• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What's your FPS keyboard setup?

doanster

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
139
WASD? ESDF? What keys do you use for crouch, melee, reload...etc etc etc??
 
Buy a Z-Board and youll never have to worry about that stuff again. I love mine.
www.ZBoard.com :D :D

The left hand panel has a custom line up, just for shooters. There is also a standard keyboard insert too. IMO dont spend the money on the "special" keyboards unless you are really into one specific game.
 
magoo said:
Buy a Z-Board and youll never have to worry about that stuff again. I love mine.
www.ZBoard.com :D :D

The left hand panel has a custom line up, just for shooters. There is also a standard keyboard insert too. IMO dont spend the money on the "special" keyboards unless you are really into one specific game.

What I need is a cheap or free solution haha
 
WSAD

E= primary gun
Q= Secondary gun
R= Melee
F= Grenade
Z= Use
Shift= jump
Space= crouch
 
One of the better Quakeworld players posted his config in 1997(thresh maybe?) and I've been using it since:

Right Mouse : move forward
Left Mouse: fire
SDF : Strafe Left, Back, Strafe Right
C: Crouch
Space: Jump

It takes a while to get used to the right mouse as forward, but if you think about it the two most important functions should be on the mouse, forward and shoot.

For DoD, I just added R: reload, Z: prone, A: sprint

-Aeurix
 
CS config --
Cal-Main... seasons 6-10
(im retired... for now)

wasd - forward-left-backward-right
r - reload
q - ventrillo
f -ingame
e - use
12345 -- weapons
lctrl - crouch
lshift - walk
g - drop weapon
right mouse- altfire
left mouse - fire
mouse wheel down - jump
space - jump
f2 - cl_dynamiccrosshair 0
f3 - cl_dynamiccrosshair 1
f4 - stopsound

numpad - --buyscript--
0. Armor + helmet
1. usp
4. m4/ak
7. awp
Enter. defuse kit
+. HE grenade
-. flash
*. secondary ammo
/. primary ammo

sensitivity 1.8
hud_fastswitch 1
net_graph 3
net_graphpos 3
cl_dynamiccrosshair 0
cl_radartype 1
rate 25000
cl_updaterate 101
cl_cmdrate 101
interp off
unbind q
 
Not believeing any of this.

WASD = movement.
Left click = fire
Right click = zoom, or alt fire
space = jump
left shift = melée in FEAR or CoD2, walk in CS
left Ctrl = crouch in CS, prone in CoD2
C = Crouch in CoD2 (because it's on toggle rather than hold)

rearmost left side mouse button = healthpack in FEAR, mic in CS
foremost left side mouse button = Torch in FEAR

Q = switch weapons in CS
Q/E = lean in other games
 
Typical WSAD, used to be the EDSF...

Space =jump
Ctrl = crouch
shift = walk or sprint
mouse 4 = last weapon
E = use
right mouse = zoom
left mouse = fire


the rest all depend on the game, in UT2K4 and quake games, I bind the weapons to keys
 
Wait a second, people still use the keyboard for games?! That's so 2004. J/k. I jumped on the n50 bandwagon 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I love my n52.
 
WASD for movement.
L Ctrl= Crouch/get on ur belly
shift= walk
caps lock= duck
space= jump
E= use
R= reload
F= flashlight
Q= Ventrilo

Fin!
 
pretty much standard... WASD... but all my Steam games i play with 18~20 sensitivity, and BF2 its at 2.80 for infantry.
 
I use the America's Army default in all my games.

AKA:

WASD
C to Crouch
X to prone
Z to zoom
Space to jump
LCtrl for Ventrilo

and the rest is up to the game
 
I must be a freak.

Mouse 2 - forward
Mouse 1 - fire
Mouse 3 - back

left ctrl - strafe left
left alt - strafe right
left shift - jump
z or c - prone/crouch
a - alt fire/zoom

etc. etc.
 
Tedium said:
I must be a freak.

Mouse 2 - forward
Mouse 1 - fire
Mouse 3 - back

left ctrl - strafe left
left alt - strafe right
left shift - jump
z or c - prone/crouch
a - alt fire/zoom

etc. etc.

freak. :D

I'm a WASD, I basically use all the controls from CSS and incorporate it with all the other games I play.
 
WASD=move
Shift=crouch
Ctrl=walk
Q=previouswep
X=stopsound; room_type 0; etc etc
V=vent
F=ingame
G=drop
R=reload

CS ^^
 
wsda for movement

spacebar = use

shift = jump

everything else default, and reload/zoom/crouch on my mouse.
 
Mine's pretty standard except I use my right mouse for jump and space for secondary fire.
 
I only really play DoD but I still use the arrow keys

up/down/ - forward back
left/right - strafe
right ctrl - crouch
right shift - jump
Enter - use

keypad 0 - reload
keypad 1 - prone
keypad 5 - drop ammo
keypad 4 - drop weapon

End - use comm
/(slash) - stop sound

right click - shoot
left click - alternate fire
mouse wheel - change weapons
mouse wheel button (mouse 3) - sprint
 
WASD for movement.
shift = sprint
space = jump
left ctrl = crouch
q/e = lean/peek (if the game has it)

scroll wheel = weapons
right/left click = primary/alt fire
r = reload
e (or f) = use (e if there is no leaning in the game)
g = drop weapon/kit (switching kits for BF2)
mouse button 4 = on the fly sensitivity (Razer Diamondback)


Saitek Cyborg Evo for all air vehicles.
 
Aeurix said:
One of the better Quakeworld players posted his config in 1997(thresh maybe?) and I've been using it since:

Right Mouse : move forward
Left Mouse: fire
SDF : Strafe Left, Back, Strafe Right
C: Crouch
Space: Jump

It takes a while to get used to the right mouse as forward, but if you think about it the two most important functions should be on the mouse, forward and shoot.

For DoD, I just added R: reload, Z: prone, A: sprint

-Aeurix


well, i guess i dont have to post my config cuz there it is.
been using since quake 1
 
my setup is ,AOE (WASD for you QUERTY users)

I use the dvorak layout.
 
Aeurix said:
One of the better Quakeworld players posted his config in 1997(thresh maybe?) and I've been using it since:

Right Mouse : move forward
Left Mouse: fire
SDF : Strafe Left, Back, Strafe Right
C: Crouch
Space: Jump

It takes a while to get used to the right mouse as forward, but if you think about it the two most important functions should be on the mouse, forward and shoot.

For DoD, I just added R: reload, Z: prone, A: sprint

-Aeurix

Same one I use...I'm surprised more people don't do this...for some reason when I put my finger on W there is an uncomfortable tension placed on it...
 
WASD for movement
Shift=Jump
Ctrl=Crouch
E=Use
F=Flashlight
Left Mouse=Fire
Middle Mouse=Reload
Right Mouse=Secondary fire, Melee attack, or grenade depending on the game

Everything else depends on the game, although I generaly use the same keys for every game.
 
man am I the only one who uses the numberpad?
I use the entire numberpad area for all my games and change up as needed.
I tried that n52 thing what a POS.

Keypad;
8/5 = forward/back
4,6 = strafe l/r
0 = jump
del = crouch
7/9 = lean left/right
1 = reload
3 = nades
minus = flash for Americas Army
Slash = prone for Americs Army
Enter = use
Plus = Zoom
Arrow up = Fix Jam in AA
Arrow down = Report in for AA
Right = talk button for Voice Comms
 
Well, I haven't seen mine posted yet so here goes. Very comfortable, been using this since '96.

left mouse: Back
right mouse: Forward

A: Strafe left
F:Strafe right
D:Main fire
E:Alternate fire
S:Sprint
Left Shift:Use
C: Crouch
Spacebar:Jump
R:Reload

Took me forever to get back to WASD for WOW.
 
Aeurix said:
One of the better Quakeworld players posted his config in 1997(thresh maybe?) and I've been using it since:

Right Mouse : move forward
Left Mouse: fire
SDF : Strafe Left, Back, Strafe Right
C: Crouch
Space: Jump

It takes a while to get used to the right mouse as forward, but if you think about it the two most important functions should be on the mouse, forward and shoot.

For DoD, I just added R: reload, Z: prone, A: sprint

-Aeurix

Another vote for this config, except A=strafe left S=strafe right V=back Z=prone..and middle mouse button is for alt fire, wheel is for weapon selection. Added F for either flashlight or team speak.

I tried the WSAD when I had my first computer, but I couldn't get my fingers to fit very well and having a CAD job gets you very used to using the keyboard and mouse at the same time.

Most all the keys stay the same for every FPS.

Tim
 
WASD

Jump: Space
Crouch: Shift
Walk: Caps lock
12345: Weapons
Mouse 4: Voice
G: Drop weapon
E: Use

This is my CSS Controls but I incorporate as close as possible in every game I play.

I <3 my G15 and G5 :D
 
Here's my setup.

Up down left right = movement
end = reload
back mouse button = jump
forward mouse button = use key
numpad ins, end = quick switch weapons
page down = flash light
delete = depends on the game
shift = walk/run
ctrl = crotch

My setup gives me more room. Which helps to reduce any error in what I want to do. Plus it makes my right hand do more then just aim and fire. Plus having the jump button on the mouse gives my left hand more concentration on movement.

WASD is over rated. I see lots of people overload their left hand and don't try to balance the work over to the right.
 
I use a Nostromo Speedpad n52. although i only have a few keys mapped. cant remmeber any more than about 20 - let alone the 114 combinations or whatever is possible!
 
Up arrow - forward
down arrow - backwards
left arrow - go left
right arrow - go right

left mouse - fire
right mouse - alt fire
CTRL - Jump
Space - duck or run, depending on what the game allows

I turn with the mouse.

Don't deal with the rest of that BS, if I have to take my hands off of the basic keys, the game is too complicated.
 
Arrows! I have fairly large hands and can reach to /';[]\. fairly easily. Use this for most games I play pretty hardcore except when I play(ed) tribes, t2 and t3. Never wanted to even TRY to remap the voice menus. . .gah.

I use sometimes wasd or esdf for quack-based bunnyhopping games. It's easier to bunnyhop with space as jump rather than ctrl, though I can do it. Yes, I'm weird to switch back and forth with impunity.
 
Tedium said:
I must be a freak.

Mouse 2 - forward
Mouse 1 - fire
Mouse 3 - back

left ctrl - strafe left
left alt - strafe right
left shift - jump
z or c - prone/crouch
a - alt fire/zoom

etc. etc.

Far be it from me to call you a name for the way you use your keyboard and mouse but I gotta ask, how do you aim if you use the mouse to move?

Oh, btw, freak.
:)
 
Arrow keys / mouse - movement, high sensitivity
Enter - jump
Shift - duck
Ctrl - sprint
End - reload
\ - misc (flashlight etc)
mouse1 - attack
mouse2 - zoom / alt
mouse3 - use
large side button - melee (knife/gauntlet etc)
small side button - usually a weapon, but I never use it.
mousewheel - weapon switching
Kp zero - toggle walk

rest are game dependant

Edit: as for the mouse1 to walk forward, I have a bud that does that and he is good with his unusual setup.
 
Back
Top