Tactlesss

Limp Gawd
So a while back I got a bad case of motherboard envy and bought a refurbished one. I wanted to get a new (refurbished) one because I thought that saw the writing on the wall for the AM4 platform and I didn't know if my current motherboard could handle a newer CPU. In the process of swapping everything out I wrecked the current CPU anyways. I ended up making the enormous leap from the 3700x to the 5800x.
However in the process of fixing the previous mistake I seemed to have erased a memory of the fact that I had to use the secondary PCIe x16 slot in order to get video out.

Meandering story succinct.
I'm using the second x16 slot because I don't get a signal out of the first one.
My GPU is PCIe 3.0 x16.
The primary slot is a no go.
Most importantly am I reading this correctly?
Am I stuck living the PCIe gen3 x4 life until I get my hands on a gen4 card?

Attachments

• fine print.jpg
    fine print.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
It should work fine in the first slot, have you tried a different port on the card, sometimes DP or HDMI wont work the first time you boot but will work fine after that.

It should work fine in the first slot, have you tried a different port on the card, sometimes DP or HDMI wont work the first time you boot but will work fine after that.
I've tried that before and with another card.
The only thing that I haven't messed with is the SATA and M2 ports.

I feel like I left out a crucial detail...
Oh.
The motherboard is an asus am4 tuf gaming x570-plus (wi-fi)
The white VGA led lights up if I plug anything into the PCIe slot closest to the CPU.

Are you using a riser cable? If not, sounds like that first PCIe slot is bad. Hope you can get a refund/replacement.

If you decide to keep the motherboard, the other PCIe slot running at 4x will be fine for most applications/games if screen resolution is 1080p. Personally, I've noticed sluggishness when using a 4K monitor/res with a 4x slot. If that's you, time to dump that motherboard.

IMHO, the 3rd gen vs 4th gen won't make a hell of beans when you're stuck at 4x.

Back