When does Multiplayer no longer become fun?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
When you have Russians who have the map figured out to a science and
your paralyzed =)
Just got done with Duke Nukem Forever not a English speaking person in there....

I know this is the old and crotchety response, but playing online with people I don't know is almost never fun. I much prefer playing with friends, whether it's just a few doing co-op, or get a big group together and LAN. About the only time I play on pub servers is for the practice to hone my skills and become a better player. It's exhilarating, frustrating, and painful all at the same time, but mostly I do it to become a better player when learning a new game.

Last edited:
Even though I found it intriguing I just never found it fun. Too old perhaps?

Battlefield 4 you have more variety in terrain a lot of different stuff can happen with different approaches depending on game modes...

I really like playing Infantry team death match the best for BF4 the other modes are impossible depending on your team =) I can see the frustration being assaulted on a physical level =)

I like it when playing with close friends, but I rarely like playing with randoms unless it's every man for himself. Anything team-based that my close friends didn't buy is a mode I'll never touch.

A couple of things:

a) Assholes that screw around, grief, camp, and just generally fuck up the game for everyone

b) Kids in games like CS that do nothing but play CS all day, every day and just rape everyone

On the same topic, I recently picked up a 4-pack of Guns of Icarus and gifted them to some close friends...that has been a lot of fun. You are still playing against other people, but it's still co-op on your own ship, and when it's all your friends it's pretty great. Likewise, there is not a whole lot the other team can do to grief you.

The only bad thing is that most matches are 2 ships vs 2 ships, so if you have a ship on your team that sucks and the other team is coordinated, you will get destroyed.

I will say that high ping griefers in bf4 have certainly made me turn the game off plenty. Hopefully that will be changing soon.

I have more fun in MMORPGS then shooters that is for sure but then you have
MMORPG grind =) Then you have the Griefer from Korea that is throwing snowballs at me at RaiderZ for no reason in the newbie level until I died.....his excuse was he was bored....
First person shooters are kinda bad cause your always hunting for stuff to kill... Then you spawn behind a rock with about Two three people camping the rock from a screen away and all you hear are sniper bullets.

Freemium games with unbalanced weapons/classes.

And anytime I'm new with no experience playing against heavily-experienced people.

Griefers, etc. don't really ruin it for me.

World of Tanks is fun most every time unless you have just absolute noobs in higher tier matches.

Other than that, unless you can play a multiplayer game full time it won't be fun because those who put in the most time will simply be significantly better than you are due to knowing the game mechanics, maps, stats, combos, etc. etc.

Try Chess IRL, fun every time as well. ;)

when a game turns f2p or just are, just removes the fee you have to pay if you get banned for cheating

It's never fun. If there's no engaging narrative or music score, which practically all MP games are devoid of, there's no purpose.

I think a better question to ask would be "when is multiplayer fun?"

My answer: .038% of the time.

When some 15yr old kid tells you to shut up when you try to tell him some better tactics, "Show your worth before giving orders....", uhh, well dude, that's what I'm trying....

"GO AWAY !!!!!"

*kicked from server*

Never again when you have a full time job, wife and kids. This old man can’t keep up with the kids who play 8 hrs a day.

When you suck.
I suck at all multiplayer games because I just do not have time to get any better.
I used to be very good at HLDM but in the end I couldn't keep up with the insane skillz of the majority of foul mouthed 13 year old idgits.

Never again when you have a full time job, wife and kids. This old man can’t keep up with the kids who play 8 hrs a day.

I know the feeling, I miss those days :(

I feel like Youtube videos are what gaming has turned into for me

When shooters turned to 15 person kill them all sausage fest.

I like One versus one when it comes to shooters, which is why pretty much only play RTS multiplayer.

Multiplayer stops being fun for me right around 1:3 KD ratio. At that point I just can't take it anymore and give up before suffering a another couple hundred deaths trying to learn maps :eek:

I can handle myself pretty well (average) in Halo and sometimes in BF games. In CoD, CS, or anything that is very twitchy, I get annihilated.

In Diablo 3 I have fun all the time. As long as people aren't bitching at each other (really rare in D3) I am fine with it.

I say its no fun when you dont let it be. I typically only play MP (BF4 currently). I dont have a lot of time to play games, so I limit it to one or two so that I am halfway proficient (well, I like to think I am). I am always on a pub and on the rare occasion I will join or be joined by old clan mates and tear things up. Those are the best times, but even solo I can have a decent time.

Sure there are a ton of factors, griefers, strength of team, network issues, you name it. Part of it becomes what state of mind I am in when I get on. Some times are conducive to an enjoyable gaming session, others are more of a rage fest. I just walk away when that happens. I think this threads question could be replaced by anything, like a mad-lib.

When does __________ no longer become fun?
Going to the supermarket? Driving? Working in an office? You name it. Everywhere you go there are greifers, a-holes, and the like (fewer lag issues though...). Choose to enjoy it, or let it get to you. Clearly, some days are harder than others and you may not face these things in a SP environment, but the thrill of doing battle with a sentient being is my preference.

Going to the supermarket? Driving? Working in an office? You name it. Everywhere you go there are greifers, a-holes, and the like (fewer lag issues though...). Choose to enjoy it, or let it get to you.

I dunno, I would say I encounter these douches online at about a 10:1 ratio as I do in real life...if not more. Guess it just depends on how often you get out and about. :p

The problem is anonymity...other than in a car or over the phone, in real life you are not anonymous (and even in those cases, not always).

Last edited:
Back