whats the part you hate the most about overclocking?

Hate the most...

"dyno queens"

guys who overclock and benchmark their systems to get really big numbers and thats all they do.

GSRwBOOST said:
Hate the most...

"dyno queens"

guys who overclock and benchmark their systems to get really big numbers and thats all they do.
Then they turn it back to stock, cause it's too loud. :p

I hate that I want to OC every peice of hardware I find.

My wife know just enough about computer to not let me do it to hers. She'll go check in Sandra every time I've been on her machine!>

HEAT

Not in the case, necessarily, but the amount it puts into the room. Makes any room not actively cooled (n/a in winter) a friggin sauna.

Also that I hate having my system crash, so I never push my system to its limits and therefore never get the best possible oc.

And the CMOS.....

PhoenixAshes said:
So will MSI's. On their boards, reboot and hold CTRL and HOME and it'll boot to the last good configuration.

How about Abit NF7-S?

GSRwBOOST said:
Hate the most...

"dyno queens"

what's wrong with that?

hitting the wall is the worst part :)
especially when the wall for your chip is lower than other people's

Darkeone said:
Well, for starters....the instability of it all. If an application craps out...let's see...is it the application at fault or is it because this thing just runs unstable?

I also have figured out that by the time I find some good ram...a high end cooler....fans...blow holes...I could have bought a faster cpu. of course, I'm not the type that buys the fastest out and tries to OC either so a faster cpu is best for me.

Once, I become unhappy about the speed...I buy another CPU and trickle down the last cpu to my other machines.

It's just too much PITA for someone like me...basically someone with little time.

Although I am intrigued with watercooling and everytime I get to where I start thinking about it.....I slap myself before I start buying parts.

Pull the trigger on an EXOS system...you will love it and it is easy to use...Do it, you know you want to...:) I am using mine to cool both of my systems and according to my temps ( I use AIDA32 to watch them ) they never go over 104f at full load.

Ice_Burg said:
Pull the trigger on an EXOS system...you will love it and it is easy to use...Do it, you know you want to...:) I am using mine to cool both of my systems and according to my temps ( I use AIDA32 to watch them ) they never go over 104f at full load.

he said watercooling, he didnt say koolance. dont make him get a subpar system if he wants to do a different system, even a different prekit.

Ice_Burg said:

perfectlty happy with my koolance setup, but im still a little uneasy about having water flow throught my computer. its more expensive than diy kits but its helped me transition to watercooling.

I hate insulating stuff and than realising I want to put it somewhere else. That and not knowing where to put all my hardware. And installing windows.

Installing windows is most likely the thing I hate the most (from hardware failures). Usually have to do it about 3-6 times a year. I've even pretty much memorized my Ser# for my copy of win2k i've typed it in so many times.

I hate re-doing my water cooling (5 mo. refill and bleed) and each time realizing how easily the front plastic intake piece can pop off (hydor L30). I swear, if i turn it with about 3 pounds of pressure the whole thing comes off :eek:. I also hate hitting a wall, I can always up the voltage, but 1.7Volts seems like a risk to me :D.

RandomTrend said:
I hate the fact that i'm never satisfied...i find my stable maximum using stock volts or high...in the following day or two,I'm at it again...trying something that i've tried before a dozen or more times already...just to go back to my stable maximum...ad infinitum.

lmao...that's me exactly...i know it's not going to be stable but i just do it anyway only to go back after i give up...

i also hate the fact that i bought 12 sticks of ram last year (many different brands) to try to get a higher oc only to sell them all and splurge on my mushkin black level 2. so in short, i hate all the money i spend to try and get a higher oc which usually only ends up being 100mhz or less :( .

1. Having a "almost stable" setting but not nearly enough, very much a c**k tease. It'll run, boot, and even prime for a few hours, but every now and then. Bam! restart. :mad:
2. Thinking that you got finally got the right settings for your CPU and the FSB and the voltage, along with the RAM Timings and the CPU:RAM Ratio... then getting the BSOD
3. Not being able to run the same OC as your friends who don't know the first thing about building a computer (since you built it for him) but he lucked out and has over 300 MHz on your ass.
4. Having a OC thats is Almost at the cut off point such as. 2.98X GHz or a 3.59 GHz or a 3.99x GHz
5. Having trouble sleeping because your HSF runs at 6800 RPM and it sounds like someone's mowing the lawn while you sleep (get WaterCooling :D )
6. New Stable BIOS so you Flash it... Shizzle! what the hell were my settings? :confused:
7. Incrementing the FSB until you realize you just corrupted yer HD. Sorry no more NTLDR. :mad:
8. Thinking that Maybe you should have bought that OTHER motherboard.

The thing I don't like about overclocking is the money that i spend on computers and having to justify it to other people who think im absolutly nuts ... or the people who have never oced and think that im doing it wrong.... they can all go to h3ll!!!

I hate:
Doing it then wondering why I'm doing it.
Dropping back then going for broke.
Repeat
Repeat
Questioning previous purchases while contemplating new ones.
Nevermind I love it.

what i hate: (top 11 if i can think of enough)
1. noise (freaking tornado)
2. my POS motherboard (a7n8x deluxe - the original:eek: )
3. when my watercooling leaks (when i use it instead of alpha + tornado)
4. heat (my room gets so freaking hot you wouldn't believe it)
5. my 9000Pro (yeah yeah it's old - bite me:D) that won't go above 297/297 stabily.
6. the fact that no matter how well you do, someone else has done better
7. the extreme lack of money the pursuit of it causes :p
8. the 'reset cmos' thing - the off then on doesn't work for me? (does insert key work on an a7n8x?)
9. occasional random crashes, even after prime95/memtest/whatever runs for a week straight
10. how overclocking (and computers in general) have this amazing ability to ruin your chances of your having a social life
11. and finally, unlocked PCI/AGP bus:mad:. <- the worst. period.

10. how overclocking (and computers in general) have this amazing ability to ruin your chances of your having a social life

Did you HAVE to mention everyones #1 downfall in life? I'm gona go cry in a corner now :(

I hate when you have a set minimum OC that you would be satisfied with in your mind before you OC, and you can only get lower than that as you've maxed out, which really, really sucks :(

especially when it comes to something like having DDR500 RAM and you can only clock DDR480 :(

the part i hate most is my agp/pci is unlocked, my computer is laying in the floor in my room because it wont boot AT ALL - just random beeps, and my cpu idles at 51C stock everything - no ocing ~_~ WEE - and if i try to oc 5mhz past the stock speed i get "dumprep" errors (bsod's) while im in windows and it scares me :eek:

The fact that if you screw up, your warranty is voided, is probably my biggest peeve.

z3r0- said:

Did you HAVE to mention everyones #1 downfall in life? I'm gona go cry in a corner now :(

well, it's true. at least there are internet news sites or we'd never know what was going on:eek: but i'm sorry for making you feel bad. and hey, some of us get lucky:p

just thought of another thing i dislike:
my 2100+ (now dead) palomino that would only get to 1995mhz, and it wasn't stable there (i could get a screenshot though... heh.)

Hard part is time spent to make sure everything works well with all the right settings. What I did with my latest OC is spent 5 weekdays (after work) on finding the best OC setting where it's stable in memtest/windows memtest/prime95/cpu burn/dr hardware, and also the temps were not as hot. Ended up with AXP-Mobile at 2637Mhz 1.9v but was pretty warm so bumped it down to 2532Mhz at 1.82-1.84v after that though, cold bruskie and pizza...then never have to think about it anymore and back to having a life. Stable with memtest for >10 hrs. windows memtest for >8 hrs. prime95 >24 hrs and cpu burn for >12 hrs.

Getting a really good mobo that does insane OC's only to have it die within a week
and get a turd on rma thats unstable 1mhz over default :mad:

Also finding great processors in wierd places, example: finding a 2.4b in an old gateway
that will do 3ghz on stock 4.75v and thinking how many "magic" processors where
sent out to oem land to rot away in a dell or a hp @ default clock.

lentic said:
The thing I don't like about overclocking is the money that i spend on computers and having to justify it to other people who think im absolutly nuts ... or the people who have never oced and think that im doing it wrong.... they can all go to h3ll!!!

Amen brotha. Not to just spending the money, but doing it about once every 2 years.

And most people easily spend that much on their hobbies (cars, audio, sex toys... :eek: )

_G_ said:
Getting a really good mobo that does insane OC's only to have it die within a week
and get a turd on rma thats unstable 1mhz over default :mad:

Also finding great processors in wierd places, example: finding a 2.4b in an old gateway
that will do 3ghz on stock 4.75v and thinking how many "magic" processors where
sent out to oem land to rot away in a dell or a hp @ default clock.
You got that right. I pulled a PII-400 out of a gateway that had a dead mobo, and slapped it in a newer on with PC-150. That thing did 588 with a minimum voltage bump! It's still running at 533 in my sister-in-laws machine.

If anything, I'd have to say it's that added speed boost and 200fps I achieve from it. :eek:

Back