• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

When should we expect to see...

Dextar

Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
584
So I've been stuck in a dilemma, I have a pretty nice gaming PC but just before the summer I upgraded to one of the 27" 2560x1440 monitors and my 680 struggles to keep up with all games on max settings so I have to turn them down but I like to have all the bells and whistles on. So I've been thinking about building a new PC, giving mine to my wife and hers can become the family PC (My daughter is just entering 1st grade so I'd like to have a PC I can keep learning games and locked down from adult content). The problem I'm running into is the current hardware out really isn't much better from what I have in my gaming PC sans the video card, and even that is still a good card, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth it for the time being to just buy the desk and such for the family PC and setup the laptop for the kids to use and wait for the new hardware to launch.

Supposedly next year we should be seeing new Intel processors, new Nvidia graphics cards and even DDR4 in desktops. Any idea when we should be seeing them in 2014?

I know this is going to stir up some people and say, "You should never wait on tech" but it's not an URGENT need so if waiting six months would increase performance significantly then it'd be worth it.
 
Supposedly next year we should be seeing new Intel processors, new Nvidia graphics cards and even DDR4 in desktops. Any idea when we should be seeing them in 2014?
In the case of the new Intel CPUs, don't expect big gains from those as the next mainstream Intel CPU series will just be a simple refresh of current Haswell CPUs. In other words, just slightly higher clocked (a extra 200Mhz to 300Mhz give or take) Haswells. Those won't come out till the 2nd half of 2014. So not worth waiting for in that case.

Nor would there be any support for DDR4 RAM. Intel is planning on switching over to DDR4 RAM with the release of their Skylake CPUs. Those are supposedly due out in 2015.

As for video cards, solid info about those usually don't come out till around 1-2 months before the actual release of those GPUs.
 
In the case of the new Intel CPUs, don't expect big gains from those as the next mainstream Intel CPU series will just be a simple refresh of current Haswell CPUs...

Since there's only one dominant player in the desktop CPU market, we can expect innovation at a snail's pace to continue. Intel is a generation ahead of AMD so there's no push to increase the lead. The good thing is it takes longer for current systems to become obsolete.
 
Well we're still waiting for software to catch up in the mainstream market. So the snails pace of CPU growth isn't a big issue unless you're doing nothing but video, 3D, or audio editing/rendering. You are right that it takes longer for older systems to become obsolete: I have a few C2D based PCs that still working just fine as psuedo-HTPCs.
 
Nor would there be any support for DDR4 RAM. Intel is planning on switching over to DDR4 RAM with the release of their Skylake CPUs. Those are supposedly due out in 2015.
Haswell-E and Haswell Xeons are supposed to bring DDR4 support and higher core counts sometime in 2014.

The extreme platform isn't that much more expensive than the mainstream platform. I don't see the Haswell refresh being a big deal, but 8-core Haswell-E would be cool.
 
Last edited:
Haswell-E and Haswell Xeons are supposed to bring DDR4 support and higher core counts sometime in 2014.

Huh, thought that was just a rumor. I stand corrected.

Though don't think we'll be recommending Haswell-E or Haswell Xeons for a gaming PC ;)
 
Because it's a bit overkill for all but the most hardcore of the hardcore of gamers?

That depends. If you're planning on playing at resolutions higher than 1080p and/or you're pushing multiple GPU's the extreme platform with a six-core CPU makes sense. It's definitely a niche, but it's not ultra-hardcore. Lots of people have multimonitor eyefinity/surround setups. Socket 2011 also gives you 40 PCI-E lanes.

If the leaked Ivy Bridge E pricing is correct in a month or two you could buy a quad core i7-4820k and typical socket 2011 motherboard for the same price as a Haswell i7 4770k/comparable motherboard. The Haswell chip offers a negligible performance improvement and reduced power consumption while the IB-E chip will presumably overclock further, support quad-channel RAM, and officially support DDRIII 1866. The 6-core 4930k at $555 looks really tempting, too.
 
Last edited:
I was looking at moving to the 4930k and getting a quad channel Dominator Platinum set with two 840 Pro in a raid0 setup. At least that's what I'd build my new PC with, would help my streaming online and power through basically anything I throw at it.
 
That depends. If you're planning on playing at resolutions higher than 1080p and/or you're pushing multiple GPU's the extreme platform with a six-core CPU makes sense. It's definitely a niche, but it's not ultra-hardcore. Lots of people have multimonitor eyefinity/surround setups. Socket 2011 also gives you 40 PCI-E lanes.
Yes it is a niche but a really small niche. I generally don't recommend the socket 2011 route for a gaming setup unless it's going to be a tri-SLI/CFX setup with 3 or more monitors as thats when it's really cost-effective. But for a single (or two) monitor SLI/CFX setup? Socket 2011 stil is a bit much.
If the leaked Ivy Bridge E pricing is correct in a month or two you could buy a quad core i7-4820k and typical socket 2011 motherboard for the same price as a Haswell i7 4770k/comparable motherboard..
Hmm..yes and no. To me, it seems utterly stupid to get socket 2011 motherboards that only have 4 DIMMs. That's negating the main pro of going socket 2011 in the first place. To get a solid socket 2011 motherboard with 8 DIMMs, you're looking at $220 at a minimum. I can get a solid overclocking socket LGA 1150 mobo for $150.
The Haswell chip offers a negligible performance improvement and reduced power consumption while the IB-E chip will presumably overclock further, support quad-channel RAM, and officially support DDRIII 1866. The 6-core 4930k at $555 looks really tempting, too.
I haven't seen any data showing that quad-channel RAM will actually provide a noticeable performance increase in real world games. Same for DDR3 1866. So those two features don't exactly scream out "BUY ME" yet.
 
Yes it is a niche but a really small niche. I generally don't recommend the socket 2011 route for a gaming setup unless it's going to be a tri-SLI/CFX setup with 3 or more monitors as thats when it's really cost-effective. But for a single (or two) monitor SLI/CFX setup? Socket 2011 stil is a bit much.

Hmm..yes and no. To me, it seems utterly stupid to get socket 2011 motherboards that only have 4 DIMMs. That's negating the main pro of going socket 2011 in the first place. To get a solid socket 2011 motherboard with 8 DIMMs, you're looking at $220 at a minimum. I can get a solid overclocking socket LGA 1150 mobo for $150.

It's not utterly stupid, a lot of people don't need more than 32gb of ram, hell most don't even need more than 16gb so if you buy a 2011 board with 8 slots and don't populate all of them you're just wasting space. A lot of the people I know who have the 2011 use it for the extra cores so they can dedicate them do doing other tasks (streaming is my prime example) which can't be obtained on a 1150 board.
 
It's not utterly stupid, a lot of people don't need more than 32gb of ram, hell most don't even need more than 16gb so if you buy a 2011 board with 8 slots and don't populate all of them you're just wasting space. A lot of the people I know who have the 2011 use it for the extra cores so they can dedicate them do doing other tasks (streaming is my prime example) which can't be obtained on a 1150 board.
I understand that many people don't need more than 16GB of RAM. However, to me the situation is similar to the decision whether to buy a motorcycle or car. Buying a socket 2011 mobo is akin to buying a car but with all of its doors ripped off or the trunk space. Or a 4 door sedan but with the rear seats removed. Sure the car, even in its door and trunk-less state, still has advantages over a motorcycle, but you're still negating the big advantages of a car over a motorcycle.
 
I understand that many people don't need more than 16GB of RAM. However, to me the situation is similar to the decision whether to buy a motorcycle or car. Buying a socket 2011 mobo is akin to buying a car but with all of its doors ripped off or the trunk space. Or a 4 door sedan but with the rear seats removed. Sure the car, even in its door and trunk-less state, still has advantages over a motorcycle, but you're still negating the big advantages of a car over a motorcycle.

That is a terrible analogy.
 
Back
Top