 3500

I've been waiting for conroe for the amd price drops as well. I built my main rig a year and a half ago with s939 3000+ in anticipation of a future upgrade to something much more powerful for less $$.

i'm excited to get some of these much faster X2s for <$200.

i planned on the same thing for my htpc, however with the 3200 in there, it's going to be fine for a while. maybe i can splurge a bit more now for the main/gaming rig. :D

as for the L2 cache issue (512 vs 1mb) what's the big deal? is there significant real application difference for the typical home pc user? "typical" being someone who games, surfs, and basically isn't a home recording studio or video editor?

zv

zero_vertical said:
I've been waiting for conroe for the amd price drops as well. I built my main rig a year and a half ago with s939 3000+ in anticipation of a future upgrade to something much more powerful for less $$.

i'm excited to get some of these much faster X2s for <$200.

i planned on the same thing for my htpc, however with the 3200 in there, it's going to be fine for a while. maybe i can splurge a bit more now for the main/gaming rig. :D

as for the L2 cache issue (512 vs 1mb) what's the big deal? is there significant real application difference for the typical home pc user? "typical" being someone who games, surfs, and basically isn't a home recording studio or video editor?

zv
It's just the issue of "bigger is better" people don't like having the feeling of a "crippled product". Considering the pricing structure it won't matter.

A 4600+ will be become cheaper then the 4000+. So performance will be higher overall on the 2x512KB parts irregardless.

Back