• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

When to stop Overclocking?

Joined
Aug 11, 2004
Messages
19
I have a XFX 6800 GT that is overclocked to 450/1.2 (water cooled) and is completely stable.

I haven’t done any vmod or anything like that. I’ve been running it at load with multiple different apps over 2hours with no artifacts, nothing.

Idle temp is 43°C and load is 49°C…never once has it gone above 50°.

Does this seem right? Shouldn’t I be running into stability problems because of voltage?
I’m a little scared to go higher
 
hvaccontrols said:
I have a XFX 6800 GT that is overclocked to 450/1.2 (water cooled) and is completely stable.

I haven’t done any vmod or anything like that. I’ve been running it at load with multiple different apps over 2hours with no artifacts, nothing.

Idle temp is 43°C and load is 49°C…never once has it gone above 50°.

Does this seem right? Shouldn’t I be running into stability problems because of voltage?
I’m a little scared to go higher

You should check to make sure your performance is still increasing with the clocks, as the GTs tend to get voltage starved the higher they go.
 
workingnonstop said:
You should check to make sure your performance is still increasing with the clocks, as the GTs tend to get voltage starved the higher they go.

Here’s my results:

425/1.2
AquaMark3 – 62127
3Dmark03 – 12547

450/1.2
AquaMark3 – 63391
3Dmark03 – 12987

So yeah, my performance continues to go up. The only problem I see is that I only have a P4 3.0…not OCed. I think it would become my bottleneck real quick if I go higher.
 
You should seriously consider getting a new motherboard, since the 3.0C has a high oc potential, and will greatly increase your scores/times/fps'.

If your happy with your overclock, and see no need to go further, then don't. But if you feel you need some more juice, try and see how far it'll take ya.
 
well i have an ultra BFG and its air cooled. Ive gotten up to 472/1.22 without any artifacts or anything. it does have 2 power connectors too tho which probably makes a difference. I idle at about 49c i have no idea where it goes after that since when your in a game you cant see it. i tried keeping teh nvidia temp thing in the background but it looks like it closes when i exit a gamebefore i can see it.

if i go any further i do start to see artifacts in certain places but nothing too serious. Im thinking this is probably the memory and not the core though. im waiting for my new power supply to come in before i try to go any further but ill keep you peeps posted.
 
There are two types of artifacts:

White/red "snow" or flashing dots - this is usually a sign that your core has been pushed too far.

Flickering triangles / textures - this is usually a sign that your memory has been pushed too far.

Hope that helps you :)
 
Whenever the smoke pouring out of the case gets so thick it sets off your fire alarm. Those damn things are loud and annoying. :mad:
 
Back
Top