When does software deactivate after cloning a drive?

allen5055

[H]ard|Gawd
I cloned a SSD. I then put the clone and the original in two separate computers. I expected the software on one to deactivate. I had to reactivate windows on one, but then it remained activated on both computers. Ditto for malwarebytes, microsoft office. It's been activated on both computers for 2 weeks now.

Will it stay activated? They're in the same building right now so they probably have the same internet IP address. If I separate them will one computer become deactivated?

"Will it stay activated? They're in the same building right now so they probably have the same internet IP address. If I separate them will one computer become deactivated"

if its activated now, it will be activated
No, they probably don't have the same IP address
Why would they become deactivated if you take one away?

Office might have auto activated without you having to do anything, malwarebytes? I didn't know that required activation?

It doesn't check in every so often to see if a duplicate key is in use. Once it's activated, you're good.

It's one way that people install a single license on multiple PC's. If they need to, they call the Microsoft line and say they 'reinstalled'. Happens all the time. Not legit from a licensing standpoint, but it does work.

Back