When did Newegg start doing this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

Hold for will call is not available per shippers request? I work nights, so the ONLY way for me to get packages is to pick them up from the shipping center, as I leave for work around 2-3 and UPS never makes it to my place before 6PM.

WHAT?!

They are charging a FEE to have it held at a UPS location?!
That makes no sense. UPS trucks already make the stops at the retail locations, so effectively you'd be saving UPS money by not going to your house.
If anything, they should be giving a $1-2 discount to be held for pickup

I just tried putting something in my cart and it doesn't show those options. Where did you see those delivery options, OP?

I think they may just be charging a fee if you want the package delivered to a RETAIL ups location, (like the UPS Store).
I imagine you can still call UPS and have it held for pickup at no additional charge at their regular hub.

WHAT?!

That makes no sense. UPS trucks already make the stops at the retail locations, so effectively you'd be saving UPS money by not going to your house.

I just tried putting something in my cart and it doesn't show those options. Where did you see those delivery options, OP?

I think they may just be charging a fee if you want the package delivered to a RETAIL ups location, (like the UPS Store).
I imagine you can still call UPS and have it held for pickup at no additional charge at their regular hub.

But not when the truck was already out for delivery and returned the package to the trucks home. That means it now needs to make a trip out to a different location and drop the package off there.

UPS charges for delivery intercepts. The only way they won't is if you choose will call which some companies don't like to allow because of potential fraud. If they weren't doing it before, they were probably eating the costs.

I once tried to have a package held at the distribution hub, and UPS would not hold it there until at least 1 delivery attempt was made.

Extra charges kinda make sense for "re-routing" a package to be delivered to a retail UPS store location instead of the hub. I don't think this applies to having your package held at the local delivery hub.

Are you an UPS MyChoice member? Because those options look like UPS MyChoice options to me.

Are you an UPS MyChoice member? Because those options look like UPS MyChoice options to me.

Yes, I am.

Also, I always have packages held at the main center and pick up something almost every other day from them, I never have it sent to a retail location as they are all just as far away and cost extra. FedEx however has a 24hour location just down the street and they do not charge extra for sending it to a retail location, which is awesome for me working nights.

I just found it very odd that Newegg would request that the package not be available for hold for will call. Most of my shopping is at Amazon, but every now and again I order from Newegg still and this is the first time I have seen this, maybe it has something to do with ShopRunner?

Another note....UPS guy left it at my door when I got home the other night. Kind of scary as it was a $230 item in a box that has "Newegg" all over it and most people today know that means electronics, and I live in an apartment. While I have never had anything stolen...I still don't trust people.

Can you ship stuff to your work address? This is what I do now...

Can you ship stuff to your work address? This is what I do now...

I really don't want them opening up one of my blowup dolls without knowing. :D

It is a option I guess, I really like to keep work and personal apart though. I don't think they would mind, it is just odd that Newegg did this and had the person not left it I am not sure I would have been able to receive the package.

WHAT?!

Those UPS Store locations are independently owned and operated. Thus it's the owners of those stores charging to have them stored there until they're picked up.

Those UPS Store locations are independently owned and operated. Thus it's the owners of those stores charging to have them stored there until they're picked up.

This was my thought as well, not sure how FedEx stores are owned though.

I really don't want them opening up one of my blowup dolls without knowing. :D

It is a option I guess, I really like to keep work and personal apart though. I don't think they would mind, it is just odd that Newegg did this and had the person not left it I am not sure I would have been able to receive the package.

I don't think it's really legal for your employer to open up packages addressed to you. I do this and have had no issues, when I come in to work at 4pm my package is usually sitting on my desk or with the other mail....

WHAT?!

Makes plenty of sense really. For starters many of those UPS stores are franchises so you're dropping a package and adding work to someone else's company. It's an extra step, sure they make the stop anyway but now that guy in the store has to hang on to it and handle the tracking requirements etc for the package. This isn't free.

Yes, I am.

Also, I always have packages held at the main center and pick up something almost every other day from them, I never have it sent to a retail location as they are all just as far away and cost extra. FedEx however has a 24hour location just down the street and they do not charge extra for sending it to a retail location, which is awesome for me working nights.

I just found it very odd that Newegg would request that the package not be available for hold for will call. Most of my shopping is at Amazon, but every now and again I order from Newegg still and this is the first time I have seen this, maybe it has something to do with ShopRunner?

Another note....UPS guy left it at my door when I got home the other night. Kind of scary as it was a $230 item in a box that has "Newegg" all over it and most people today know that means electronics, and I live in an apartment. While I have never had anything stolen...I still don't trust people.

This is something that certain distributors have set up with UPS. Newegg proper always allows you to set a hold for will call. I always do this, as well and I hated UPS with a passion until MyChoice came along. Now I've begun to enjoy my weekly trips to the distro hub. Recently I ordered an x-rite i1display Pro from Newegg but I noticed the package came from a distributor I did not recognize in FL. They would not allow me to have the package held. Provantage similar. Amazon Marketplace similar issue.

WHAT?!

*UPS* charges a fee for MyChoice members to opt to have a package held at a RETAIL UPS store. You can have a will call hold at the distribution center for Free. None of this has anything to do with Newegg. NE is really working on getting their crap together, and having these options for intercepting packages at all is convenient. They are also now allowing Premier members like myself to print out UPS return shipping labels for free through the website without any explanation needed. I think Newegg and UPS are doing it in the bathroom together.

Last edited:
There's an asterisk next to the 5.00 for the "Deliver to a UPS Retail Location". What does that asterisk lead to?

There's an asterisk next to the 5.00 for the "Deliver to a UPS Retail Location". What does that asterisk lead to?

It more or less says that it's $5 only for locations in the same area that the package was originally sent to.

Makes plenty of sense really. For starters many of those UPS stores are franchises so you're dropping a package and adding work to someone else's company. It's an extra step, sure they make the stop anyway but now that guy in the store has to hang on to it and handle the tracking requirements etc for the package. This isn't free.

My local UPS store (yes privately owned and uses a name other than UPS store) charges you a $1 if you bring in pre-paid packages that need picked up because they don't get any of the revenue for storing your package on the floor in the corner. It is really BS since it is where the pile all the other boxes up and doesn't cost them extra. They don't even scan it in. The delivery driver does when he picks up. I would just use one of the convenient drop boxes if the package would fit inside. Kinda sucks when you are doing an RMA that had shipping paid for you and then you still have to shell out the $1 to drop it off. I normally have them ship my packages when I send UPS, but that is crap to charge for something you don't actually manage or even warrant.

My local package store (they handle UPS, FedEx, and some others) does not charge to drop items off for shipping. They will hold packages without charging as well, though sometimes the shipping companies add a charge (I assume a percentage goes to the site) for doing so. The local store also has the option of renting a 'mailbox' from them for a seemingly reasonable rate, but I do not know if this bypasses any fees imposed by the shipping company (I would think it would since you are effectively now listing the store as your address, with their 'mailbox' number).

UPS tends to just leave boxes at my door when I am not home, unless a signature is required, which can then be a little more difficult. I have had them hold the package at the distribution hub and picked it up there before, at which time they had me provide ID and sign for it. They did not charge anything extra for that, but it has also been quite a while since I had to do that.

When you are in a rural area, I don't think most people are worried about the packages being left on their steps or porch. I certainly understand apprehension in an urban area though. When I lived in the city, I would request that the UPS/FedEx/DHL delivery driver leave the package on my back steps, since there was a fenced-in yard and less prying eyes back there. Your mileage may vary, as they say...

I'm convinced that on any given day, there are any number of companies willing to separate you from your money...by any means.
Remember not so long ago when companies got paid for performing a service or selling a product?
Today, they're coming up with all kinds of unbelievable ways to dig into your pocket.

Last edited:
Deliver to work. Would people really open mail that was addressed to you? If so, I would find a new place to work if possible.

I had my 60lb supermicro delivered to my work.

What you see there is simply the My Choice menu.
If you belong to the UPS My Choice (free BTW) you have all sorts of options available for deliveries, either initially or if they missed you the first time.

I have re-routed a number of packages in the last year or so.....costs 5 dollars if the package is en route....pretty cheap to make sure you get what you ordered, safely delivered.

I like the alerts and also the fact you can direct the guy where to put the packages, and release packages that may require signature....especially if no one is home.

Deliver to work. Would people really open mail that was addressed to you? If so, I would find a new place to work if possible.

Some companies to not allow personal packages to be delivered due to liability reasons. Just depends on where you work.

I don't work in a normal office environment, I work at an industrial shop, while I do work in the office and am part of management, we don't often get normal shipments, most that come from UPS are small parts etc for the tool room which our shipping and receiving guy takes care of, and I really doubt with how fast paced everything is for him that he takes time to read who it is addressed to when nothing else other than parts ever comes in.

Dammit, now they are blocking hold for will call on all the shipments?

Edit: CSR has confirmed they have done away with this option... she says it's "temporary" (sounds permanent to me) due to some "security issues". I pointed out that the reason for getting the hold for will call in the first place was for "security". I've started to order from Amazon more and more, though I tend to order from their marketplace partners more than from Amazon proper. Cancelled my z97 preorder. Think the honeymoon is over.

Last edited:
I get everything shipped to work... I go out to lunch and come back with a box on my desk.. it's like Christmas :D

Dammit, now they are blocking hold for will call on all the shipments?

Seems like it, I ordered a few more things from them and each one was the same, I was already buying most things from Amazon, now it will be pretty much everything.

I don't work in a normal office environment, I work at an industrial shop, while I do work in the office and am part of management, we don't often get normal shipments, most that come from UPS are small parts etc for the tool room which our shipping and receiving guy takes care of, and I really doubt with how fast paced everything is for him that he takes time to read who it is addressed to when nothing else other than parts ever comes in.

I still like and use newegg on occasion but I have to agree. Amazon CS is hands down superior to newegg in every way imaginable - amazon will never hassle you or charge you an RMA for returns (for items sold by amazon LLC). Generally speaking, they will even cross ship a replacement at no additional cost with shipping on their dime.

I really do love amazon. Now their selection isn't as good as newegg, and I ignore the 3rd party sellers. For the items I can't get on amazon, newegg is alright. But for an item that I may potentially need to return for RMA (such as a monitor -- i'm very picky about perfect monitors) I will absolutely never buy such an item from newegg. It's just not worth the potential hassle. Even most GPUs at newegg are not eligible for refund - note that many 290X and GTX 780 GPUs have a "replacement only" return policy. F that.

This doesn't have anything to do with the will call situation per se, but I very much agree with the sentiment that newegg's CS is slowly going down hill while amazon's CS has set the bar for everyone to follow IMO. CS wise, amazon LLC sold items cannot be beat.

Back