What's your FPS keyboard setup?

Disarray said:
Far be it from me to call you a name for the way you use your keyboard and mouse but I gotta ask, how do you aim if you use the mouse to move?

Oh, btw, freak.
:)

shrug.. Dunno, but that's what I've always used since quakeworld.
 
CS:S-

e - forward
s - strtafe left
d - backward
f - strafe right

a - crouch
shift - walk
t - reload
space - jump

mouse button (browser forward) - use
mosue button (browser back) - voice to team
left mouse button - fire
right mouse button - alt fire
 
hungryduck said:
I use the old EDSF from tribes 2 (my first real fps)
I use the same, cept from Tribes! (but escape from castle wolfenstein was my first real fps)
ESDF
space-jump
alt-crouch
x-set magnification
z-zoom in
sidemouse1-reload
sidemouse2-use
mouse scrollup/down-change weapon
leftm-fire
rightm-alt fire
shift-walk
g-nade/drop weap
etc etc...
 
Built off the old HL setup. I used to use only my right mouse button for moving forward, but now I have the W key do it as well. I only got used to that after I played KOTOR :)

WASD - Forward, Strafe Left, Backward, Strafe Right (respectively)

Ctrl - Crouch
Space - Jump
R- Reload
E/F - Use
Z/X - Zoom or Secondary
Shift - Run
Q/E - Lean
Alt - Prone

LMB - Fire
RMB - Move Forward
MMB - Move Backward

And to think there was a time I played Wolfenstein 3D using the keyboard only...not to mention Commander Keen, Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nukem, Super Munchers, Carmen Sandiego, etc...
 
ESDF for movement (used to be WASD years ago until I realized how awkward it was to have to move my hands over to the home keys just to chat).

right mouse for jump, alt fire on space. occasionally depending on game that might switch. left ctrl usually for crouch. T for talk, R for reload or if there isn't a reload then team chat.
 
esdf

mouse 1 - fire
mouse 2- gun special
mouse 3 push down, ventrilo
mouse 3 scroll - scroll through weapons
mouse 4 - drop weapon

shit - crouch
space - jump
1-5 weapons
tab - reload
qwrt to whatever "use" button or special action you need (flashlight, night vision, etc)

I prefer esdf to wasd so I can easily use my shift button to crouch, tab to reload and I get the extra keys to my left if i need something to be bound there. a 5 button mouse is now a must for me.

* as jennyfur said, using esdf is also nice since when you type to chat your hand is already over the home keys instead of shifting left and right
 
Quake 3/4 setup - every FPS I play I base my cfg off this:

Move: WASD
1: Machine Gun
2: plasma
3: Nail Gun
q: Rocket Launcher
e: Rail Gun
r: Lightning gun
f: Shotgun
x: Grenade Launcher
z: Gauntlet
Tab: Taunt
Space: Walk
Mouse1: fire
Mouse2: jump
Mouse3: Use Item
Mouse5: Zoom
F1-F5: canned team_say or voice binds

+ all sorts of other crap like binds for zoom FOV toggles on space or indoor maps.

I like having jump as Mouse 2, I have more control over movement.
 
I don't use a keyboard for gaming anymore. I have a Belkin n52 and, for those interested, I have it set up as follows:

Thumbpad: movement
Top row of keys: weapons
Middle Row: Jump, crouch, sprint, special moves (i.e. bullet-time)
bottom row: reload quick save/load
orange button: pause or menu
shift button: either redshift (I've never even used the green or blue shifts) or unused
scroll wheel: usually unused.

Mouse #1: Fire
Mouse #2: Alt-fire or sniper scope toggle
Mouse #3: Use object/open door etc.
 
Disarray said:
Nostromo N52 for $30, sounds cheap to me and I love mine.

QFT

Has tons of key and remapping ability.

Nostromo N52 For The Win
 
^Thirded. Like I said above, at most, I've only used 1/2 the possible key maps.
 
STR said:
^Thirded. Like I said above, at most, I've only used 1/2 the possible key maps.
Actually I think you're like sixth or seventh to suggest it in this thread
biggrin.gif


Can't believe you guys use the thumpad for movement though... I'll have to try it I suppose.
 
Sobek said:
Wait a second, people still use the keyboard for games?! That's so 2004. J/k. I jumped on the n50 bandwagon 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I love my n52.
agreed, i picked mine up for 25 shipped about 6months back, and i cant even
remember what life was like before it.
 
Lol, keyboards are for typing....


I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo Forcefeedback joystick in my right hand.
And a trackball in my left hand.

I used to use the Panther Xl back in the day and loved it. But no more driver support...
 
Standard i guess, i use whatever the default controls are. For most fps it's obviously wasd, space bar for jump, ctrl for crouch etc. but for some games like FEAR or Call Duty where some controls are a bit different i just adjust to it.
 
Back
Top