• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What's wrong with my HD5850?

Slim Charles

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
70
I don't get it. Why are the values for clock showing 400/900 no matter what I do?

I tried using MSI Afterburner to monitor if is only in 2d, but apparently the clocks stay the same in 3d as well.

Can anyone help me understand what is happening here?

 
It downclocks if you are not running 3d programs to save power. Run furmark in the background and see if those clocks change.
 
Same thing. This explains why the fan is always super quiet. The card has been broken from the start it seems.

Great, just absofuckinglutely great

Edit: Wow, Window WEI is breaking the card. Apparently it downclocks it for no reason, and the only way to resolve is to restart
 
Last edited:
Could it be a conflict with afterburner? Try running without afterburner. Also what driver version are you using, and are you using the stock bios?
 
Stock Asus Bios. Its definitely Windows WEI, it breaks it. Does anyone know how to stop windows from running WEI randomly in the middle of the night?
 
Mine is showing 157 and 300 for the current values. I assume that is OK in 2D mode.

Before I had an 8800GTS (640 meg). Before I put the new card in, I ran 3DMark Vantage My GPU score with the new 5850 was more than double the old card.

However my Performance index (Win 7 Ultimate) didn't change when I reran after putting the new card in.
(still shows 5.5) I would have thought it would have scored higher.

I'm going to try the new drivers released today to see if anything changes
 
Last edited:
I never quite figured out what makes WEI tick. According to WEI, a HD 4670 is faster than a 8800GT - well, it's not. Also both a Samsung Spinpoint M6, a Spinpoint M7 (both being 2.5" drives) get 5.8, while a WD Caviar Green 3.5" also only gets 5.8 despite being a decent amount faster. Go figure :)

As for WEI running when it should... odd, I have to run it manually myself.
 
BTW: I tried the AMD GPU tool as suggested in this thread. It said no compatible devices found. The latest version I could find was 7/2008.

Anyone know of a more recent version?
 
Back
Top