whats the *right* update for a 8800GTX

RooK

[H]ard|Gawd
just looking for the right card... only nvidia plz

275?

The GTX 275 has the same two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors as the 8800GTX, and even uses a bit less power than an 8800GTX, but has similar performance to two 8800GTX in SLI.

To others responding: if he had an 8800GTX before, he'll get most or all of the benefit of a GTX 275. And he did say "nvidia only".

4890 or 4870.

A 4870 would be a stupid upgrade. A 10% or so performance increase for $150 or so? Not a good upgrade.

Even a 4890 is not that good of an upgrade for the price.

Wait until ATI releases their DX 11 cards, and then the 4890 will probably drop in price.

The 275 is the right card at the right price. The extra performance of 285 does not justify its price. If you really think you need an upgrade you should do a 275 now and plan on sitting on that card until the DX11 cards come out, possibly in a year. The 275 would probably be enough to enable ambient occlusion in your favorite games.

My 8800GTX seems to be biting the dust. I am looking for an upgrade/replacement as well. I have a 22" LCD widescreen with max resolution of 1680x1050. I am looking for a decent replacement to put me through the current round + next round of games with decent settings. I play mainly FPS+RPG+MMORPG+Strategy games + a few others like GTAIV etc.

Is the 275 still a solid buy for me? or would you recommend another card (nvidia only just like the OP)

My system is a 2.67 Ghz Core 2 Duo. 4GB DDR3 Ram.

Im considering buying a Core 2 Quad Q9550 in the near future (my MB doesnt support i7) so if your thinking the CPU is a bottleneck it will be replaced soon aswell.

:rolleyes:

thanks for contributing so much to the thread Syntax Error...

i upgraded from an 8800gtx to a 260 216 and wasnt terribly impressed. i then stepped up to a 285 and WOW. wish i had done the 285 from the start...

i run all my games in 2048x1280 or 2304x1440...285 is great for high res and AA...

My 8800GTX seems to be biting the dust. I am looking for an upgrade/replacement as well. I have a 22" LCD widescreen with max resolution of 1680x1050. I am looking for a decent replacement to put me through the current round + next round of games with decent settings. I play mainly FPS+RPG+MMORPG+Strategy games + a few others like GTAIV etc.

Is the 275 still a solid buy for me? or would you recommend another card (nvidia only just like the OP)

My system is a 2.67 Ghz Core 2 Duo. 4GB DDR3 Ram.

Im considering buying a Core 2 Quad Q9550 in the near future (my MB doesnt support i7) so if your thinking the CPU is a bottleneck it will be replaced soon aswell.
At that res you wont have any need for more than a GTX260.
GTX275 is still a solid card for the money and may help you move to a very high res display later if that is a concern.
The GTX260 is fine for 1080p.
However your CPU is only good enough to max out an 8800GT but not the newer cards.
I recommend an Intel quad core running at least 3.2GHz if you get a GTX260.
If you step up the resolution, you will see a fps improvement pushing the CPU up to 3.7GHz as most games run on 2 cores making clock speed king.

Be aware you will likely need a PSU upgrade too.

I've been using my 8800GTX at 1680x1050 for what seems like forever at this point, and there doesnt seem to be a lot of games I'm interested in that the card hasn't been able to play.

I'd wait til the next gen of cards.

I've been using my 8800GTX at 1680x1050 for what seems like forever at this point, and there doesnt seem to be a lot of games I'm interested in that the card hasn't been able to play.

I'd wait til the next gen of cards.

if that was in reference to my card, when i say biting the dust, i mean, broken :)

At that res you wont have any need for more than a GTX260.
GTX275 is still a solid card for the money and may help you move to a very high res display later if that is a concern.
The GTX260 is fine for 1080p.
However your CPU is only good enough to max out an 8800GT but not the newer cards.
I recommend an Intel quad core running at least 3.2GHz if you get a GTX260.
If you step up the resolution, you will see a fps improvement pushing the CPU up to 3.7GHz as most games run on 2 cores making clock speed king.

Be aware you will likely need a PSU upgrade too.

I currently have a 750w PSU. If i was going to get the GTX260 (which one would you recommend for it (as in normal, SSC, etc) Stock cooling in a TJ10 ESA case.

what CPU chip would you reccommend? (what fan to go with it or just stock?)

and what PSU would you recommend i upgrade to to power all that stuff?

What 750W PSU do you have, how old is it and how much has it been used?
Let me know if it runs in a hot environment too.
Are ambient temps high?
What case do you have?

I'm shying away from recommending EVGA cards as it seems they try to shaft you when you need support and you only get somewhere after extreme hassle.
Therefore I recommend XFX if you are into modding the card, BFG are ok too if you wont be modding the card.

Which chip is best will be down to the prices where you live.
You want a 45nM Core 2 Quad that will overclock to 3.2GHz or higher.
Which cooler depends on how much you want to spend as well as how high you want to overclock.
If you have the cash get a TRUE 120 and choose a fan that suits your airflow/sound level tastes.

Not sure whose thread this is.

But to the OP's question, yes either the GTX 285 or the GTX 275 are decent replacements for the 8800 GTX. I also went from a 8800 GTX to a GTX 260 and was disappointed. Unless you are sure you will always use a small monitor and never game at 1080p or above, I'd avoid the GTX 260 especially if you were spoilt by the 8800 GTX.

The GTX 285 was the "right" upgrade for me, but that's because Asus went nuts with their pricing in Europe. The Asus GTX 285 (with no extras, no "free" game, no "free" lifetime warranty or useless frills etc.) cost me the same as I paid for my GTX 260 just a few months ago, and is currently almost £100 less than the EVGA GTX 285's...that's around $165 USD less.

But unless you get a deal like that in the states, the GTX 275 is good value for money.

This

Would not go lower or higher for the current models.

Well unless Asus goes crazy in the US as well and prices their GTX 285's less than the competition's GTX 275's. In which case, get the cheaper, more powerful card.

What 750W PSU do you have, how old is it and how much has it been used?
Let me know if it runs in a hot environment too.
Are ambient temps high?
What case do you have?

I'm shying away from recommending EVGA cards as it seems they try to shaft you when you need support and you only get somewhere after extreme hassle.
Therefore I recommend XFX if you are into modding the card, BFG are ok too if you wont be modding the card.

Which chip is best will be down to the prices where you live.
You want a 45nM Core 2 Quad that will overclock to 3.2GHz or higher.
Which cooler depends on how much you want to spend as well as how high you want to overclock.
If you have the cash get a TRUE 120 and choose a fan that suits your airflow/sound level tastes.

I live in California, The PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower (im not at home so cant give exact model) It is either 700w or 750w, i cant quite remember but it is definitely one of those. It was used alot in the first Comp which I had for less than a year before moving most of the parts to the new Silverstone TJ10 ESA case. The temperatures where I am are between 50-85F outdoors, with occasioal heatspells higher (its the SF bay area). The room the computer is in during the summer is the "garage" and so gets a tad hotter than the rest of the house if the computer is left on for a long time. If i am dropping 150-200 on the GTX 260, i wouldnt want to spend more than $400 combined on the PSU and CPU. so thats about my price range, though i could maybe go a tad higher if it was important.

I have an EVGA motherboard and havnt had any problems with them. So I would probably get an EVGA vid card. the main question on which one was just between getting the GTX260 Core 216 normal or Superclocked. or the normal GTX260 or GTX 260 Superclocked.

Hope that answers all your questions. I have some money saved for upgrades and since the vid card i have now is pretty much trashed, id like to get them upgrades in the mail :)

Also I have never heard of the TRUE 120, if you could explain that. :)

I doubt you will be able to buy the older 65nM cards now, they are the only ones that have 192 shaders.
The 55nM cards all have 216 shaders.

I bought the EVGA GTX260 SC 55nM card early this year and cursed when I saw the SSC version just after as it is barely more expensive but has much higher default clocks.
See if any retailers are giving away free games with their cards, you might get lucky, I got Mirrors Edge.
If you dont want to pay the cash for the SSC, get the standard card and clock it yourself, it probably wont overclock as well as the SSC will overclock but there wont be a big % difference.
If you want to get the best, get an SSC and clock it but be sure to look at GTX275 prices in case there is a better deal.

You PSU is good, no problem there.

Google is a great way to quickly find out things :)
TRUE 120 is the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120, the most well known cooler on the market as it has been one of the very top coolers for a long time.
I have one and its everything you could ask for (unless you have a small case).
Your case is big enough to fit the TRUE120.
You will need to buy your own 120mm fan for it.

Get some decent thermal paste too, like MX-2.
I shy away from Arctic Silver as if you get it on the wrong electrical components, it can cause damage (I killed a gfx cards memory with some years ago!).

unfortauntely, that 120 ultra is a little outa my current budget, maybe in a future computer build. If I was to purchase the Q9550 would I be able to overclock it to 3.2Ghz on the stock fan? or would i need to get something else to do that? If so, what chip would i need to do so, or what fan/heatsink combo would do the trick, (the 120 was 133$ on amazon maybe im wrong in where i looked, newegg didnt have it)

Also what chip would you recommend other than the Q9550 then, if its better for OCing, or better bang for my buck.

unfortauntely, that 120 ultra is a little outa my current budget, maybe in a future computer build. If I was to purchase the Q9550 would I be able to overclock it to 3.2Ghz on the stock fan? or would i need to get something else to do that? If so, what chip would i need to do so, or what fan/heatsink combo would do the trick, (the 120 was 133$ on amazon maybe im wrong in where i looked, newegg didnt have it)

Also what chip would you recommend other than the Q9550 then, if its better for OCing, or better bang for my buck.

sounds like a new thread to me. move along

Back