When was the last time you use a multi GPU setup?

Well I played some COD4 and some Age of Conan with my single Geforce GTX 280 OC. I was so impressed that I bought another. Now I have two in SLI. :cool:

My friends think I have an addiction. :D

Yes my friend you do as do we all.:D
 
I love how people post "I have no microstutter", and provide no FACTS to back the up.
Don't post that you DON'T have the flaw inherent to the architechture, with no proof.

I will bet most people that claim not to have this issue will be VERY surpised by a simple FRAPS run...
And change from "I don't have this problem" to "I don't notice this problem" real fast :rolleyes:
 
last multi gpu setup- fall 06: crossfire 1950- work great most of the time. I didn't have any problem except with company of hero. sometime it would crash.
 
I love how people post "I have no microstutter", and provide no FACTS to back the up.
Don't post that you DON'T have the flaw inherent to the architechture, with no proof.

I will bet most people that claim not to have this issue will be VERY surpised by a simple FRAPS run...
And change from "I don't have this problem" to "I don't notice this problem" real fast :rolleyes:

And I love how people post "multi GPU setup will experience microstutter" eventhough they never tried multi GPU setup before.
 
Yeah, now everyone has to PROVE they *don't* have a problem. Seems a bit backwards. The simple fact is some people notice it, some don't. And this would be on the SAME system.
 
I use it permanently on in my system, If i don't see this micro stutter crap then i dont have it.

Maybe its people and their crappy eyes
 
And I love how people post "multi GPU setup will experience microstutter" eventhough they never tried multi GPU setup before.

And I love people that post crap based on stupid assumptions.
If you claim that I have never owned (or run) a SLI rig you are so, so wrong.
Anymore FUD you like to add? :rolleyes:
 
Yeah, now everyone has to PROVE they *don't* have a problem. Seems a bit backwards. The simple fact is some people notice it, some don't. And this would be on the SAME system.

There is a difference to claiming that you don't have microstutter(argument based on ignorance) to claiming that it's dosn't bother you or that you don't see it.
 
There is a difference to claiming that you don't have microstutter(argument based on ignorance) to claiming that it's dosn't bother you or that you don't see it.

Well it's definitely an issue and needs to be addressed, but it has yet to be proven that ALL sli systems have it. For better or worse, it would seem only some sli users can detect it - even when it occurs.
 
There is not enough information at this point to make the gigantic leap and state "microstutter effects all sli systems".
 
There is a difference to claiming that you don't have microstutter(argument based on ignorance) to claiming that it's dosn't bother you or that you don't see it.

Can't you read the thread title and the first post? So you have used a multi GPU setup and experience the microstutter? Why don't you just post your experience here telling us your setup and game instead of attacking people who are sharing their experience. :rolleyes:
 
I haven't seen any on my 9800GX2 (1680x1050) or 7900GTX SLI before it (1280x1024 and 1680x1050). My last two iterations of my main rig (2 out of 3) have been multi-GPU actually. I had worse problems with Vista/SLI/X-Fi/4GB RAM than I have had with just "multi-GPU."
 
Can't you read the thread title and the first post? So you have used a multi GPU setup and experience the microstutter? Why don't you just post your experience here telling us your setup and game instead of attacking people who are sharing their experience. :rolleyes:


Don't play holy when you assume with you ass just to fall flat on your face...lame "comeback". :rolleyes:

To "humor" you, last time I had the sad honor of fiddling with SLI was 2-3months ago.

Besides, from what I gather, Brent_Justice and Dan_D have very good portion of hands on experince, even with microstutter...hell the rumour mill even points to AMD RE-DESIGNING crossfire to try and fight this issue...so yeah...it's just a fluke, impacting almost NIL :rolleyes:
 
I haven't seen any on my 9800GX2 (1680x1050) or 7900GTX SLI before it (1280x1024 and 1680x1050). My last two iterations of my main rig (2 out of 3) have been multi-GPU actually. I had worse problems with Vista/SLI/X-Fi/4GB RAM than I have had with just "multi-GPU."

Did you messure it?
You know our eyes makes poor tools, hence why we MEASURE stuff like FPS...or FPS-times and not just realy on anecdotal evidence.
 
I love people who's barely been around the scene thinking they know everything already.
 
I love people who's barely been around the scene thinking they know everything already.

I love people that think regestration time actually means anything :D
I have see people who just registered here post WAY more intellegent post full with information and knowlegde that people that have been here for +5 years...:rolleyes:
 
And I love people that post crap based on stupid assumptions.
If you claim that I have never owned (or run) a SLI rig you are so, so wrong.
Anymore FUD you like to add? :rolleyes:

Um, your posts would qualify as FUD. Not theirs.
 
I have seen it on my 8800GT SLI system occasionally, but usually when I'm running non-WHQL certified drivers. Gone back to certified ones and haven't had any issues.

Haven't seen it on my 7800GTX SLI system at work.

 
I've seen stuttering on Unreal 2004 when I had 7800GTX's in sli, but now with 8800GTX's no stuttering at all in any games . The only issue I had but since solved is Grid. Enabling SLI would make the game lag like hell, but then using nhancer to force the Colin Mcrea profile works wonderfully.
 
Who gives a shit if it's there if you don't notice it. I've never noticed it with SLI'd 7800GT's, 7900GS's, FX 4500's, crossfired X1950XTX's or HD2900XT's. Proof I don't have it, screw that, you prove it's causeing a problem in my gaming experience.
 
Lately there are more and more people talking about microstuttering with multi GPU solution however some of them actually never used a multi GPU setup before.

I would really appreciate it if some of you who have tried and used the multi GPU solution before to share your experience here.

I'm amazed how long it's been around and that I haven't heard about it until recently. It seems a lot of people are in this boat. What ATI and Nvidia need to do is address the issue in their drivers by giving us an option not to use AFR. But then the precious (synthetic benchmark) numbers will come crashing down. :rolleyes:

I've had issues. Especially with AoC. Sometimes it's minor annyoance, with AoC it is problematic. Locks up for 15-30 seconds then recovers like nothign ever happened.

Same problem but single card setup. Hoping to get my hands on 2 4850s soon. One is already in the mail on its way. :D
 
I think the clash of the GX2 -vs- the 280 forced the microstutter conversations to start.

Allot of us were on a Step Up, and were deciding between the two cards, as to which one we would rather have.

Microstuttering, and smoothness are both being talked about allot now... ;)

My GX2 was the first SLI or Crossfire experience I ever had...

(Internal SLI if that counts.)
 
My old BFG 7800 GTX OC SLI setup was great in the begining. SLI AA was truely a sight to be seen. But then the lockups started then the performance hit started then the microstuttering. E-mailed EA and Blizzard about why the game I am currently playing exhibiting these issues? Response, "We don't support SLI, contact Nvidia for SLI support". After that day, I never went back to SLI. I know SLI has a future (hell I bought another SLI motherboard). It's just the issues don't get resolved quickly or developers don't want to invest more R&D to cater towards dual GPUs. I know there are people with no microstuttering or SLI lockups or performance hits. But I am not one of them, and I am not going back to SLI unless I read nothing but postive reviews from SLI users in the future.
 
You mean the last time I physically used a multi GPU or the last multi setup I had.
Last time I used one was yesterday.
The setup is a Voodoo 5 5500 that my roomate uses for his toon on EQ.
Can't stop the voodoo baby!!
 
just got my first multi gpu setup running a couple days ago, 8800GTS320's, so far so good, i dont do much gaming, but my UT3 experience went WAY up right off the bat, 1440x900 maxed out with no lag....gotta love it
 
You bought two new GTS 320's or you already had one, and bought a 2nd?
I dunno, seems weird to be buying those now, especially for SLi.
 
I have tri sli 8800gtx's and previous I had sli 7900gtx. The only microstutter I have had was with gears of war. I have played in the region of 50+ games on those 2 systems with no stutter probs.
however GoW was unplayable.

I trust sli enough that i have 2 gtx280's arriving monday.
I would also use crossfire if they where as good as NV cards, like maybe the 4870x2
 
I've seen stuttering on Unreal 2004 when I had 7800GTX's in sli, but now with 8800GTX's no stuttering at all in any games . The only issue I had but since solved is Grid. Enabling SLI would make the game lag like hell, but then using nhancer to force the Colin Mcrea profile works wonderfully.
I have seen it on my 8800GT SLI system occasionally, but usually when I'm running non-WHQL certified drivers. Gone back to certified ones and haven't had any issues.

Haven't seen it on my 7800GTX SLI system at work.
These posts are extremely interesting to me. They're coming from pepole who have noticed the problem before, but don't now. Would lead me to believe that this problem is strongly tied to driver quirks, and therefore far more avoidable than the FUD currently makes it seem.
 
This is my second SLI rig and have yet to run into microstutter, at least I haven't felt it in a noticable way. It might help that I use VSync for just about everything, but the games I play (LOTRO, STALKER, Tomb Raider: Legend, HL2, TF2, FEAR) exhibit no issues for me. And I'm fairly sensitive to framerate spikes and dips, one of the reasons I'm always looking for as close to a contstant 60fps as I can get.
 
You bought two new GTS 320's or you already had one, and bought a 2nd?
I dunno, seems weird to be buying those now, especially for SLi.

i got one of the Zotac cards when they were in stock at fxvideocards.com for $99 - sale of 8600GT($50) = $50 for one, the other came from an RMA, recently noticed everyone who was RMA'ing a 7900GT to EVGA was getting 8800GTS 320's, remembered i had one in my closet for over a year that quit working, sent it in and got another 8800GTS 320....so essentially, if you dont count the 7900GT purchase years ago....(which i got when they had the EVGA NF41/7800GT combos for dirt cheap at tigerdirect.com and did a step up to the 7900GT almost immediately....)

i basically got two 8800GTS 320's for $50 plus a little shipping....then picked up a Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU the other day for $59 (they are $89 now) and got a SLI bridge from a fellow [H] member for $9....

i know, long story, but nonetheless, i have spent very very little to go from almost nothing to a fairly decent system, thats how/why:D
 
Dang, so far it seems the majority of responses say they haven't noticed any micro stutter or only a little in a game or two. I might have to get me 2x 4850s. :)
 
this thread is the first time i have ever heard of microstutter....you guys make it sound common....maybe it has nothing to do with SLI?
 
Moved from my GX2 back to my 9800gtx, things are just smoother. The GX2 is on it way to BFG for stepup to Gtx280.

I have used a variety of SLI setups and my only complaint would be the additional heat , especialy in the case of my GX2. I could go maybe two hours in COD4 before stuttering began due to 104 c load temps. I used the GX2 for 4 hours total before putting my 9800gtx back in Could be a QC issue and they did not apply thermal compound, pads at the factory correctly but i did not have the card long enough to check.
 
Did you messure it?
You know our eyes makes poor tools, hence why we MEASURE stuff like FPS...or FPS-times and not just realy on anecdotal evidence.

No, but since you're so inclined to believe this "microstutter" is a problem for everyone (as evidenced by your holier-than-thou attitude in earlier posts), when you really can't make that assertion (unless you work for NVIDIA or AMD), I won't bother to humor your arrogant demand. If I see a framerate problem, I will do something about it. If my card has "microstutter" and I don't notice, give me a reason to care beyond your desire to validate your point. A problem is only a problem to me if it actually screws up my gameplay. If my framerates are jumping around and I don't perceive a problem with the way the game is running, to put it bluntly, I don't give a s--t.

If there's a hardware problem, that's not my concern, that's the engineer's job. Not mine.
 
This is my second SLI rig and have yet to run into microstutter, at least I haven't felt it in a noticable way. It might help that I use VSync for just about everything, but the games I play (LOTRO, STALKER, Tomb Raider: Legend, HL2, TF2, FEAR) exhibit no issues for me. And I'm fairly sensitive to framerate spikes and dips, one of the reasons I'm always looking for as close to a contstant 60fps as I can get.

I am the same way. I play different games but I try to keep the FPS high enough so that I don't notice the drops or framerate fluctuations as much.

I've had the following SLI configurations:

6800GT SLI
7800GTX 256MB SLI
7900GTX SLI
8800GTX SLI
8800GTX 3-Way SLI
9800GX2 Quad-SLI
Geforce GTX 280 SLI -Current

On the ATI side I've had the following Crossfire configurations:

X1950XTX Crossfire
X1950Pro Crossfire

I've also setup and used SLI on a number of review articles where the boards were SLI or Crossfire compatible.

The only time I've noticed the "microstuttering" that everyone keeps bringing up is on the 9800GX2 Quad-SLI configuration. It was far less noticable on a single 9800GX2. Even then I only really experienced the problem on Age of Conan which has shitty SLI support to begin with. Otherwise the card was everything I expected it to be at the time it was released. (Aside from dissappointing AA and AF performance.)
 
I had 7800GT SLI for a few months on my current system and the biggest problem was when SLI was supposedly activated, it was still only running single GPU. I had to run 3DMark benchmark to make sure is it is running in SLI everytime I booted up or made any changes to video setting. Pain in the ass. Later, I just upgraded to 8800 Ultra, which is faster than 7800GT SLI anyway.

Yesterday, someone mentioned on Youtube that NCIX is having one day in store sale on Galaxy 9800GX2 for $250 after $100 rebate at Vancouver store. It only had 1 in stock so I dropped by around 2:30pm. Just happened, the guy right in front of me picked that up. We talked a bit, and he is using 7950GT still, so I guess he needed more than I do.

Since I have been playing Age of Conan lately, and people are complaining about 9800GX2 with AoC. Maybe it is a bliss that I didn't get that cheap 9800GX2. Just wait for 280 price to drop or wait for the 280 die shrink to 55nm. Perhaps, I might even consider 4870 1GB if my frame rate can increase by 15-20 running 1920x1200 4xAA.
 
Back
Top