What's with the lights on the 360 controller?

jlocohustler

Weaksauce
I bought a wired 360 controller for my PC yesterday and I've noticed the green light around the Xbox logo button. What do they do? Note that only no 1 seems to be lit on everytime.

i think the four quadrant lights represent what controller number you are. if another controller is actively paired the light would be in different quadrant.

In other words it means it's the controller #1. Player 2 would have the light #2 on.

It corresponds to the player, if you have a 360 on it will reflect it with the ring around the power button.

It corresponds to the player, if you have a 360 on it will reflect it with the ring around the power button.

and the xbox 360 will display the correct quadrant, reguardless of orientation (has a little orientation sensor inside).

Top left light = 1st player
Top right light = 2nd player
Bottom left light = 3rd player
Bottom right light = 4th player

I don't know if using it on a PC gives you any other functionality, but on the 360, when you get messages from a friend, or you unlock an achievement, the light on the control flashes. The lights do another type of signal flashing when your battery is getting low in the controller as well... obviously not something you'll see since yours is wired.

Top left light = 1st player
Top right light = 2nd player
Bottom left light = 3rd player
Bottom right light = 4th player

I don't know if using it on a PC gives you any other functionality, but on the 360, when you get messages from a friend, or you unlock an achievement, the light on the control flashes. The lights do another type of signal flashing when your battery is getting low in the controller as well... obviously not something you'll see since yours is wired.

It does this if your connected to a windows live game. Press the logo and it opens a windows live drop down.

It makes more sense when you hook it up to an Xbox 360... since there are more games that actually allow two or more people to play at once.

Yeah, its also ties into the simmilar ring lights on the console itself around the power button. Each time a new player's controller is activated, a new quadrent will light up there as well.

Back