whats the part you hate the most about overclocking?

The_In_Kid

Limp Gawd
what is the part you hate the most about overclocking?

for me i hate selecting ram...

its like the thing that creates the most factors for the ability in the overclock i have to worry about timings/voltage/compatibility/price

what about you guys what do you hate the most about overclocking?

I'm not overjoyed when I have to reset the CMOS after pushing the FSB too high and having to start over again.

bradbowl said:
I'm not overjoyed when I have to reset the CMOS after pushing the FSB too high and having to start over again.
DFI NF2 boards will take care that for you...

with the dfi, you get to choose your saved bios settings... upto 5 or 6 i think... you can rename them however you'd like....

The_In_Kid said:
what is the part you hate the most about overclocking?

I hate the fact that i'm never satisfied...i find my stable maximum using stock volts or high...in the following day or two,I'm at it again...trying something that i've tried before a dozen or more times already...just to go back to my stable maximum...ad infinitum.

yeah clearing the cmos was a time sink..

with the ic7 series,i hold the insert key while i reset/restart,the mem returns to spd and cpu defaults to stock,though the prev. CPU settings are still displayed in the bios...all other bios settings are unchanged.

well what do i hate about overclocking?

hrmmm

i hate the fact that watercooling has became almost pointless (unless u want silence) becuz the prices of hardware going down and it's actually cheaper in the long run to buy yourself a new faster comp

RandomTrend said:
with the ic7 series,i hold the insert key while i reset/restart,the mem returns to spd and cpu defaults to stock,though the prev. CPU settings are still displayed in the bios...all other bios settings are unchanged.

this feature has been in award bioses since the 440bx, not many people know about it or even use it. i try to tell as many people as i can because nobody likes to take their case apart to blow away the cmos everytime they do a bad overclock.

when i keep getting shitty procs, i had a wonderful 2500+, i sold it to my friend :rolleyes:

acascianelli said:
this feature has been in award bioses since the 440bx, not many people know about it or even use it. i try to tell as many people as i can because nobody likes to take their case apart to blow away the cmos everytime they do a bad overclock.

for the A7N8X you dont even have to do that, just turn it off and back on and it bypasses the CPU settings

finding out that you've gotten a crappy CPU for overclocking.
the errors you keep getting with IE or random reboots.

I hate having to reboot and go into the BIOS to change most of the settings. I really wish there was a good Windoze utility that would allow you to change all the settings you can in the BIOS. Sure nVidia has something for the nForce2 boards but it is very limited on most boards.

All I can say is that I like uptime. I haven't installed any new drivers or anything requiring a reboot in more than two weeks because I hate rebooting.

SmokeRngs said:
I hate having to reboot and go into the BIOS to change most of the settings. I really wish there was a good Windoze utility that would allow you to change all the settings you can in the BIOS. Sure nVidia has something for the nForce2 boards but it is very limited on most boards.

All I can say is that I like uptime. I haven't installed any new drivers or anything requiring a reboot in more than two weeks because I hate rebooting.

Abit AI7 has Uguru, Allows you to change everything in windows accept ram timmings. pretty neat tool. Thing I hate most is purchasing hand picked 2500+'s from websites that have them slightly marked up, getting them and yes it's the stepping you want but still a shitty oc. Then repeating this process 13 times until giving up ;)

I wonder where Kyle's post is about his "pop top p4" :eek:
although I guess it was worth it to be one of the first in the 4ghz club. :D

Getting a bad OC cpu, and the repeated trail and error of bios/reboot/prime/bios/reboot/prime until i find out that the OC ive had for the past 6 months is still as good as ill get...

a mix of the few above. Testing for stability at each step up is a PITA. Memtest is really slow too with a gig of ram or more. I generally pump the volts up to whatever is not too much for the day and go for the big o/c. If i can't hit it i'll back down from there and then keep at it. I've found this 'saves time' over slowly bumping up.

Another thing i don't like about o/cing is if you get one of the better boards, chances are there's goign to be a voltage problem. Either the voltage droops at load, or it just won't allow you to hit high enough. VOLT MODS are a PITA... and even though i've done them on various occasion i'm still a bit testy going in and doing them :\

Well, for starters....the instability of it all. If an application craps out...let's see...is it the application at fault or is it because this thing just runs unstable?

I also have figured out that by the time I find some good ram...a high end cooler....fans...blow holes...I could have bought a faster cpu. of course, I'm not the type that buys the fastest out and tries to OC either so a faster cpu is best for me.

Once, I become unhappy about the speed...I buy another CPU and trickle down the last cpu to my other machines.

It's just too much PITA for someone like me...basically someone with little time.

Although I am intrigued with watercooling and everytime I get to where I start thinking about it.....I slap myself before I start buying parts.

I hate the wait in between clocks while checking for stability. It takes forever to bump up 5 at a time to finally find a nice stable clock.

i hate waiting for prime95 to run its course just to find out that it says i'm unstalbe.. then doing it all over again many times

also the fact that i'm never happy.. i'm always tryign to push it more.. and want new stuff but no money to buy it :(

edit:: i'm suprized no one mentioned breaking any hardware yet.. i guess everyone likes buying new stuff :p

I hate never being able to reach a "normal oc"...
Everyone seems to be able to hit a certain speed and when I attempt to get even close to it I crash. The parts I get are usually very close to being good overclockers but I always end up with at least one weird bottleneck.

For example.
Compaq 1.8ghz p4 if the bios let me im sure I would have been able to push a intel further than stock...

PC #1, if I got the DFI anything other than the nf2 400al then I could adjust my voltage and push it to better speeds, instead I end up with the ability to overvolt my ram... -_- Highest was 3000+ equivalent.

PC #2, besides getting my old ram this thing should be nicely overclockable.. the board lets me adjust voltages multi and fsb.. The cpu was even unlocked!. Unfortunately, this thing has a terrible heat problem... idles at like 150F I assume the thermal probe is off by at least 20F but still.
Highest was 2600->2700...

Oh and BSOD... hate that.

Getting a barely stable OC that you think is good enough to work with, trying to push higher after bumping up the volts a bit, discovering that higher doesn't work, trying to back down to your mostly stable OC...and being completely unsuccessful in even booting to windows.

I _almost_ had a 2500+M up to 2.7, it was stable into windows, but running 3dMark03 or prime would cause a hard freeze. So I try to back down to 2.6 which was stable for 3dMark and just needed some tweeking for prime stability...and now it freezes booting to windows with the exact same settings I tried it out with earlier.

Atragon said:
I _almost_ had a 2500+M up to 2.7, it was stable into windows, but running 3dMark03 or prime would cause a hard freeze. So I try to back down to 2.6 which was stable for 3dMark and just needed some tweeking for prime stability...and now it freezes booting to windows with the exact same settings I tried it out with earlier.
what mommyboard is that?

if yours is bootable@ 2.7ghz, you'll probably need to jack it down to 2.5'ish(or mid 2.5s) to run prime... i kinda doubt you will be rock solid running prime@ 2.6. Cause? answers: heat and the natural voltage fluctuation & spikes coming from your mommyboard....

I hate testing for stablity while playing games just when you think its stable during the best game of your life bsod

well my damn cpu is a bad overclocker, and i hate when my cmos resets itself when i push the fsb or voltage too high... gotta redo all the settings... ugh...

DFI Lanparty B, I love it!

Actually, I'm figuring that 2.6 will be stable, I didn't do any voltage tweaking at that voltage.

I'm still figuring out my max OC, I was leaving FSB at 200 and toying with multi...now I get to jiggle FSB upwards to see how good my RAM is. And then combine the two.

Atragon said:
DFI Lanparty B, I love it!

Actually, I'm figuring that 2.6 will be stable, I didn't do any voltage tweaking at that voltage.

I'm still figuring out my max OC, I was leaving FSB at 200 and toying with multi...now I get to jiggle FSB upwards to see how good my RAM is. And then combine the two.
nice board.... i like it as well. i got LP b too.

vcore voltage regulation is even more so worse than the other boards, so you'll be fighting with it. Like you've said, you didn't tweak the voltage settings yet so there maybe better chance getting it prime stable at 2.6. Your CPU is better than that, I know. That's probably the "2.70ghz prime stable CPU" in other mommyboard platform.. Cool it as much as you can.

blindviper said:
I hate testing for stablity while playing games just when you think its stable during the best game of your life bsod
Run "In-place Large FFTs(with some RAM tested)" in the Prime95 torture options. It's the middle one. This still puts moderate stress on the memory, strong enough to test out your system intensely. If yours pass 2~ 3 hours of it, your system is reliable enough to game and do other apps without getting BSOD or other errors. I would also run "Small FFTs (CPU intensive)" test just to make sure your CPU department is rock stable. it's the first one.

Back