When are 4TB internal drives expected?

Right now. Buy the Hitachi or Seagate and pull the drive out of the enclosure. :)

External drives that are released first, have lower quality and lower warranty period. That is the reason internal ones, arrive later.

I heard.

External drives that are released first, have lower quality and lower warranty period. That is the reason internal ones, arrive later.

I heard.

You mean that, when they arrive, the "consumer" internal HDD will have;
- Different Platters
- Different Read/Write heads
- different bearings
- different arms
- different magnets

If any of the above really are different, I'd sure like to know which.

I would not do this for the simple fact that you are likely to loose your 3 year warranty.

Was gonna get some 3TB drives til' I stumbled across this... Now for patience until the price drops.

I gave up waiting for a price drop on 3tb drives due to 4tb drives and just bought 2tb drive, was hoping that they would have come out with 2 platter 2tb drives by now.

where are these 4tb drives by the way, they aren't on newegg yet (4TB GoFlex Desk drive)

The STAC4000100 is not on Newegg but it's on Amazon already for $226.93.
It's 5 x 800GB platters, better wait for the ones with 1TB platters if you plan to use them internally.
Seagate said back in May they would have them mid-year but this is not happening yet.

As for the Barracuda XT drives, if it's the same thing as for the 3TB drives last year, it might take some months for the 4TB capacity to make its way to internal drives.

Hitachi 4TB G-Technology drives will be on sale starting next month for some specific storage solutions.

I gave up waiting for a price drop on 3tb drives due to 4tb drives and just bought 2tb drive, was hoping that they would have come out with 2 platter 2tb drives by now.

Why would you think the price on 3TB drives would suddenly drop just because 4TB is announced and not even widely available yet? It's never been that way with HDD's. Not to mention 3TB drives have been on par with 2TB drives in terms of GB/$ for a while now and there's no longer a premium for the larger size.

Look up supply and demand.

Last edited:
I heard.

I really doubt that this is the case.
The lower warranty IMHO id due to the different distribution channel where these external HDs are mainly sold and where the "extended warranty" and other value added crap is the major money maker...

Available and "worth it" are two different things, and its definitely not worth it yet IMO.

I just purchased a Hitachi 3TB drive for $80, and the few available 4TB drives are nowhere near that $/gb yet. There is nothing wrong with removing a USB drive from its case to use internally, just be sure to hit it with a hairdrier for a bit first and then slowly peel with some tweezers. If it fails, big deal, throw it back in the case to RMA.

There's no Hitachi 3TB drive for less than $130, unless on sale, used, stolen or open box, and even then, it probably wouldn't be $80. And you would be able to find 4TB drives in that category in the same discounted price anyway.
The 4TB GoFlex is definitely more expensive than a $130 Hitachi Deskstar, but you should compare it to the Ultrastar instead, as it is basically a Barracuda XT. And if you need big storage, the bigger capacity makes it much worthier than a mere 3TB drive. But I agree, the 4TB drives are barely on the market and there's not even internal drives yet, so let's wait a few months. Still, these are top of the line products, so I don't expect prices to come down much before next year.

@silk186 You're wrong, the 3TB drives prices have come down quite a bit, from $210-220 for the first 3TB GoFlex last year to $150 now. The 4TB GoFlex are just $7 more expensive than the 3TB were a year ago, and they now come in USB 3.0 so they are actually much cheaper than the first 3TB drives with the separate USB 3.0 kit.

Pulling the drives out of the enclosure may not be the best idea...they are liable to fail that way.

Well, the warranty is liable to fail, but not the drive. ;)

On my desktop, I'm using a 500GB Seagate portable-class HDD which I pulled out of a faulty GoFlex enclosure, and it's been going strong for the better part of 4 months now, almost 24/7 usage.

I think you heard wrong.
Most external enclosures come with desktop/portable-class drives, normally in the 5400RPM range, but they are the exact same drives.

External drives probably carry a 1 year warranty due to the fact that they are more prone to be damaged by impacts while powered on.
Some of the WD Element 2TB enclosures came with WD 2TB Black Drives in them.

Can you share where did you buy 3TB for $80?
Hitachi 3TB 6.0 Gb/s 7200rpm drive $79.99 shipped, but went OOS. Was on Slickdeals, but shows that prices are dipping crazy low for 3TB drives now.
There's no Hitachi 3TB drive for less than $130, unless on sale, used, stolen or open box, and even then, it probably wouldn't be $80.
If a long time member tells you they just purchased it, and you tell them they didn't, you're essentially calling them a liar to their face.... not cool.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/59190

If a long time member tells you they just purchased it, and you tell them they didn't, you're essentially calling them a liar to their face.... not cool.
I never said he didn't purchase one, but that there is none at this price unless on sale. Read again.
It looks like these are Hitachi's early USB 2.0 drives, probably some old stock that remained after the USB 3.0 drives replaced them. Not a problem if you plan to strip and use them internally.

Im waiting for these also ... first I was going to get 2 2tb ones then thought about the 3's but I need a new mb to use em so figured I wont be upgrading for 1-3 months so can wait ... so might as well wait for the 4tb ones ...
Im just wondering what to put on 2 of those lol ... ya I got 2.5 tbs of errr stuff to throw on em right off the bat but after that itll take me a bit ... which I like :)

Chimel,

You fucked up. Apologize, say you were wrong, and it goes away. We all mistakes.

I never said he didn't purchase one, but that there is none at this price unless on sale. Read again.
It looks like these are Hitachi's early USB 2.0 drives, probably some old stock that remained after the USB 3.0 drives replaced them. Not a problem if you plan to strip and use them internally.

Um, yeah you did. Just be a man and say you were wrong, not a big deal. ;)

"Omar75 n00bie, 1 Day"

Elaborated. :D

I've had no issues pulling drives out of enclosures. I've done that many times and put different drives back in them.

Dude, the factory enclosure wraps the drive product in a magical field of protection

duh

@Ducman69 For what it's worth, I never doubted you bought your HDD at $80 at the time, my comment was not even directed at you but about the marketplace for a current model. And I said it "probably wouldn't be $80," which is hardly accusing someone of lying. I didn't have any information about the model and condition of the HDD even if I wanted to do so. Sorry if I was not clear enough about that.

There is just no current $130 model discounted by $50 in any deal. In any case, the right [H] thing to do would have been to share this 3TB deal in this forum, not casually mentioning it in a 4TB post.

The 4TB GoFlex is definitely more expensive than a $130 Hitachi Deskstar, but you should compare it to the Ultrastar instead, as it is basically a Barracuda XT.

The only things Ultrastar has over Deskstar are: longer better warranty, optional SAS support, different firmware.

Without those three, they're the exact same damn drive made in the same factory using the same process with the same components. If you want to compare to Ultrastar, grab Constellation ES, not Barracuda XT. Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 will give Barracude XT a serious slap in performance and will mop the floor with it when it comes to value.

Was gonna get some 3TB drives til' I stumbled across this... Now for patience until the price drops.

Using history as the indicator, cost per GB won't be inline with smaller drives for at least 6+ months. By that time it will be the same deal all over again with the talk of new larger/better drives right around the corner.

Grab what you need when you need it. There's always better stuff coming out. And that's a good thing.

Back